Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[CL] Bankroll Builder | | | |

Old
Arrow
[CL] Bankroll Builder | | | | - Sun Aug 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Hi, I'm Lofes and have yet to make my first deposit on stars, I would like to take part in this bankroll builder challenge

Last edited by loafes; Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: mispelt my screen name

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafes View Post
Hi, I'm Lofes and have yet to make my first deposit on stars, I would like to take part in this bankroll builder challenge
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Aces - Sun Aug 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
(#4)
I won the hand, but I'm not sure if my bet sizing was optimal. I made it 140 preflop because I was hoping that would be a correct size to at least narrow the field a little however perhaps being play money I should have raised more? Anyway the flop came out paired Which I'm not overly happy about since so many others are in the pot, but on the flip side there aren't a ton of hand combinations including a 2 so I figure I have to shove now since I have less thean a pot sized bet remaining

Old
completed quiz - Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:21 AM
(#5)
I've also completed the assessment meaning I've completed all the things you mention to get the first part of the bankroll

Old
Mon Aug 19, 2013, 02:06 PM
(#6)
Hi,

Hand Analysis

Pre-flop we could elect to make our 3bet sizing 3x the pot size 240..although that push all the villains out of the pot, a sizing of 190 to 220 is a good amount to be re-raising. I like your thought process throughout this entire hand. I also wouldn't be to concerned about a range of as we can take card removal into account. I'd be more concerned about getting value from flush draw combos, two overs or a pocket pair. A few of the villains are sitting deep enough to call our all in shove on the flop, the stack to pot ratio is set up perfect for this play and wi;; not seem to awkward for the villains! Well played and nice pot!

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Old
Mon Aug 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
(#7)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Old
Thu Aug 22, 2013, 02:14 AM
(#8)
I've finally just had a chance to hit the tables today. however I think I played this hand really really badly. Before I begin though I think I need to add that this was my third hand at the table and I'd just played my first two hands very aggresivly and didn't go to show down so when I open my third straight hand at the table I figure my image is probably a bit lag even though I've only played a couple of hands. In retrospect I shouldn't assume people have already made judgments on me. I open the the button with A4 which I assume is pretty standard and I get three bet. Because I'm on the button and getting 3 bet by the bb plus I'm thinking my perceieved table is image is lag I figure there is a chance my opponent might be three betting me light so I elect to see a flop because I'll get to play post flop in position but I'm still aware hat I shouldn't get attached to top pair if
I do hit. The board comes out excellent for me because I make trips. my opponent fires a c bet and I make a large raise, I know my raise is way too big but the sizing was because of a misclick. I feel really stupid now because I know that this is a clear call every day of the week but I thought that because I'm assuming my opponent makes me out to be aggressive I thought that this would look suspicious of me and my opponent was representing strength. Obviously I lost lots of value in this hand and I wondered what your thoughts were, should I have folded to the 3 bet? should I have smooth called the flop instead of raising and obviously if a raise is alright how much should I have made it?

I still cant believe I made a raise here which is just going to scare off anything but a premium hand, I just really thought that a raise would look so suspicious of me since that board is unlikely to hit my range I was hoping my play looked like a flush draw and my opponent would play back at me.

I figure I'll put some more hands here later as I play more hands and get into interesting spots.

Last edited by loafes; Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 04:15 AM..

Old
does my line make any sense? - Thu Aug 22, 2013, 03:17 AM
(#9)
Normally I think its probably fool hardy to attempt to make any bluffs at these stakes. In this case I feel as though my opponent was a appositionally aware player who might be capable of folding a hand. Looking back I'm not even sure my bluff is good even though it worked.

I call his button raise with KQ even though I'm going to be out of position because It's a hand that will probably flop well and is likely doing ok vs his button opening range. I miss the flop and check but when villin continuation bets on the flop I feel as though he may be doing this with a lot of over cards that missed the board so I elect to float intending to take a stab at it on a later street. the turn is a five pairing the board and I check once more, is this correct to check the turn? he checks behind and a 10 falls on the river. And now I feel its time to make my play, I fire at the pot now thiking I'm representing a 5 but now I'm not even sure. in retrospect I think this entire play was very risky and that I'm probably better off just folding the flop in future, what do you think, am I even able to crediably represent anything with this line?

I'm only new to the game and have lots to learn so I think that's why I played the above hands so badly. The more I think about it the more I don't like bluffing from out of position in that spot, especially since my line could easily look like a busted flush draw thus inducing a hero call from an A high or small pair. further more I think a lot of hands that would play the flop and turn this way would be likely to check call the river thus I feel like the entire hand I was a bad bluff

Three reasons to Make big bets
1.to protect my equity in the hand
2.to apply maximum pressure against my opponents, this should induce more mistakes which should lead to more profits
3.To bluff on occasion

I've also now completed the cash game quiz

Last edited by loafes; Thu Aug 22, 2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old
Thu Aug 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
(#10)
Is there anything more I need to do in order to get the next part of my bonus?

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:39 AM
(#11)
I'm quite happy with this one, because I think I made a good fold, but is this a good fold or is it just a standard one?

The reason I'm happy is because I read the situation perfectly, I thought villain 8 probably had a 10 with a worse kicker but I also felt as though vilian 2 probably had to have either a set of 55s or an overpair, I took my time before making this fold though. I wonder though if I should have been raising preflop though?

This hand was played a few hands before it. I think my call preflop is maybe too loose because hes making an oversized bet that means I don't really have the odds to set mine. but he made lots of these over sized raises before. I was also frustrated because I had literally not played a single hand the entire 3 or 4 orbits id been at the table, I was completely card dead. How do I deal with this in future? I lost tons of value by not reraising before the river, the way he played it he could have he was repping an overpair or AQ sort of hand, does this mean I should have raised the turn? The river makes a third club onboard and kills all my action, should I have considered making a smaller raise on the river so that he can call with the range I put him on? I'm really annoyed I didn't take his stack in this hand.

Last edited by loafes; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM..

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:17 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafes View Post
Normally I think its probably fool hardy to attempt to make any bluffs at these stakes. In this case I feel as though my opponent was a appositionally aware player who might be capable of folding a hand. Looking back I'm not even sure my bluff is good even though it worked.

I call his button raise with KQ even though I'm going to be out of position because It's a hand that will probably flop well and is likely doing ok vs his button opening range. I miss the flop and check but when villin continuation bets on the flop I feel as though he may be doing this with a lot of over cards that missed the board so I elect to float intending to take a stab at it on a later street. the turn is a five pairing the board and I check once more, is this correct to check the turn? he checks behind and a 10 falls on the river. And now I feel its time to make my play, I fire at the pot now thiking I'm representing a 5 but now I'm not even sure. in retrospect I think this entire play was very risky and that I'm probably better off just folding the flop in future, what do you think, am I even able to crediably represent anything with this line?

I'm only new to the game and have lots to learn so I think that's why I played the above hands so badly. The more I think about it the more I don't like bluffing from out of position in that spot, especially since my line could easily look like a busted flush draw thus inducing a hero call from an A high or small pair. further more I think a lot of hands that would play the flop and turn this way would be likely to check call the river thus I feel like the entire hand I was a bad bluff

Three reasons to Make big bets
1.to protect my equity in the hand
2.to apply maximum pressure against my opponents, this should induce more mistakes which should lead to more profits
3.To bluff on occasion

I've also now completed the cash game quiz

Hi,

Hand Analysis

I really like your thought process through out this entire hand, you where spot on! Although some food for thought can be added for situations that may occur in the future similar to this hand.

Did you have any specific reads on this villain? The villains button opening range could actually be much wider than Ax in this spot (example: maybe they are opening 40% of their range on the button, but much tighter from other positions.)

There are two lines we could take pre-flop, one of which is cold calling from the small blind as this hand does indeed flop well, but keep in mind that by doing this we also invite the villain in the big blind to tag along in the hand with pretty ATC (any two cards) as they are getting 5 to 1 on a call and we'll be at a positional disadvantage versus two villains.

The other line we could take is to re-steal (3bet) from the small blind, this can accomplish many different outcomes. We could win the pot uncontested, or get called and have close to 60/40 equity versus their overall range if they have been opening a high percentage of buttons when the action is folded around to them..plus we'll have the initiative in the pot post flop...so if we continuation bet most flop/board textures we force the villain to play correctly as it's a 3bet pot and our line screams strength.

As played post flop, I like your reverse float, the villain's overall range is not going to hit this board and they'll have 9x a small portion of the time and the same applies to all of their two card flush combos. On the turn, given that you said the villain is a hand reader..it would be hard for us to get any credit when the five hits..taking card removal into account as two fives are present on the board and our tight aggressive table image we could only represent A5 55 and there are very few of those combos.

On the river, we can represent several different holdings, all pocket pairs 44 to TT that we elected to cold call from the small blind all of which may bet this river for value as well Tx JT QT KT AT that is now betting for value. Even though the villains line is indicative of showdown value by checking back the turn they could also have complete random air..we can get most those holdings to fold..your line does look convincing and it will be hard for Ax high (no pair) or any other none made hand to call this river bet and show a profit in the long run, I personally would have went with a tad bigger sizing of 20c just to make the villains decision much more difficult.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Last edited by CannonLee; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#13)
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Old
just couldnt get away - Tue Aug 27, 2013, 08:58 AM
(#14)
I feel like a total fish after this hand, every ounce of my being was telling me to fold since this is obviously a dripping wet board and half the table decided they wanted to play with me on this hand. But I convinced myself the villain that shoved before me was doing it with a draw because he was playing crazily limping into basically every pot and doing all sorts of crazy bluff shoves with air and lots of draws. I did spend along time before going with the hand but I can see now this is a easy fold

Unfortunately I lost nearly my entire roll after this

I think I'm tilt because a few hands later after successfully running those last few cents back up to nearly a full buy in I go and make another questionable play when I got too attached to a hand

logically I new that TPTK was no good here since its extremely likely that he either has aces up or a set, the only hand I'm possibly beating is AQ or maybe AJ but would these hands really play it this way? I once again managed to convince myself that my opponent was just being a bad player, in this case because they didn't have a full stack. I figured I had to either shove or fold here. But I'm just so mad that I didn't make these obvious folds just because I couldn't let go of strong preflop hands

Last edited by loafes; Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 08:50 PM
(#15)
Hi,

Hand Analysis

Prelfop I like the sizing of your raise to 8c but I'd maybe go a tad bit bigger, 10c to 12c I think may have thin down the amount of players involved in the pot which would increase our overall hand strength/equity in the pot.

Post flop, I'd be more concerned about the small blind and big blinds cold call pre-flop, as they could have elected to call with low to medium pocket pairs to set mine (hit three of a kind). Although when villain 9 shoves all in, they could easily have combos of 89 77 66 55 76 75 and even verus some of the flush draw combos that they could be on we are only a slight favorite to win the pot if they had two overs + flush draw or just a bare flush draw (unlikely as AKs KJs KQs would have raised pre-flop).

This is an interesting spot and one that is tough to get away from given the reads that we have on the villain, there are just soo many different hands that we beat, but there are still severall combos that
have us beat.. weighing out our options there is a bet and a raise ahead of us.. I'd have to close my eyes and fold this hand, as the action that has ensued ahead of us is usually indicative of a big pot/big hand considering the preflop action.

Hand Analysis

This is the 3rd best starting hand in Texas Hold'em, ace kind suited, and should be considered the top of every players range. I'd elect to re-open the action to 18c to 22c, the villain that initially opened the action is sitting deep enough to call with many worse Ax combos or other random holdings like 99 TT JJ QQ all of which is a 50/50 situation, taking this line can win the pot either uncontested pre-flop or with initiative post flop even if we do not flop top pair or any equity to a flush or straight draw.

Post flop, I like your thought process. AA may have re-raised preflop plus we have a blocker to top set as we hold an ace, the villains range out of position when check raising into two opponents does scream strength usually two pars or in this case a set (77 99 A7 A9) although versus some villain dynamics AQ AJ AT A8 A7 A6 A5 A4 A3 A2 may take this same line and be willing to play for stacks. But I'd base my play on
if this villain has done anything out of line in the past, or where they playing straight forward?

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:05 PM
(#16)
Fantastic!

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target

2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.

3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 01:56 AM
(#17)
Hi there, I'm not sure weather I have another bonus to go or not. I would like to know so that I know when I'll be able to start playing sitngos so that I can build up a roll big enough to exercise proper BRM for the cash tables

Thanks in advance
Loafes

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:16 AM
(#18)
Hi,

There are four bonuses to be awarded, you have received three of the four! You still have one more bonus to be awarded and you will have completed the Bank Roll builder training!

2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Old
Fri Aug 30, 2013, 01:13 AM
(#19)
hi I think I'm getting the hand of things now after running up the last $2 up to $11
I also just had a very swingy session where I sat down at a table because it was showing a high player per pot and high average pot, though it was only 4 handed when I sat down, I made sure that the two players who were going crazy were to my right and I initially lost a a buy in and a half trying to bluff a player before realising he was very loose passive so I adjusted for him, the other player on my immediate right was sitting with ~$5 and opening nearly every pot with usually 10BB raises and making plus showing lots of bluffs, at first I found these two frustrating and added more to have them covered but I quickly realised the adjustments I needed to make, the player two to my right I just needed to play a value range and for he player on my immediate right, he was running lots of big bluffs but at the same time he was also making big folds vs aggression. so once I knew this I quickly started racking up $$ by trapping the aggressive player when I had a hand and bluffing him in more pots plus value towning the loose passive player and just avoiding the very tight player if he suddenly started playing. the action slowed down a bit when more players flocked to the table however I had built up a stack of ~$8 with the only other player having more than 4 was the very tight player who I could easily get away from if he wakes up with a hand. Unfortunatly I lost two big pots one where I 3 bet queens vs a tight UTG raise and folded when he checkraised an A high board (I should have just checked behind. and I lost a ~$3 pot when I had AK all in vs a bad player who I knew was tilting (he had 6,3 and made a straight. anyway crazy table with lots of variance and although it was very juicy I think I'll try avoiding such high variance spots until I have a bigger roll, right now its just under $8

However I don't know why I'm telling you all this since you don't need to hear my blabbering, the point of the post is to say that I have earned enough points to get my final bonus instalment hopefully I can build up a roll and then using BRM I can get back to hitting these lucerative spots

Old
Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:56 AM
(#20)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

I really enjoyed reading your most recent post and would like to hear more about your journey in the coming future at the online felts! Check out the BLOGS section here, keep a diary of your progress as well read other members blogs. >>click here<<

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com