Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Playing at Your Level: When Ego Meets Humility

Old
Playing at Your Level: When Ego Meets Humility:Part 2 - Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar
By DrEllenCait

I said I would wait up to 2 weeks to report back to you, to let you know how I was doing, playing at my appropriate level—given I have only really been playing seven+ months—rather than $60 Sit and Go tournaments, by way of example. As Tendler, author of ‘The Mental Game of Poker’ says:

"Once exposed, players often feel relieved that they no longer have to protect these lies. Freed to focus on their game in a real way, they use the mental energy that was previously protecting their confidence to identify and improve their poker weaknesses. It can be tough to face the weaknesses in your game, but it’s better than pretending they don’t exist
"

But I am too excited to wait 24 hours, let alone 14 days. So I started with 2NL cash game. It was humbling as I ensured the amount was set on $2.00 with no ‘auto re-buy’. Three times I had to manually add another $2.00 but it seems after those rude awakenings, either I settled down or my ‘villains’ showed their empathy for me. I moved from $2, to $2.60 when my pocket nines became triplets; to $5.25 when an all-in with QQ by one of my ‘friends’—indeed by now my opponents were generous friends--met my TTTK (pair of Aces and Kings); till I waited for my KQc met up with 3 more clubs. I had redeemed my $6.00 and now, slowly and deliberately, I ended the evening with a plus $19. Maybe it was a mirage so I went at it again yesterday, winning a cool $24. I just topped that with another $12 prior to this blog. Okay, it wasn’t the $400 and $600 one can win in a hefty buy-in Sit & Go, but I felt that bets, raises, and showdowns—where my stats are always lowest—were more solid, rather than luck by the seat of my pants.

2NL Zoom proves more challenging. Yes, there is a ‘Fast Fold’ button but beware of hitting the button—why do I think of it as the button that can blow up the world? (The answer likely has to do with the world of Egypt & Syria today, but enough with stream of consciousness. . .) On the button, on the blinds, beware of robotically hitting ‘Fast Fold.’ The button allows us hands such as J9s, KJo, and such to open the betting while remember, the blinds are still there to be stolen. Gareth’s great videos on Zoom where he focuses on every hand he plays and attempts to determine what his opponents would think he is holding—keeps playing through my mind. My first attempt to bet on the river with the King, did me no good as my opponent wins with quad Kings! But I did have AA and a third A on the draw—unlucky isn’t the word I waver for hours between $1.53 and $2.66. I did stop while ahead at about $2.40! More on Zoom to come over time..

So now to Sit & Goes. With trepidation, I played a 45-person $3.50 buy-in. I busted out on the very first showdown. My gutshot, no matter how hard I tried to pray that I had it on the river--bad poker, especially since I could not win to the real nuts. I didn’t give up, though, and a few hours later went back to the same tournament; however, I thought a 45-handed one was just beyond my comfort level, The least expensive 18-handed Sit & Go had a $7 buy-in. (I guess a $3.50 18-handed isn’t worth the win or the profit.) So I took from my cash games winnings, keeping my bankroll slim. For some reason, likely because I have been playing with it as though it’s a game of Trivial Pursuit, my PT4 Hud went south on me. Initially I felt like a baby without my pacifier; however, after a while, I enjoyed analyzing opponents without anything but my observations and to my credit, I feel I got it right. The turning point in the tournament was when it was fashionably all-in time. A fellow with a decent size stack had shoved in a number of times and he was at it again. The board was dry; I held AQs with the most chips at the table, about 6500. I, too, went in, garnering all the chips as I drew the nuts. Yes, I was lucky but I did feel I was reading the table well and I came in first.

Thus in about 72 hours, I won $55 in cash games, oh about ,50 from Zoom and for 1st place, $114.66 from the Sit & Go, minus the $3.50 for the first one, for a total of $177.16. Will I sustain this? Who knows, but the key is this: I rarely bluffed or semi-bluffed—what I call my bullying—and I felt no lies to myself, the most important part of this summary, as without our honest dignity, what do we have?

Read more: Playing at Your Level: When Ego Meets Humility:Part 1 (DrEllenCait) –

Last edited by DrEllenCait; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2013
Wow,

you were up to $19 one night, and $24 the second night playing 2nl cash game!! I'm no where near that.

Awesome!

pullin

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Sorry, and then another $12!!!!

AWESOME!!

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
It sounds like you went on a sick heater. How many hands did you play, and was this full ring or 6-max?

FWIW, I think you should have auto rebuy switched on. There's almost no benefit to letting your stack size dwindle, other than it indicates you're unlikely to be a reg.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
FWIW, I think you should have auto rebuy switched on. There's almost no benefit to letting your stack size dwindle, other than it indicates you're unlikely to be a reg.
I disagree, but to each their own

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
I disagree, but to each their own
How come every post in reply to Arty is you disagree? I dont see the point either in playing with a small stack because you win less with your monsters and regs will think your weak and try and put you to tough decisions.

Though i don't mind cashing out every time when you double up like you do.

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Really, every post.... LOL

I don't use rebuy and will never do. When my stack gets low, I reduce my range at that table and play ABC until my stack is back up.

I think that beginning players shouldn't rebuy (top up). Most of them are still in the learning stage and this will just get them to spew and spew and spew more chips.

If your stack diminishes, don't rebuy, learn to build it back up and use patience. In other words go back to ABC poker. No need to get fancy and steal, protect, CBet all the time.

PS. I've got nothing against Arty. In this case yes I disagree, but usually I give my opinion. Arty is a by the book and numbers guy, but there's more to it than that. I've said it before, Arty is very very good with all the theory aspect of the game. Take time to watch Felix's videos and you'll understand.

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2011
I don't think beginners or those prone to spewing should have autorebuy when you drop below 100bb turned on as you can easily lose track of how much you are down without ever really noticing it. I auto top up when below 80bb (which the software lets you easily do) so I notice it when I am topped back up.

I would never use the Sandtrap approach of working back up rather than topping up, especially if I was the crusher that he is but I understand the reasoning and like he says, to each their own!

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 03:45 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEllenCait View Post
By DrEllenCait

I said I would wait up to 2 weeks to report back to you, to let you know how I was doing, playing at my appropriate level—given I have only really been playing seven+ months—rather than $60 Sit and Go tournaments, by way of example. As Tendler, author of ‘The Mental Game of Poker’ says:

Once exposed, players often feel relieved that they no longer have to protect these lies. Freed to focus on their game in a real way, they use the mental energy that was previously protecting their confidence to identify and improve their poker weaknesses. It can be tough to face the weaknesses in your game, but it’s better than pretending they don’t exist."

But I am too excited to wait 24 hours, let alone 14 days. So I started with 2NL cash game. It was humbling as I ensured the amount was set on $2.00 with no ‘auto re-buy’. Three times I had to manually add another $2.00 but it seems after those rude awakenings, either I settled down or my ‘villains’ showed their empathy for me. I moved from $2, to $2.60 when my pocket nines became triplets; to $5.25 when an all-in with QQ by one of my ‘friends’—indeed by now my opponents were generous friends--met my TTTK (pair of Aces and Kings); till I waited for my KQc met up with 3 more clubs. I had redeemed my $6.00 and now, slowly and deliberately, I ended the evening with a plus $19. Maybe it was a mirage so I went at it again yesterday, winning a cool $24. I just topped that with another $12 prior to this blog. Okay, it wasn’t the $400 and $600 one can win in a hefty buy-in Sit & Go, but I felt that bets, raises, and showdowns—where my stats are always lowest—were more solid, rather than luck by the seat of my pants.

2NL Zoom proves more challenging. Yes, there is a ‘Fast Fold’ button but beware of hitting the button—why do I think of it as the button that can blow up the world? (The answer likely has to do with the world of Egypt & Syria today, but enough with stream of consciousness. . .) On the button, on the blinds, beware of robotically hitting ‘Fast Fold.’ The button allows us hands such as J9s, KJo, and such to open the betting while remember, the blinds are still there to be stolen. Gareth’s great videos on Zoom-- where he focuses on every hand he plays and attempts to determine what his opponents would think he is holding—keeps playing through my mind. My first attempt to bet on the river with the King, did me no good as my opponent wins with quad Kings! But I did have AA and a third A on the draw—unlucky isn’t the word I waver for hours between $1.53 and $2.66. I did stop while ahead at about $2.40! More on Zoom to come over time..

So now to Sit & Goes. With trepidation, I played a 45-person $3.50 buy-in. I busted out on the very first showdown. My gutshot, no matter how hard I tried to pray that I had it on the river--bad poker, especially since I could not win to the real nuts. I didn’t give up, though, and a few hours later went back to the same tournament; however, I thought a 45-handed one was just beyond my comfort level, The least expensive 18-handed Sit & Go had a $7 buy-in. (I guess a $3.50 18-handed isn’t worth the win or the profit.) So I took from my cash games winnings, keeping my bankroll slim. For some reason, likely because I have been playing with it as though it’s a game of Trivial Pursuit, my PT4 Hud went south on me. Initially I felt like a baby without my pacifier; however, after a while, I enjoyed analyzing opponents without anything but my observations and to my credit, I feel I got it right. The turning point in the tournament was when it was fashionably all-in time. A fellow with a decent size stack had shoved in a number of times and he was at it again. The board was dry; I held AQs with the most chips at the table, about 6500. I, too, went in, garnering all the chips as I drew the nuts. Yes, I was lucky but I did feel I was reading the table well and I came in first.

Thus in about 72 hours, I won $55 in cash games, oh about ,50 from Zoom and for 1st place, $114.66 from the Sit & Go, minus the $3.50 for the first one, for a total of $177.16. Will I sustain this? Who knows, but the key is this: I rarely bluffed or semi-bluffed—what I call my bullying—and I felt no lies to myself, the most important part of this summary, as without our honest dignity, what do we have?

Read more: Playing at Your Level: When Ego Meets Humility:Part 1 (DrEllenCait) –
Hi DrEllen.. Please to meet you. This very issue used to be my own problem. My mental block was my own self-belief .. I have been playing "bad poker" but in 'my mind" ..it was Ok.. I have been playing 5 years with little to show for my efforts. Something clicked and with the generosity of PSO , I have made $45 this past week from scratch.. then yesterday I fell back to $20 (playing out of my comfort zone again).. today I went back to my comfort zone.. I have not looked back yet and I will become better..thank you for this input.. I will use it ..thank you very much Dr..

nic

Old
No. of Boards, etc - Fri Aug 16, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Hey Arty,

I busted out within 10 minutes during the 1st Sit & Go and the second one took at most 1.5 hours.. Remember my HUD needs to be re-installed so I don't have exact numbers of boards but this was all over about 3.5 days. One of the reasons I like 18 versus 45-handed, is that with 18, the 3 stages merge and before you know it, people have busted given how many shove all-in. It happened to be a relatively easy one for me as I had 18,000 chips and 2nd place throughout had about half that amount. HU didn't last that long either as he went all-in--after about 15 minutes--with JJ and I had 2 Aces plus a friendly board.

With Zoom I just wanted NOT to lose money so even. Even if 50 hands were dealt to me, remember, the wonders of Zoom are that one chooses which to play, likely 24-30% max.

I deliberately did not auto-rebuy as I was far less concerned what others thought of me and way more concerned about how much money I was putting out versus how much I won/lost. Thank you Sandtrap! (We can respect someone & still disagree with them!) The worst part is I don't have the hands to review but that will be fixed by this eve.

All in all, I really don't think I played more hands than many who play long tournaments. I work; I raise kids; we all go out camping and my family is my priority. I fit in poker as I can and feel more laid back about my relatively new challenge now than when I was over-reaching, over-spending.

Last edited by DrEllenCait; Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old
Hey Nic - Fri Aug 16, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Sounds like we are new online poker friends! So many of us struggle with the same issues but are afraid to let others know, as though we are supposed to be the epitome of perfection Like so much in life, learning is never ending and instead of being ashamed of that, we ought to rejoice All I can say is stay honest with yourself, play in your comfort zone until maybe one day that zone changes and pat yourself on the back!

Old
Hey Pullin - Fri Aug 16, 2013, 04:57 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Nice to 'meet' you I choose 2NL cash game, Zoom and favourite 18-handed Sit & Go because I have played these 3 games prior. I started with cash game but my ego got in the way: I wasn't good enough for $5NL and feel I made a fool of myself but I constantly criticized 2NL players for not knowing c-bets; for limping; for misrepresenting their great hands with .10 bets. Yea, I had to be better than someone as I sure wasn't as good as I attempted to present.

So I bullied a lot, truly. If they bet $1.,I bet $3, regardless of my hand. Most believed I had what I bet but there were always the quiet ones who eventually called 'all-in', leaving myself on a cliff between losing the max one could play with or mucking in public.Then I wondered why they would want to humiliate me! SICK but a sickness that can heal as you tell the truth without having to give up strategic semi-bluffing.

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 10:40 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Hey DrEllen

It kind of sounds like you're just testing your limits, and exploring different games ... I guess we all do that when we first start playing poker, and start learning new things? Or maybe most of us do - there always seem to be those couple of players who manage to hit the ground running, but that wasn't me.

Actually, I was the most massive fish until a couple of people here at PSO taught me how to manage a bankroll, and urged me to focus on trying to play just one game (to try and get good at that one game) instead of anything that struck my fancy.

Some people are able to play a lot of different games and play them well, like Sandtrap. But there aren't too many people like that. Maybe finding a 'go-to' game'll be the next step for you? It sounds like you're doing really well at cash games and MTT SNGs. But it sounds like you enjoy Zoom too?

If you could only play one format of poker for the next month, is there one format you'd prefer to play over others?

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 12:21 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEllenCait View Post
Sounds like we are new online poker friends! So many of us struggle with the same issues but are afraid to let others know, as though we are supposed to be the epitome of perfection Like so much in life, learning is never ending and instead of being ashamed of that, we ought to rejoice All I can say is stay honest with yourself, play in your comfort zone until maybe one day that zone changes and pat yourself on the back!
Thank you DrEllen

I agree with you . Experience can never be bought..trial and error is the only way. Hard though it may be, sweet is the honey and the fruit it bears..
now.. Good luck with your main experiment here and the inputs /gains you will be blessed with..God bless to everyone.

nic

Old
Playing at Your Level - Sat Aug 17, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
P.S. Arty

These were full ring cash tables if 9 constitutes full ring

Ellen

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com