Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Just won me $100

Old
Just won me $100 - Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi guys,

I did it, I slowly grinded my bankroll 100 bucks up from where I started. Most of this comes from $1.50 6max hyper SNGs, the only game where I show a constant profit. Now I consider moving up to the $3.50.
I thought this was a good point to ask how I could further improve my game. How can I identify leaks or evaluate my progresses?
Should I buy a specific book? Or software like SNG wizard?
Any advice is welcome.

Olaf

Old
Wed Aug 14, 2013, 04:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
hi, i would personally recommend Holdem Manager software,I understand that you can get it on 3 months free tial, its certainly a very powerfull tool for self analysis. This link will take you to the site for further info.

Old
Wed Aug 14, 2013, 09:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Or Pokertracker4 but I believe you would gain more by analyzing your hand histories, taking notes on certain opponents, and minimizing leaks on your game.
Books or training videos will help you and can be found almost anywhere, also posting in poker forums helps.

Old
Wed Aug 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBG73PA View Post
Hi guys,

I did it, I slowly grinded my bankroll 100 bucks up from where I started. Most of this comes from $1.50 6max hyper SNGs, the only game where I show a constant profit. Now I consider moving up to the $3.50.
I thought this was a good point to ask how I could further improve my game. How can I identify leaks or evaluate my progresses?
Should I buy a specific book? Or software like SNG wizard?
Any advice is welcome.

Olaf
Hi,

Glad to see that you are enjoying this unique format of NLHE and showing a solid profit throughout your current sample size! I wish you all the best when taking a shot at the $3.50 6-Max Hypers. Food for thought, but certainly not written in stone, before moving up to the $3.50's try playing a minimum of 1000 games at the $1.50 level, get an idea of your win rate and fix and/or adjust leaks through out that sample before moving up! You can post here in the forum for discussion about hypers, we'll help you along the way!

Yes I strongly suggest playing around with SNG wizard, get it! Also, in the above posts..get Poker Tracker or Hold'em Manager, it's important to have stats on your opponents..they both offer a FREE 30 day trial..so get your feet wet!

Try making a poker goal and/or 'to do list'. Here is an example:

1.) Play X amount of games per day and/or week, make a volume goal! example: 50 games per day, 350 games a week, 1400 games a month. It'll be difficult to move up stakes if you do not play frequently!

2.) Have X amount of buy-ins for the level you are presently at or trying to climb too to help sustain swings. (eg. 50 to 100 buyins) If you drop below X amount for your required buy-ins drop down a level and rebuild, to often I've seen players chase loses..it can turn out to be a heater.. but could also end up in disaster, don't let self entitlement, tilt or ego blind you during your path to low stakes or mid stakes!

3.) Review your sessions via Poker Tracker 4 or Hold'em Manager 2 replayer (if you are not able to afford this at the moment try getting Universal Replayer "it's free" and I use it frequently to review my heads up sng matches, see if there are any spots that you should have been jamming ATC (any two cards) BvB (blind versus blind), 3bet stealing versus habitual CO or BTN opener with (60%+ range) as the majority of the time they'll get it in with you super light or fold their dead moeny and you won't be giving up to much EV by folding or calling off Ax K8s+ Q9+ etc.. based on stack depths, amount of players remaining, villain tendencies/known ranges etc..

3.) Get comfortable calling off light or jamming light, this is a format of very small edges. Focus on mastering push fold ranges based on stack depths/blind level, amount of players to act, how many to go until ITM!

4.) Mix in some Heads Up Hyper Turbos into your daily grind, this will help improve your end game 3handed or heads up, if you can get an edge playing heads up in these 6max hypers..your ROI will certainly reflect it =) I can help you with heads up sngs as this is one of my specialties..if you have any questions just make a thread or PM me.

5.) Find mentors that are experienced in the hyper or turbo format for heads up or 6max! This will help improve your poker schemata!

6.) Don't tilt! It's easier said than done! If you can maintain your composure after taking an atrocious beat or bubbling ITM..this will give you an edge when putting in a huge amount volume.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and good decisions,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Wed Aug 14, 2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 14, 2013, 06:47 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
^^^
THIS POST SHOULD BE A STICKY!

Great stuff Cannon.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com