Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Stupid mistakes, or are they?

Old
Stupid mistakes, or are they? - Sat Aug 17, 2013, 02:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Getting frustrated....

I consider myself an "ok" player, make a few final tables quite regular, however.....

Some downfalls of my game are I think....

Going "All in" in SnG pre-flop and getting cleaned out (came out on top a few times though)When is best to go "all in" effectively?

Chasing the card - If I need one card for a flush/straight, I'll call if someone has raised, seems to be an epic fail. Should I just fold if the flop hits with nothing?

Playing poor hands if I'm in late positions just cos no-one else has called/raised? Would it be best to throw poor cards end of chat?

Any other advice would be great. I get that it depends on the table, postion etc.

Oh - And I always think people are bluffing!! Leads me to me call them and get bombed! Should I not try and counter bluff, just accept someone may have a decent hnd!!

Thanks

Last edited by Pagey1980; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 03:05 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Going "All in" in SnG pre-flop and getting cleaned out (came out on top a few times though)When is best to go "all in" effectively?

Always raise sensibly with both your strong hands and steals. 3 bet 4 bet if you must but going all in just to steal low chips is a big spew because you'll only get called by better. Similarly shoving only premiums is a big leak because you will get no action. Keep your raising sensible.

Chasing the card - If I need one card for a flush/straight, I'll call if someone has raised, seems to be an epic fail. Should I just fold if the flop hits with nothing?

Learn pot odds but if you don't understand them just fold if you have a draw, saving chips is more important than chasing.

Playing poor hands if I'm in late positions just cos no-one else has called/raised? Would it be best to throw poor cards end of chat?

These are steal positions. Raise or fold here, never call. I'd err on folding though and not getting into trouble. You have to analyse flops which is a lot harder than it seems.

Your thread title ends with a question mark but these are serious leaks in your game. Sorry to sound so harsh but they are all spewing chip spots and I'd say your a losing player overall. Correcting these mistakes will improve you vastly, at least you understand that you are making them and are taking steps to correct them.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:53 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Have you worked through all the PSO courses and passed the quizzes? If you've done that, then I'd recommend going to live training sessions so you can ask the trainers questions while they play.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2013
Working through them now!

Very useful, and suprising how little I new!

Thanks guys

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com