Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder - Dianaswift

Old
Bankroll Builder - Dianaswift - Thu Aug 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Hi. I would like to take part in the Bankroll builder Promotion.

Last edited by dianaswift; Thu Aug 15, 2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaswift View Post
Hi. I would like to take part in the Bankroll builder Promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello dianaswift,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:39 PM
(#4)

Here's a hand i'de like to know how I could of played it differently and if I should of just folded pre, I was playing TAG until I saw lots of people where trying to snatch blinds and re raising BB to steal so I wanted to see a flop.

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:47 PM
(#5)

I don't know if this hand could also be looked at, I liked the suited connectors on a wide bored and when the person i went HU with checked on the flop I felt he was weak, played a small bet to just see if he was going to shove, because he limped I felt that he thought i'de hit the flop, when he checked the turn i was pretty sure he had air and push in a high bet as I had him covered and was pretty sure he wouldn't want to risk half his stack. Is this a correct thinking process when i'm drawing air? If he would of pushed after the flop bet I would of folded.

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 06:14 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi dianaswift,

I will be your Hand Analyzer for this post
Limping into pots is generally a non-profitable play. I would have either raised or folded preflop.
After we limp into the hand and the BB makes a big raise, I'm ready to let it go.
Although your bluff worked this time, I think on the long run these kind of plays will be high variance and costing us a lot of money.

GL at the tables!

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 09:31 AM
(#8)
Hi dianaswift,

Now just let us know when you have passed the Poker Basics quiz and we can award you with your first bonus and move onto the next step!

flophitter

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 09:37 AM
(#9)
Thanks for the analysis on the first hand I too feel a fold Pre is the best option statistically and should of had more discipline. Any chance on the second hand?

I've also passed the poker quiz so am ready for the next level

I look forward to it.

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#10)
I passed my test, will i now be able to progress?

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#11)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 01:04 PM
(#12)

This is the hand i'de like check out please. I also feel i'm folding hands like Jh8c pre flop or variants of such and the flop comes and i'm getting 2 pair or hitting something. Should i really be playing so tight or when do you loosen up abit? In last position if i can see a cheep flop? I feel this is a key part of my game I need to address rather then sticking to premium hands.

Last edited by dianaswift; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
(#13)
3 reasons why players may want to make big bets.

1) To gain value from very strong hands (flop a monster and want to get a big pot)

2) To protect against strong draws if it's a wet board (making a small bet would mean villain is more likely to hang around in the pot)

3)To put pressure on opponents (you are holding or want to represent a big hand and willing to put up a big bet to show that).

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#14)
Hi dianaswift,

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step, meanwhile just let me know when you pass the Cash Game quiz.

Cheers!

flophitter

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi dianaswift! I'll analyse the hand in post #12.

It's OK to call pre-flop with A8s in the SB here, but only because it's multiway, which means there's more chance of you winning a big pot if you make a monster. Heads up, I'd just fold, because playing out of position (OOP) is neither fun or profitable. Your aim with A8s is to hit trips or the nut flush, because just making a pair of 8s will be no good, and the ace has a bad kicker.
As played, you hit an 8 on KT8, and checking to the pre-flop raiser is standard. You could call a bet and see if you improve on the turn, but here it's checked around. Since there was no betting, it seems likely that no one has a king, so you might have the best hand. When you pick up the nut flush draw (NFD) to go with 3rd pair, I like betting, but your size is too small. Try to always bet at least half pot on the flop and turn, to get value for your hands and to make it a mistake for villains to call with draws. One villain calls, and he is likely to have a ten or a draw, perhaps with QJ. The river is basically a blank, and I would check here. The problem with betting is that you're unlikely to get called by worse. Villain will most likely check behind with any hand with showdown value. Here he calls with QT, which is a trivial call, because he had a good price. I think you could have saved yourself 12c by checking the river and showing down. Money saved is as good as money earned.

Regarding your question about seeing hands you folded that would have made big hands, this is a common affliction for beginners. It's called "results-oriented thinking". You shouldn't be concerned with how boards run out if you fold. You should focus on making +EV decisions; decisions that have a positive expected value. Playing trash like J8o is not +EV. Indeed, very few hands make money in the long run, so you need to be very patient and wait for them. For further advice on which hands are good to play in each position, have a look at my blogs. Part 8 of my ABC series will give you lots of advice on the hands you can call raises with in late position.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:08 PM
(#16)
Wow thanks a lot that is a massive help. I can see how going with a bigger bet to push the guy of been better and perhaps could of swooped it. Ok i'm happy that I did afew steps correctly and how you where explaining it was my thought process at the time.

Also thank you very much for the advice about "results-oriented thinking" Atleast I know i'm on the right track and in fairness I busted out today while not being disciplined and folding these trash hands, but hey that's why i'm a fish still. Not for long I hope. I will give these blogs a read 100%

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 10:15 PM
(#17)

Hiya, Just to let you know I passed the cash game test! I'm feeling a lot more confident and I think if I play with a lot more folding discipline and really just play premium hands and utilise my position I can make the next $2 work. Also I feel picking the right table is very important which I didn't think about at all before.

I'm ready for my next step and raring to go!

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#18)
Hello dianaswift,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
(#19)
Before I attempt to run it up i'd like to know if there is a general rule of thumb for our Post flop play. I'm confident in how much I should be raising pre flop ( 3-4x big blind, for every limped I x1 for every re raiser I 3x there bet or 1 big blind)

However in Post flop if I still feel I have the strongest hand, say i flop a monster but I have a fish or someone who just likes putting chips in how much should my raise or bets be relative to the pot? should it always be big bets (3/4 of the current Pot) and if i'm last to act how much should my raise now be? do i had his bet/raise onto the pot and then do 3/4 of that. I feel this is a very fundamental part of the game that I would consider myself weak in (correct bet sizing) as there is always a correct betting size relevant to effective stacks and pot sizes where I would be making the most money, this I am struggling with.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and if I get a reply could if be with some example numbers please.

Thankyou
Diana

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 02:39 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Diana!

Good bet-sizing is a crucial skill to master. You wouldn't be making a huge mistake if you always bet 2/3 of pot whether you have a monster, one pair, or some kind of draw, but I tend to vary my bet-sizes according to mumber and tendencies of villains, the strength of my hand, and the board texture. You can even set up the Pokerstars software to create shortcut buttons for common bet-sizes. For example, you might have your shortcut buttons set to 55% of pot, 70% of pot, and 85% of pot. (See this blog for more information on how to set up the bet-slider options, which are shown in the third screengrab).
If you set up three different sizes, which we'll call "small" (about half pot), "medium" (about two thirds of pot) and "large" (close to pot), then you can use them as follows:
Small - for heads ups pots, on dry boards, especially when you are (semi-)bluffing.
Medium - for heads up pots, on dryish boards, when you have at least top pair.
Large - for multiway or heads up pots, when the board is wet (lots of draws), and you have a strong value hand, such as TPTK or better.

In short, you'll tend to bet larger when you have a good hand and you expect to get called, and you'll bet smaller when you don't have much of a hand, but you think villain will fold fairly often.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com