Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

PSO Podcast Show

Old
PSO Podcast Show - Sat Aug 17, 2013, 08:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Has the PSO ever thought about doing a podcast?

85FastLane done a great round up of current podcasts he listens to. I also listen to a load of Podcasts and really love the format for my learning experience.

It doesn't have to be complicated. Even a ripped audio of a Google Hang out is good enough as I listen to a few Astronomy Podcasts that are done in this format. It doesn't have to cost anything only time and a few MB of Pokerstars server space.

PSO is all about learning so each Podcast could be on a certain topic but you could also talk about current Pokerstars promotions and juicy games like the Sunday Million.

I'd certainly participate (if you can understand me) but you could have members questions and participation.

I think Podcasting is a perfect medium for poker.

Regards

Mark

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 08:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Has the PSO ever thought about doing a podcast?
Yes, we have! The plan is to start publishing these in January of next year and make them available both on our desktop site but also on our new mobile site.

Why don't we use Ovalman's thread for members that want to leave suggestions as to what type of content you'd like to see in a poker podcast.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 08:50 AM
(#3)
Hand starting ranges
On the flop
On the turn
On the river
Major mistakes beginners make
NL cash games
FL strategy
PSO League strategy (change your game when everyone listens to this )
Sit and Go strategy
On the Bubble
Post flop play
Dealing with bullies
Wet boards
Dry boards
PLO
General news round up
Keeping track of your results
Downloading and using tracking software
Using a HUD
Bankroll management
Dealing with tilt and bad runs
Play money games

I could go on and on BTW

I'm exited you are going to do this BTW, I love podcasts. Maybe a few podcast specific promotions as well would help but I understand you have a budget to work to.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
This is so spooky as was thinking just the same this week!

Bit of strategy, bit of what is going on at PSO and pokerstars more generally makes best sense and would please the powers that be.

Need/s regular hosts but I think that guests from the community would be very good. It should reward contributions to the community and impressive results by getting those in question on the podcast. And of course if you want it to be a success in terms of listens it simply needs something like a podcast freeroll and the password revealed sometime during the 'show'.

Old
Fri Oct 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
I've listened to quite a few podcasts now in writing the reviews for my blog and have some ideas of what works and what doesn't in my opinion. If PSO is interested in input I'd love to help out and have a longer conversation about what a successful podcast might look (sound) like

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 05:05 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85FastLane View Post
I'd love to help out and have a longer conversation about what a successful podcast might look (sound) like
Hey Lane,

Sure, we'd love to hear from you. You can use this thread to post ideas or if you prefer send an email to ideas@mypokerschoolonline.com

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Oct 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
I have given this some thought also , I have found it very interesting to have a team pro moderate while We-the PSO'ers are playing other members .Mind you it should be private and inclusive as so all of the members are not subjective,to there miss givings, Ahh but what the HE ll we do not need to play if we are woried about others watching
I'm in for all and anything
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...419#post455419

Last edited by RiverFlat; Sat Oct 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Hey guys,

We've launched a pilot episode of a PSO Podcast and you can check it out here:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Online-Podcast

We'd like to tailor this show to what you guys want to hear so please leave your feedback and suggestions in this thread.

The first episode is a test run and we hope to make improvements with each episode.

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#9)
Seen your message on Twitter and asked for an RSS feed so I can add it too my Podcasting software. I listen to a load of podcasts on a wide variety of subjects and an RSS feed makes downloading and listening so much easier. I was told the Feed will be added in the coming days (fingers crossed.) I'll listen and give verdict when the RSS is added.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Pilot epsidode is good. I'm hoping this becomes a regular show.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 07:46 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
Nice one guys, looking forward to the next one.
I'm so glad that you've taken the "plunge" and I honestly think that our own PSO podcast will become a huge asset to our great community.

Thx again.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 12:13 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
Listened to the first episode and I know each one will improve on the next, so I won't be too critical of the first shot. RoyalRaise, I think you're a great host. You sound like a pro. I just want to say, and my intent is to be constructive not to insult, that this episode sounded more like an infomercial than a podcast. Need more content! I was a bit disappointed. I'm sure the next one will be better.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2011
Glad that Lane kicked off some constructive criticism, I know that it is meant with best of intention as several of us wanted a podcast and are thrilled that it is here, I think it was a sterling effort for the first show and certainly hope it continues.

The constructive stuff:
  • I couldn't tell what the target was, it felt like it started off as aimed at PSO noobs but then quickly moved into a lot of poker lingo that beginners would not understand. I selfishly would prefer a PSO show aimed at those already on PSO - but anyway I don't think you can have a show that pleases both beginners and the kind of knowledgeable improvers who are most likely to come across the podcast on PSO.
  • The first and last sections dragged a little, I get that you need to sell the wares, but this could have been snappier.
  • Also I don't know when it first appeared but I certainly listened after MicroMillions finished, so your November podcast should really be talking about the December festival. I guess better if the podcast comes out near the end of the month and promotes what is on next month.
  • Following discussion about a particular hand is really difficult via audio, there was something about sixes on different stack sizes. There should be strategy segments, but having particular hands available with the link to the podcast would help clarity.
  • The ACoimbra interview was awesome with some great advice in there. I also enjoyed the eureka moment kind of discussions.
  • It felt a little scripted, but then it is understandable that with experience the handovers between hosts would feel a little more natural.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 03:50 PM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Thanks guys for the feedback,

It was completely unscripted though, more of a test pilot episode to work out the tech end of things more than anything else.

Going forward it will be difficult to find a balance between content that will suit both new and more experienced members as PSO caters for both each week that passes but we will try our best.

We will certainly try to make the promo info more snappier but really glad that the guest feature went down well.

Also, we'd really like to have a regular strategy segment but it's a good point that was made that some of the lingo would have went over a beginners head and it's difficult to visualise a hand via audio media, we'll keep that in mind for future episodes.

Honestly, it will take numerous episodes before we begin to mold this into a show that works for the majority of the community but this will happen sooner if we keep hearing feedback like that above from Profess Awe and 85Fastlane, keeping sending it in guys and we'll do our best.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 07:54 PM
(#15)
I will also be giving some feedback, but for the moment just getting it started and public is fantastic.
Content-wize? ..... larger sample size needed.

Quick question....Is the plan to run it once a month for a while, and would it be on a specific date?
eg. 28th of each month or similar?

Keep it going guys......it can become such a big winner, and I'm sure it will.

Old
Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#16)
Any updates on the RSS feed?

I listen to all my podcasts on my phone and it would make automatically downloading them so much easier. I've downloaded this months episode and will listen tomorrow.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Any updates on the RSS feed?
Hey Ovalman,

We're still working on the RSS feed for this, will keep you updated in this thread when I have more info

The good news is that Episode 2 is now out:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Online-Podcast

And the show is also available on ITunes by searching for 'PokerSchoolOnline' in the Itunes store.

If any member has a question that they would like to have answered on the podcast show please post your question below in this thread and we'll answer it for you.

Cheers
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Am listening to these out of order, so I've only heard the second one so far and will have to go back and listen to the first one, but thought the one listened to was great!! It sure didn't sound like a second effort at something new

lol @ a Jared Tendler ringtone Cannon

Old
Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:14 PM
(#19)
Thanks RR, I listened to the podcast (twice) and echo the feedback above. It was more like an informal chat to another poker player than a method of learning. Andre gave some useful information but I don't think it was targetted to a beginner. Still a good effort but I'd like to see more learning content that a player can build on each week starting from basics.

Also don't discount a hand history in the program, I can understand a hand history far better when it's read out to me rather than looking at it in a copy and paste text. Different people have different learning methods.

I'll give more feedback when I listen to today's show but I'm sure the Podcast will improve and build upon after a few episodes.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 07:57 AM
(#20)
Hi Guys, big improvement over the first episode and Gareth and Jared are 2 great guests.

I do think you need a basics section though as talk of Supernova will only apply to a very tiny minority of PSO members. Some of the lingo will confuse a beginner and that's your niche market you want to attract.

Also don't discount discussing hand histories. I can understand a hand history in audio form but I struggle with text. People have different ways to learn and audio and visual is much easier for me over text (I'm still struggling reading Jared Tendlar's book.)

Finally, get that Podcast easy to find. I notice it on Sticher which is a good start but the Podcast should be used to drive new people to Pokerstars and PSO rather than being a PSO only show.

Hope you count this as positive feedback and not a criticism.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com