5NL Fast (6 max) - AQo in SB Vs UTG Raise

Old
5NL Fast (6 max) - AQo in SB Vs UTG Raise - Fri Aug 23, 2013, 07:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar

Background:

Pre-flop

I opted not to 3bet with AQo Vs UTG Raise as Villain had only played 2/18 hands (VPIP 11.11; PFR 11.11; 3Bet 0.00; CBet 100), so had limited information. Previous hand incl. Called 2bet from blinds with A3o.

Post-flop

I opted to XR OTF after hitting 2 pair & Villain flatted, so made me think he was reasonably strong AK; KK; poss JJ; TT; s/draws etc.

After hitting a FH OTT I decided to Cbet 2/3 pot, which left me with a pot sized bet to set up the shove OTR. Villain called OTT & OTR.

Question[s]:

1) Do you agree with the way I played the hand / bet sizing?
2) Do you agree with my analysis / Villains range?

Welcome your comments / feedback?

BR

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 01:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
Preflop its fine.

On the flop i dont like your CR, we have a very strong hand on a dry board that is going to get cbet too often by any 2 cards, and your CR its going to fold all the bluffs and weak holdings and the only hand that you beat that can call its AK (which you block a few combinations). Unless you have the read that he its a station and cant fold AJ AT etc, i rather go for a call-call-call line and if he checks the turn you can easily value bet river.

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 04:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
I personally like the c/r to maximise value from strong aces which raise utg. When the board pairs a hand like AK is never folding i'd probably size our bet a bit bigger (maybe 1.05) so the river isn't a full pot size bet.

Well played to get stacks in.

Another line would be to c/c flop, c/r turn and shove river (assuming we c/r big enough)

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 05:38 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Hi Carlos / birdayy,

Thank you for your comments... I purposely made my x/r OTF small to try to induce action from better holdings whilst not chasing away worse hands e.g. TT+, AJ, AT in an attempt to maximise value. Had I x/c OTF and then x/r OTT would it not polarise my hand even more and therefore miss out on value?

After reviewing the hand; I thought I should have made my bet OTT slightly larger e.g. $1.10 or £1.20 & then shove OTR?

Look forward to your thoughts / comments?

BR

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 05:41 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#5)
Hi guys,

All of you make good points here; more importantly the line that we choose is villain dependent as Carlos points out.
I think a flop x/r line has its merits and drawbacks:
a) x/r will narrow their starting range by 75% and could help our opponent play perfect against us if they know how to fold. They'd be folding worse Aces and only continuing with AA/QQ/44, AK/AQ.

b) However, we do want to build the pot and a turn x/r will look much scarier that a flop x/r; but when we x/c flop and x/r turn we get off another bet from our opponent which we would not get if we x/r flop and they fold.

I like the x/r sizing you took Prodigy that way we can ensure they call us lighter. Maybe make it just a bit larger OTT to make it easier for them to call OTR

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 07:21 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2013
I also like your x/r OTF. The only thing i can spot its your turn bet, you should consider betting larger there, as you said $1.1 is a good bet there.

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your comments... much appreciated. Here's how the hand played out.

Showdown:

Not sure I'm ever getting away from this one [... as the hand pretty much played itself] & think Villain would have played AK, 44 in the same way.

Cheers,

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2013
Wow, I am pretty sure, I wont get away from this hand as well. No one is ever folding a full-house

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 08:26 PM
(#9)
marking as evaluated

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com