Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

What Skills?

Old
What Skills? - Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
I have been playing in the Open skill league and I would like someone to tell me what skills are we supposed to be learning.I tried to play tight and I got down to 121st place and it was tiresome,boring and more like bingo than poker.Then all of a sudden my cards have just been beaten and beaten and beaten and I only bet on AA KK QQ and thats it,I use my timer to try and get to the points but oh that is so frustrating and boring and then for 3 days now I just keep getting taken out and after all my hard work and patience I am back in the 200,s because of donks who will call,bet or go all in on nothing and end up with giant stacks.Frankly Im over it and I dont believe there are any skills to learn except how to play well and get beaten.Hopefuly I can still make the premier league for next month and that will prove to be full of real poker players but Im beginning to have my doubts.And before you judge me about being a whinger I play on the cash tables and have won many tournaments and do ok I would consider myself an average player.Anyway I just needed to have a rant and hopefuly someone can tell me what the open skill league teaches you that is positive.

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Try the premier league qualifiers for $1.10, if you get a good score in 5 games then "stick" and don't play any more.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi CELL26!

What this league teaches is patience. If you think these are boring... then you won't want to play a big live MTT. You will see many less hands and it will be 100x worse. Patience is a huge key. I can personally say that in one big tourney I was in (WSOP Circuit), I went almost 5 hrs without even playing ONE hand.

Patience in poker is a necessity.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#4)
It teaches patience. And how to play a league format as well as how to play when no one else is willing to.

It teaches that if you want to get something for nothing so does everyone else.

However you find this version of the game unsatisfactory showing you are looking to play better poker than 90% of the rest of the field.

PSO nor pokerstars can control how well or how badly players play,only we can do that if you are looking for games with a higher level of skill may I recommend the monthly PSO series.

Grade. B

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 08:29 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks for the feedback guys and I shall take your advice onboard Im still learning of course and it was just good to have a rant as I still havnt worked out how to totally control my emotions which is what I will have to do to become a better player and it made me feel better after I raved on lol.With only a week to go in the Open skills league Im fairly sure I will make the cut for the premier league even though I just got wasted again when I had QQ.I hear what you are saying JWK24 and I shall definately be working on my patience and it helped me to read your blog about your live games as I too quite often bet into AA etc and then think what the hell did I do that for coz sometimes I get the old nagging doubt that these online games are rigged and of course I wouldnt like that to be the case.So anyway thanks again guys and patience it is that I must learn.

Old
Fri Aug 23, 2013, 10:32 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CELL26 View Post
I too quite often bet into AA etc and then think what the hell did I do that for coz sometimes I get the old nagging doubt that these online games are rigged and of course I wouldnt like that to be the case.
Patience online, which PSO Skill Leagues forces you to learn (if you want to do well in this PSO league format), will change the mindset of not only the "rigged" issue, but so many others (bad beats, "lucky" players etc), there is no point thinking these thoughts will trying to make the right decision for a certain hand. Playing the League will make this clear over time and ultimately making you able to give 100% concentration on playing your A-game.

Hope this makes sense.

(The book - The Poker Mindset by Matthew Hilger, Ian Taylor, gave me the inspiration I thought I had lost, and I had those exact same thoughts you mention in your post before reading the book).

Last edited by slettuce; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thankyou slettuce I shall read the book as I really do intend to become a better player,in fact my ultimate goal is to be one of the best so I really appreciate those of you who take the time to help me and good luck to you guys and perhaps I will see you on the tables.At the moment my favorite is $1.50 90 player knockouts and my best so far is to win with 14 knockouts.

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
It teaches Patience and discipline. \something most of the young players seem to be sorely lacking.

"A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 07:26 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2013
HI all , I am still a believer that the tourneys should be at a faster blind level limit and anyone that has entered and sits out a full blind level and has not played is automatically eliminated this will give players that want to play keep more interested in the game and stop waiting . I have no problem playing the saps that run the clock but it still has no learning values .Running clocks basically comes down to if ur hitting the ITM or points. I would think that if any player that plays the premiere league and wants to be any part of it has already invested many monies to gain VPPs and would rather spend 4-5 hours at a cash tourney rahter then kill 3-4 hours for nothing only to LOOSE POINTS .Just my feellings and i luv poker and the community here ,we have many good players

Last edited by RiverFlat; Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 09:24 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverFlat View Post
HI all , I am still a believer that the tourneys should be at a faster blind level limit and anyone that has entered and sits out a full blind level and has not played is automatically eliminated this will give players that want to play keep more interested in the game and stop waiting . I have no problem playing the saps that run the clock but it still has no learning values .Running clocks basically comes down to if ur hitting the ITM or points. I would think that if any player that plays the premiere league and wants to be any part of it has already invested many monies to gain VPPs and would rather spend 4-5 hours at a cash tourney rahter then kill 3-4 hours for nothing only to LOOSE POINTS .Just my feellings and i luv poker and the community here ,we have many good players

There are several players who don't want to play sitters. I just don't get why? They are the fastest players to fold. If a freeroll for free cash does keep a players interest then they can deposit and go straight to the cash tables. I'm one of the saps that will use the clock early on if i don't get an early double up as even on a day when i'm card dead i would like positive points for the end of the month. There are lots of other tourniments to play including the series run out of the PSO home games club.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:01 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
I haven't played these for a while, but when I did, I was playing other tables at the same time. They're not quite so boring if you have 3 (or more) other tables on the go.

Old
Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7108 View Post
I haven't played these for a while, but when I did, I was playing other tables at the same time. They're not quite so boring if you have 3 (or more) other tables on the go.

+1000000

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 05:42 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi Cell, I believe if u could look at the open as a
unique/1 of a kind type of thing you'll do better.
Don't compare it to other tourneys....just learn how to use it
to get to the Premier if that is what you are trying to do.
If you are trying to build a BR with it, Balls to the Wall !
If you are trying to WIN IT, there is only 1 route & ur gonna
need to remove the QQ & KK early besides.

I suspect some of the best Open Leaguers don't even play AA early
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CELL26 View Post
I have been playing in the Open skill league and I would like someone to tell me what skills are we supposed to be learning.I tried to play tight and I got down to 121st place and it was tiresome,boring and more like bingo than poker.Then all of a sudden my cards have just been beaten and beaten and beaten and I only bet on AA KK QQ and thats it,I use my timer to try and get to the points but oh that is so frustrating and boring and then for 3 days now I just keep getting taken out and after all my hard work and patience I am back in the 200,s because of donks who will call,bet or go all in on nothing and end up with giant stacks.Frankly Im over it and I dont believe there are any skills to learn except how to play well and get beaten.Hopefuly I can still make the premier league for next month and that will prove to be full of real poker players but Im beginning to have my doubts.And before you judge me about being a whinger I play on the cash tables and have won many tournaments and do ok I would consider myself an average player.Anyway I just needed to have a rant and hopefuly someone can tell me what the open skill league teaches you that is positive.

Old
Sun Sep 01, 2013, 05:24 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Thanks guys for your comments I have to say that by playing in the Open League has definately taught me to play a better game especially where my emotions are concerned as when I am sitting on the timer I quite often get hassled to hurry up and get on with playing but what those hasslers need to understand is that we all have our own way of playing and in my mind my way is successful for me as I ended up finishing 106th and I achieved 2 goals that I had set for myself and that was to make the premier league with 150vpp and to be the highest finishing NZer.By using the timer my chances of making ITM were greatly increased and I found that often once I got to ITm even though I had minimal chips I was able to get a good stack very quickly by playing with good skills so I have to say that my original rant and rave was probably a bit out of order and I have actually learned quite a bit.This point in particular is that I have to vary the way I play my game according to who Im playing against and what type of tournament.My goal this month is to make the top 50 of the premier league so we shall see if I have learned enough skills to do that.

Old
prem - Sun Sep 01, 2013, 06:55 PM
(#15)
Since: Apr 2013
BronzeStar
Gl next month - I qualified via the prem lg qualies and just finished my first month.

Overall im pleased as I made 82nd place and had a few chances to win (best finish 3rd)

I found the competition pretty good overall and as long as you anticipate that there are going to be a range of skill levels I think you will find it a lot more satisfying than the open lg which I hated.

I believe I have a good strategy now to do well in prem but its going to take a lot of discipline and patience - I hopefully see you next month up near the top of the leaderboard

Cheers

Buybadmiral

Old
mmh - Mon Sep 16, 2013, 02:15 AM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
It teaches patience. And how to play a league format as well as how to play when no one else is willing to.

It teaches that if you want to get something for nothing so does everyone else.

However you find this version of the game unsatisfactory showing you are looking to play better poker than 90% of the rest of the field.

PSO nor pokerstars can control how well or how badly players play,only we can do that if you are looking for games with a higher level of skill may I recommend the monthly PSO series.

Grade. B
even if you are somehow all right i kind of feel the same as the guy from the original post (playing myself only very few good hands, at least i though) because it finally comes to the point where you have to throw your chips on the table and hope that one of the many idiots that call your all in bet (cuz you waited so long you re totally outstacked).
i can tell you how would feel Marquez on his marvellous HONDA if he lost against an old drunk biker on a 1945 HARLEY.
except i m not bored but extremely frustrated (and pissed)
also, since you re playing so seriously and have time to observe, seeing wich hands make it true the big all in lottery doesn t really help.
that s for the feelings, you re not alone dude
that said i know there is nothing pokerschool can do about it, i am thankfull for the chance offered to build a bankroll from scratch and the energy you all put in the job
BUT, there is something you should able to do about the sitting out players who, in addition of the disadvantage for their table are really screwing the game. why do you have to make it visible ? on many other sites it doesn t show and that makes it possible to play a more regular game. the remaining players will figure it out eventually anyway.
you might also post a message to remind that sitting out is the stupidest thing to do.
think about it, and have a great day (cold and rainy)
just got busted with my last 3 played hands wich were AA KK and QQ, called with crap : why are idiots so lucky ??
did help a bit to write about it, hope i made my point now it s time to go walk the dogs

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyolman View Post
I suspect some of the best Open Leaguers don't even play AA early
sleepy
I was reading this last friday and I was kinda doubting if it was true.

Later in the evening I played an open league game and busted out in 7000th place because my AA's got cracked by someone going all in pre-flop with 92o, hahah, I was even happy to get all the chips in...

Not only did I fail to gather some much needed points, I lost some aswell.

So yeah, I do believe you are correct sir.

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 04:57 PM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblepie View Post
I was reading this last friday and I was kinda doubting if it was true.

Later in the evening I played an open league game and busted out in 7000th place because my AA's got cracked by someone going all in pre-flop with 92o, hahah, I was even happy to get all the chips in...

Not only did I fail to gather some much needed points, I lost some aswell.

So yeah, I do believe you are correct sir.

Na.... I would always play AA and KK in the open league know as we do that sometimes it will get cracked but that the extra chips i make on other times will help me make up those loses.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Na.... I would always play AA and KK in the open league know as we do that sometimes it will get cracked but that the extra chips i make on other times will help me make up those loses.

Grade b
Hm, yes, that seems to make sense aswel.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com