Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL JJ IP in 3bet pot. Turn/River decision?

Old
5NL JJ IP in 3bet pot. Turn/River decision? - Sat Aug 17, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010

PF is pretty standard I guess? I've no info about villain and I don't want to call a shove with my JJ against an unknown.

The flop is a bit different. He checks after first 3betting me. So I think a big portion of his range could contain AK, AhX. I expected a rerais against AK so I bet on the small side in case he wanted to play check/raise and I could fold without investing too much. Instead he just called.

As AhX is also in his range I didn't know what to do on the turn and river and decide to check back twice. Could we make an extra bet? I think not as I cannot think of any worse hand that would call us. Am I right?

Last edited by PokerIggy; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 05:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Weird hand. PF is pretty standard to me when I'm readless...against fishy players I'm going to 4bet for value since the BB looks like they're donking around and we're going to have position even if they both come along.

I actually prefer checking back this flop since I'd expect the SB to at least have a king here (and possibly better) as is often the case when a fishier opponent 3bets and then checks a K hi or A hi flop. I don't think a bet is necessarily bad though and is actually probably better against passive players (such as this one turned out to be). The problem with betting is just that we have to usually fold to a c/r and as I way saying, from experience I wouldn't expect the SB to be c/folding here very often.

As played, I like a check back on the turn for pot-control/deception. I think we're likely only getting one more street of value anyways and again, facing a c/r sucks. The river has to be a bet though, we can expect to be called by worse for sure and have no reason to fear a bigger flush at this point.

Old
Tue Aug 20, 2013, 07:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2010
Definitely a weird hand. I was just paralyzed by the fact that he just called the flop I agree with you that I should have bet the river, but do we bet/fold the river when we get jammed or is it just too likely that he is trapping us with the nuts?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com