Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.20 MTT - AT suited in BB - Flop Nut Flush and Gutshot Draws

Old
$2.20 MTT - AT suited in BB - Flop Nut Flush and Gutshot Draws - Sat Aug 17, 2013, 06:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
A hand that got me in good position in last night's MTT - doubled up again following this with AA v AK and went on to cash - but not sure I played this correctly,or how to properly assess my equity - any thoughts welcome.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...714_BB6E83AEC7

I was in the BB and the UTG raiser makes a min-raise - their stats were fairly TAG, certainly compared to player 7 who flat-called yet again - their stats were around 40/10.

As I was closing the pre-flop action I felt I could call the single BB raise from my 25BB stack and see a flop, it was 150 to call into a pot that would be 1,155. I could get away cheaply if I miss and perhaps get paid off from one of these players if I flopped very well.

Flop comes KdQd6c so although I only have Ace high on the flop I have a ton of draws. I decided to lead out - my bet looks a little small at under half-pot, 450 into 1,155 but was enough to get the UTG player to fold.

However the 40/10 opponent in seat 7 reraised an extra 600. I had to think they had hit the board but I knew I had a lot of equity with my outs.

Running the equity on this flop with the exact hands I am 45/55 underdog - against other individual hands that hit like AQ QJ KJ I am close to 50/50 - the only hands that have a significant edge are sets - with KK/QQ unlikely unless they flatted against the UTG raise for deception - but 66 set on the flop is 66% favourite.

If I folded to the reraise I have 21BB left, and if I call the 600 I have 17BB left. I decided to go with my draws and shipped, rarely expecting to get a fold from this player if they have any part of the board.

It worked out, but I'm not sure it was optimal play.

Cheers

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 06:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I believe that shoving to his flop raise is not optimal.
I don't like calling flop and folding to any big bet on a brick turn either.
If you had any fold equity, a shove would have been a lot better, but on that spot I can't imagine having any fold equity.
What could be decisive on your decision here would be an idea on how villain plays with flush draws.
If he plays them aggressively, then a shove becomes a lot more profitable.
Anyways I am check-raising flop to avoid such spots.

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:48 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Ed!

With ATs from the BB, I get a min-raise and then a call of it. The majority of the time, I'm going to call here and then try to outplay the opps post-flop. However, especially if there are no aggressive players in the hand, I can also definitely make a case for 3-betting to 900 since I'm out of position.

I flop a monster draw, nut flush, overcard, gutshot straight and even a gutshot royal. I'm definitely going to lead here with one of the opps being a calling station and having called preflop. The key here is the sizing of it. I need to make the bet sizing the same as I would if I had a set or 2 pair. Betting too small when on a draw is a mistake that many players have and it's very easy for an observant opp to notice this. When they bet small when on a draw and larger for value with a made hand, this is basically turning their cards face-up to the opponents. With 2 opps in the pot, I'm making a 2/3 pot value bet of 770.

The opp now raises (which if I were in their shoes, had a made hand and seeing this bet which just screams draw to me), I'm absolutely raising any K or better here... although they pull the same thing... too small of a bet. If I were the opp, I'd be making a 1/2 pot raise, which is to 1253, as anything smaller can price in a draw.

If I did shove, I would have to put 3120 into a pot that will be 8295 (37.6%). I'm going to figure that my flush outs are good and also the gutshot, so I've got 12 outs. From the rule of 4 and 2, each is worth 4% to the river, so my hand is worth 48%. I'm discounting the aces, as the opp could have AK or AQ here and flatted in position.

I've got no problem getting it in on the flop, but if I had made a standard value bet initially, this becomes a much easier decision for me to do as I will end up putting less chips into the pot on the last bet... there-by decreasing my pot equity... making it a higher +EV play to shove and a much easier play.

Yes, I know I'm probably behind at the moment, but by using good bankroll management, I can take advantage of these situations. I'll lose as many as I win, but the ones that I do win, I'm now set up for a deep run in the tourney.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. When looking at the %'s, you need to use the opp's range.. not just the two cards that they show.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com