Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6max Fast - KK, facing turn raise

Old
5NL 6max Fast - KK, facing turn raise - Sat Aug 17, 2013, 09:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain:22/7/0 (18) - Passive

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

Button ($5.53)
SB ($6.77)
BB ($5.57)
UTG ($5.10)
Hero (MP) ($6.05)
CO ($4.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with ,
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Button raises to $0.35, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.64, Button calls $0.29

Flop: ($1.35) , , (2 players)
Hero bets $0.78, Button calls $0.78

Turn: ($2.91) (2 players)
Hero bets $1.80, Button raises to $4.11 (All-In)

Turn raise feels a bit scary, but mostly he should have AKs to get there. QQ with spade would go to this line, except it probably would raise flop.

Call or not?

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
This one is tricky.

Villain is passive but 3-bets and flats a 4-bet. A passive (fishy/donkey) villain will usually be stacking off pre with QQ(JJ)+, AK, AJs+ since passive villains don't 3-bet light usually with the intention of folding to a 4-bet. Flatting the 4-bet means he thinks his hand is too good to fold but not good enough to shove with.

AK/AQ/AJ spades is still out there which this villain will definitely continue with OTF. OTT the raise is pretty nasty, some of the FDs in his range have hit. However his range still contains alot of other combinations like 1 spade combos and weaker over pairs, also I think you might already be committed to the pot so idk if folding is really an option here.

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi braveslice,

I think your preflop 4bet sizing you chose is a bit off.
A good 4bet sizing is 22bb when villain 3bets to 9bb or a general rule of thumb to follow when the 3bet is less than 9bb is the 3bet size + 3bbs. So in this case, I would make it 0.35x2 + 0.05x3 = 0.85

Because we made the 4bet so small, they will continue wider. I think AA/KK/QQ would generally 5bet or in some instances they could slow play AA.

With a sample of 18 hands its hard to get a clear image of our opponent but the gap between VPIP and PFR suggests he is on the bad end of the scale. We see a flop with an SPR of less than 4 so we are looking to commit with our hand. However, when the villain raises us on the turn when the 3rd spade hits it looks to me that he has it because they are not worried from the flush. Most overpairs would probably raise the flop and look to get it in. Sets would also raise I think fearing from the spades and to get value from our overpairs. I think they have a flush most of the time here or a slow played AAs. I don't know if they will do this with a hand like 87s.

I'm folding here.

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 01:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Rated View Post
However his range still contains alot of other combinations like 1 spade combos and weaker over pairs, also I think you might already be committed to the pot so idk if folding is really an option here.
Yeah, well that was my reasoning and I called, didn't want to change my plan anymore, because I tried to make the turn bet size small to make AI possible OTR. Had the villain been any more active, 1 space combo would have been the most likely holding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
I think your preflop 4bet sizing you chose is a bit off.
A good 4bet sizing is 22bb when villain 3bets to 9bb or a general rule of thumb to follow when the 3bet is less than 9bb is the 3bet size + 3bbs. So in this case, I would make it 0.35x2 + 0.05x3 = 0.85
Good point, I did remember I should aim to around 20bb from GarethC23 video, but really all I could do in the timeframe was to make sure I don’t bet too much Your formula is easy to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
I'm folding here.
I called, but later in review thought that maybe I should have folded. Thank you for confirming. Even though, I would not make it too big mistake to call.

Cheers!

Last edited by braveslice; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 02:02 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com