Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Sick cooler in Premier League, or is the iso-ship a mistake?

Old
Sick cooler in Premier League, or is the iso-ship a mistake? - Thu Aug 15, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm sitting in 4th of about 40 players remaining in the Premier Skill League tourney, and the money bubble has burst.

I briefly considered flatting the open shove, but then realised I'd throw up if the big blind (a LAG) either flatted in position or squeeze-shoved.
Figuring the BB couldn't call with anything less than QQ if I jammed, I chose to ship all in to isolate the open-raiser.
Unfortunately, the BB woke up with QQ and I got crippled.

Is there any other way to play this hand, given the skill league format?

I ask, because after typing "Wow, sick cooler" in the chatbox, someone at the table said I made a bad shove, and that I perhaps should have called the raise and folded to a shove; a line that seems absurd, given that a third of my stack would be committed to the pot.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 06:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
you only have 15 bb's so for sure its a raise or fold situation rather than call fold to a shove. I would base my decision on my read of the initial raiser who only had 4 bb but is in early position rather than the slim possibility that the BB has a monster.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 07:55 PM
(#3)
Because it's League format and unless you are in the top 5 (I think), Going all in at this point won't make a difference

But if this wasn't a league, I'd be calling and I'd still have about 10BB

Just my 1 cents

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 11:34 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Arty,

Shoving to isolate the 4bb stack shover when you have 15bb's is significantly better than than flatting and folding off 25% of your stack without even seeing a flop, or letting a loose BB player peel a flop with QJ just because he thinks he's getting a good price.

If I did flat for some reason, it would never be to fold to a shove from a LAG in the big blind, it would be to fist pump call a shove from him (I'd be hoping to induce a light shove from a LAG). TT isn't quite strong enough to induce and there's more value in isolating than risking a flat by some weird hand or weak over cards imo.

Don't be worried about monsters under the bed. 98.2 times out of 100 the BB won't have JJ+.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 03:47 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
I am never cold calling or folding.
Ship ip it in, unless initial shover is a huge nit.
Chatbox advices lol.

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 06:09 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
@ArtySmokesPS /..If I had the QQ.. I would have re-raised you...

We all have that moment where we think our PP's cannot be beaten, KA is best /..etc. etc

..if you were the chip leader at the table 3/1 .. the other player with QQ may have reconsidered. It's not wrong what you did ..it's just poker that happened .

nic

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:50 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Arty,

Since I'm already ITM and there are point bonuses for FT's, the next goal is to get to the FT. From the looks of the chip stacks at the table, I don't have enough to get there, so I'm looking for any spot that I can to gain chips. Instant ship from me.. and yes, I said SHIP, not leave 400 cab fare. To some players, they will fold if you ship, but may call in a race situation if you leave chips.. so just get them in. Unlucky result, but I'm playing these here every time.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm not sure why the replayer shows 400 chips behind for both the initial raiser and me. It must be a strange bug, becauze we were both definitely all in.

Thanks all for the responses.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com