Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10nl 6m zoom: QQ gets mini-rr by unknown, TdTc3c flop - bluff-catch or give credit?

Old
10nl 6m zoom: QQ gets mini-rr by unknown, TdTc3c flop - bluff-catch or give credit? - Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I guess the decision on how to play this hand depends on how tight/wide we choose to range the villain?

Here's the villain's HUD stats:

If we give the villain a tight 3-bet calling range, then would that have made it hard for him to have Tx or 33 in his range? And when the flush draw doesn't come in on the river, should we still be worried he might have backed into Kx, or are there enough JJ, and non-K JcQc+ in his range to make the river a call?

If we give the villain a wide 3-bet calling range, then at what point is QQ a fold? Flop? Turn? River?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Old
Wed Aug 21, 2013, 02:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Hate these spots.

I'd probably fold to the river shove. Unless he's capable of shoving a missed draw or air, i'd say he's shoving for value otr.

Turn is a must call because of his sizing, but usually when villains size the turn so small to shove river they are really strong.

Old
Wed Aug 21, 2013, 06:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Sam,

I would have gone with a standard 3x raise here not to give our opponent good odds to set mine against us OOP.
I've always perceived the min x/r as a strong hand and I think villain is telling us they have a T or 33;
I would still call here like you did and probably would have done so too OTT given his bet sizing (I'm really thinking they have 33 here because their bet size indicates that they are not afraid of the flush and they want us to hit our draw if we do happen to be on clubs, and the sizing is enough to get stacks by the river)
The K is actually be a good card for us because now we have an easy fold which could have been a much harder option if a 2h hits. I hardly doubt we are ever looking at a multi-street bluff here. This is a T or 33 so much of the time.

Old
Wed Aug 21, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
... could be badly played Aces too

Old
Wed Aug 21, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I was going through a bunch of old hands, and as this hand was unfolding, I couldn't *believe* that I called the river bet. Then I started overthinking things, and wasn't able to think clearly about the hand any more and wasn't totally sure specifically why my river decision had changed. Not sure if maybe getting to see the ending was part of the problem, I don't know

So I was hoping fresh eyes might see tells that I could no longer see

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Hate these spots.

I'd probably fold to the river shove ...

... usually when villains size the turn so small to shove river they are really strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Hi Sam,

I would have gone with a standard 3x raise here not to give our opponent good odds to set mine against us OOP.

I've always perceived the min x/r as a strong hand and I think villain is telling us they have a T or 33;

I hardly doubt we are ever looking at a multi-street bluff here. This is a T or 33 so much of the time.
Okay, that's that's exactly what I was hoping to get from the HA, so thanks everybody!!

Villain called the 3-bet with 9Ts, which I must have ruled out, which I guess must have left me confused by the river = curiosity call. *Hopefully* today I'd be more inclined to give him credit for having called wider? I like the idea to make my 3-bet a little larger pre-flop - probably that would have helped too

TY TY!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Aug 21, 2013 at 06:58 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com