Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

$100 100k hands challenge

Old
$100 100k hands challenge - Sun Aug 18, 2013, 12:18 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi folks!

I'm gonna do a cash game challenge where I play 100k hands of 6max and FR (depending on mood) and seeing how much profit I can get in 100k hands. I need a little brain reboot and I think this is the proper way to do it. I will also focus on studying and reviewing because it's much needed (and kind of the whole point) when it comes to a challenge like this. Even though I could jump straight into 5nl with a $100 BR I'm gonna keep a 25-30 buyins rule. If I drop below 25 buyins I have to move down immediately, and as soon as I hit 30 buyins of the next level I have to move up. 100k hands is a lot, so my plan is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------
<$100-$150 - 2nl
$150-$300($125 drop down) - 5nl
$300-$480($250 drop down) - 10nl
$480-$750($400 drop down) - 16nl
$750-$1500($625 drop down) - 25nl
etc
THIS SECTION IS OBSOLETE BUT I'M KEEPING IT IN THE POST BECAUSE I CAN
--------------------------------------------------
I need this thread to track my progress and most importantly to get feedback and keep my challenge bankroll seperated from my actual bankroll.

EDIT: Since the old challenge didn't seem like much of a challenge, the new one is to see how much I can build a $100 initial deposit in 100k hands. If I make it to $10k, I'll supply you all with cake.

Hands: 8452
Current BR: $246.19

Last edited by Feskprins; Thu Feb 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM..

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 07:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
gl gl man nice challange hope youll do gr8

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
how many tables are you going table?

good luck with your challange.

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adohole View Post
gl gl man nice challange hope youll do gr8
Thanks Ado, I'll do my best.

Quote:
how many tables are you going table?
I don't know yet, but anywhere between 4 and 12 I think. I'm doing this challenge on another site so the software isn't the best and I don't know what the optimal number of tables is yet. I think average will be 6 tables and then add or subtract depending on how I feel.

I played 538 hands of 2nl today and the rumors were true. The players on this site are REALLY bad. I'm talking calling three pot sized bets with bottom pair and Q high with no draws or anything. I'm actually gonna jump straight up to 10nl in my next session because this is some of the worst poker I've seen and I'm gonna have to run extremely bad to bust, even with only 10 buyins.

There's something weird with my HEM2 at the moment and I can't export hands. I'll try to provide big pots and plays I may or may not be too happy with once I get that fixed.

Old
Mon Aug 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
(#5)
Had a really weird session today. Played 6 tables of 10nl 6max and I ran extremely (and I mean extremely) bad but still made a nice profit of $9.09. Took me 3 hours though but I'm quite happy with my plays and my all-in EV was at $28+. Hopefully I'll be able to post some hands tomorrow!

Old
Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:02 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck mate.

PH

Old
Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Good luck with the challenge. I'm sure you'll crush it!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:29 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2011
Good luck! Dunno what the other site is but are you playing the equivalent of zoom at all? And are the FR tables pretty dead at the higher limits - if so is it better to stick to 6max?

Old
Tue Aug 20, 2013, 04:05 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
Much success with your challenge!
I hope you are going to post some graphs and hands

Old
Tue Aug 20, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
Good luck! Dunno what the other site is but are you playing the equivalent of zoom at all? And are the FR tables pretty dead at the higher limits - if so is it better to stick to 6max?
I just checked and tables seem to be full at all levels, from 2nl to 1000nl, so getting action as I move up won't be a problem fortunately!

Had a rollercoaster session today but played about 1k hands since I got home from our rehearsal space kinda late. I ran really bad (and to be honest, it's the BEST I've run in months) and the EV graph doesn't do it justice since a lot of the beats were on the river with a few chips left in the stacks so the differential in those cases is +-0 when in reality the EV should be higher than what it shows. Nonetheless, I still made a nice profit of $12.67 playing 6 tables of 6max. I made a bunch of mistakes that could have saved me a few chips though and I'm gonna review all my sessions when I get back home on friday, because I don't like the sudden turn my red line made this session.

(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)

The first graph is my latest session, the second one is my overall results so far after 3000 hands. I don't know if the graph will show the deposit bonus when I clear it but I think you can add it manually somewhere.

I'll post some hands on friday as I review them because I don't have the time to look through everything right now. I'd also like to thank you all for the support and good wishes. This challenge is about improving my cash and overall poker game, and you're really adding some fuel to that fire because I don't want to post a bunch of bad hands and horrible graphs. I've finished with profit in 4/4 sessions so far though so let's just hope the trend continues until I'm not a complete donk anymore.

Challenge continues on friday!

Last edited by Feskprins; Tue Aug 20, 2013 at 06:47 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
(#11)
So I'm reviewing a few hands and I stumbled upon a few plays I find questionable and, quite frankly, not very good. If I'm not allowed to post these links, just let me know.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/5278778

One thing to keep in mind here is that the players on this site are really bad. I'm still not sure about calling from the small blind with this hand. What kind of justifies this is that if I hit my hand, I'm very likely to get paid. I want to be in as many pots as possible and take them to value town. I still don't like this since I want to avoid playing pots OOP, a raise or a fold would be better I think. I really need some opinions on this.
Here's the problem with playing OOP. If I bet out on the flop, no more chips are going in unless they have something, and the flop is a very dry one. I decide to check and hope for the BTN to cbet, and if he does, he most likely has something because this guy didn't seem like the type who likes to bet with air, so I opt to go for a check raise, and he calls. I lead the turn and he calls again. I think this bet should be bigger.
Here's another mistake I noticed. He called a check-raise and a lead on the turn. He definitely has something, and I bet the river way too small. It looks a lot like an ace or maybe something like queens, and he'd call a bigger river bet if he's willing to go that far with those hands anyways. Especially if he had an ace which seemed most likely. I think I left a lot of value on the table with those turn and river bets.

Most of the other hands were pretty standard stuff, but I find this hand very important.

Last edited by Feskprins; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#12)
Reads/stats on villain would help (does he steal often, but fold to 3-bets?) but I'm usually 3-betting A7s in the SB, as I hate playing it out of position without the initiative.

As played, your line is standard, but the bet-sizes are a little small. While villain should be able to get away from AQ/AJ when you bet all three streets, but he's always calling the turn, and you have a ton of equity there, so are missing value.

How many hands have you played now?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Reads/stats on villain would help (does he steal often, but fold to 3-bets?) but I'm usually 3-betting A7s in the SB, as I hate playing it out of position without the initiative.
I only had 12 hands or so on him, so I could only go with what I've seen him do in two previous hands. I do agree with 3betting and I'd normally do that, but keep in mind that the players on this site are absolutely horrible, which is why I feel like it's 50/50 between 3betting and just flatting.

Quote:
How many hands have you played now?
Still at 3166 hands. I work 48 hour shifts so I got home today.

Last edited by Feskprins; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:42 PM
(#14)
Well, had a pretty sweet session today! One hour exactly, and a nice $24.85 profit! And that's after losing 127bb to a river suckout. We had a few cents elft for some reason on the river so it won't show up as a positive in my EV graph, but that's alright. My current winrate is at 15.73bb/100 so building this bankroll is going pretty well. I made a few bad plays I'm not too happy with, but unlike my "usual" grind on Stars I actually identified the mistakes almost immediately even as I was starting to lose focus due to fatigue, and I see this as progress. One pitfall I want to avoid though is to just go "oh well I identified it so it's plugged now" which I guess a lot of people would do. I'm still going to look at the hands to really analyze in-deep (even if it wasn't very advanced stuff) to integrate it into my pea-sized brain. If I keep this going, I think this could result in some major improvements of my game AND a lot of profit!

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
(#15)
Long time no update!

Yesterday, I had my first losing session, losing a total of $17.62. However, I played some more today and had a profit of $24.23. I'm kind of in a hurry, but in short I'd like to say that I made more mistakes this session than any previous session, but I feel like I'm improving regardless. I've made a promise to myself to spend at least 2 hours a day on the 2+2 cash hand analysis forums. Not because I have to, but because I want to. I'm sure it will pay off!

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 10:19 AM
(#16)
Say what whaaaaaaaaat??

It's back! I decided to keep going with this for a number of reasons. I'm taking poker very seriously this year and I even signed up to a premium training site which has been invaluable for my winrate. Build a bankroll on this site and then transfer it to Stars to clear bonuses. I've only had one losing session so far but I'll keep going until I reach $600 or $700. That should be enough. Currently running at exactly 19bb/100. It's a small sample but I doubt it's gonna drop below 14 or 15, to be honest. If it does I obviously need to work MORE!

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 01:43 PM
(#17)
Sweet graph. Keep up the good work!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Feb 27, 2014, 02:14 PM
(#18)
Since: Apr 2011
Good luck with your mission Feskprins (PP)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com