Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$3.50 9 man sng

Old
$3.50 9 man sng - Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

Villain - 22/10

Flatted pre because i have position and didnt want to inflate the pot with a hand like AJ

Good flop for me but still worried about overpairs and sets, he donk lead flop and i raised to find out where i was at, after he called i wasnt really sure what i could beat here.

Any ideas?

Ads

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
There's no fold for me with TPTK, yes he might have qq+ but pot is to huge to fold there, I'm sure he might shove there even 55 or AT.

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichi-77 View Post
There's no fold for me with TPTK, yes he might have qq+ but pot is to huge to fold there, I'm sure he might shove there even 55 or AT.

I guess your right here, he could also have a lot of Jx hands that i beat.

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 09:50 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
The post-flop action should give you lots of clues. You raised - he called. To me that means that you can exclude a few hands that he could possibly have: QQ, KK. The aggression on the turn should give you more clues: he's definitely not slow-playing anything, definitely not a monster. No aces, not even a jack. His shove is a (successful) attempt to steal the pot. I see it as a bluff or semi-bluff. If he had a strong hand he could let you lead and just check-call or check-raise the turn. So I'd put him on a KQ or AT, or maybe 99 or 88. The hands I'd be worried about are JT and maybe 98 but given your stack, I would definitely call the shove anyway.

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2011
Stats and reads would be useful here. He only has 12 BBs to start the hand and is raising instead of shoving. A solid reg player might take this line with a monster hand like AA or KK to induce some action so I would not discount these hands here.

Given this I would either fold or shove pre-flop but i'm leaning towards shoving pre. You said that you flatted because you don't want to inflate the pot with a hand like AJ, as he has 12BBs it is all going in more times than not so I think you need to either commit to AJ or fold pre.

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 11:14 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi ads,

I know I preach this a lot, but I really don't like raising "to see where I'm at", especially in a spot like this. Raise for value, or as a bluff. If he had 3b jammed the flop you were folding I assume. The problem is it doesn't give you reliable information, he might just shove TT because he's got a pair and decides to go with it. The guy seems a bit passive by nature at 22/10, so I think you can get good information cheaper by just flatting for 245 instead of raising to 550... if he bombs the turn he's probably got it, if he checks, you're almost always good and can value bet vs. Jx and worse pairs. Or you can decide to commit and raise but then don't fold.

As for what he had...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccy View Post
The post-flop action should give you lots of clues. You raised - he called. To me that means that you can exclude a few hands that he could possibly have: QQ, KK. The aggression on the turn should give you more clues: he's definitely not slow-playing anything, definitely not a monster. No aces, not even a jack. His shove is a (successful) attempt to steal the pot. I see it as a bluff or semi-bluff. If he had a strong hand he could let you lead and just check-call or check-raise the turn. So I'd put him on a KQ or AT, or maybe 99 or 88. The hands I'd be worried about are JT and maybe 98 but given your stack, I would definitely call the shove anyway.
I think this is a nice range assessment. Think about it, you said you were raising for information, the information you got back was that he didn't have an overpair (since he would likely 3b jam those), which means you're probably in the lead. Maybe he flats an overpair sometimes, but at least I'd think you're in the lead a fair bet. The turn card doesn't really change anything, unless he has specifically TT or JT, you're still in the lead. And given that you raised him on a dry flop, he would possibly check those to you to let you hang yourself on the turn rather than open jam and risk you folding.

I actually expect him to fold to the flop raise mostly when behind, but when he only calls, I would still assess that AJ is ahead of most of that calling range, and with a fairly non-scary turn card I would call this off personally.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotiveKiwi View Post
Stats and reads would be useful here. He only has 12 BBs to start the hand and is raising instead of shoving. A solid reg player might take this line with a monster hand like AA or KK to induce some action so I would not discount these hands here.
Hi Kiwi,

I think you missed some info... stats are 22/10 so not a solid reg (probably not too many of those in 3.50's anyway I'd guess... solid regs would crush that level and move up pretty quickly would be my guess). And he's got 35bb's to start, not 12. I think the positional flat was fine here preflop personally.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com