Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Is there much of a skill difference between $1.50 HUSNGs and $3.50 HUSNGs

Old
Is there much of a skill difference between $1.50 HUSNGs and $3.50 HUSNGs - Thu Aug 22, 2013, 11:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
I usually play $1.50 turbo HUSNGs at which I've made $78 in ~110 hours. I've tried playing $3.50 turbo HUSNGs and I've lost $17 in 3 hours.

Firstly, what does my profit rate at $1.50 sound like?

And, more importantly, is there much of a skill difference between the 2 levels? Should I keep going at $3.50 or drop back down? Is it more likely that I've had bad luck or that I can't beat $3.50? Obviously i'd like to move up to it at some point but my bank roll is only at about $80

Thanks

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 02:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
There is definitely.
The main difference is the 3bet, which at the 1.5$ ones you encounter very rarely.
But as the stakes go higher players become more aggressive and 3bet-4bet wider.
I am not saying that there won't be any bad players at the 3.5$, because there will be, but they probably won't be as bad as the 1.5$ ones.
You should definitely try some more 3.5$ games to see how you are doing at that level (more games=less variance) and if it's not successful get back to the 1.5$.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 02:11 AM..

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
Thank you very much. I'll try it some more then and bear that in mind.

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipumpet View Post
I usually play $1.50 turbo HUSNGs at which I've made $78 in ~110 hours. I've tried playing $3.50 turbo HUSNGs and I've lost $17 in 3 hours.

Firstly, what does my profit rate at $1.50 sound like?

And, more importantly, is there much of a skill difference between the 2 levels? Should I keep going at $3.50 or drop back down? Is it more likely that I've had bad luck or that I can't beat $3.50? Obviously i'd like to move up to it at some point but my bank roll is only at about $80

Thanks
Hi,

Very nice profit throughout that sample size! Appears you are crushing the games! It's hard to tell what your win rate is, as no exact sample size was given..but it's more than possible to have a 10%+ ROI throughout 500 to 1000 games at the $1.50 heads up sit n go's. Do not be discouraged about losing $17 at the $3.50 heads up sit n go's, that's about 5 buy ins total and those type of swings are super standard.

There is a huge gap in skill sets from the micro level to the low stakes level and not so much from the $1.50 to $3.50 stakes. Since you are playing $3.50 husngs and one level shy of $7 husngs (low stakes), I'd suggest that you focus on balance..in terms of bet sizing, 3 betting, check raising, open X% of hands from SB and defend X% from BB..there is so much more to elaborate on about what adjustments you will have to make that it would make my post rather lengthy!

Typically there is no need to worry about balance at the micros, as the level of play is not on par. But getting comfortable doing so now..will help your game out tremendously, increase your overall ROI and you'll be prepared for low stakes+.

A good rule of thumb, have anywhere from 30 to 50 buy-ins for any level (I'd prefer more, as I like to have a cushion)..if you drop below your required amount for that level..move down and rebuild.

If ever you encounter a troublesome hand or a spot that you where unsure of..post a hand replay for analysis and I'll help you out. Although I'd much rather prefer session reviews via voice call/hand replayer, it would be much easier to help with making adjustments to your game or suggesting alternative lines.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and good decisions,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 06, 2013, 12:28 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I like cannons answer. I think also pretty much the types o players. Maybe the shootouts and 3.50pound games have same regulars who are ok and some who taht are good. But the skill in the avg Field is the same as 1.50.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com