Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1.50 50/50, Bad play or Cooler?

Old
1.50 50/50, Bad play or Cooler? - Fri Aug 23, 2013, 11:01 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
No hud so no stats, although villain had been involved in quite a few pots. I felt pot committed with less than a pot sized bet left on the turn.

Last edited by joy7108; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: wrong hand

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Joy!!

I'd ask how the tables have been treating you, but it looks like it's about the same as me lol I'm just coming off a heater though, so it's just my time.

Looks well played as usual to me, so I vote cooler (although I don't play 50/50s). Hopefully the luck'll go your way next time!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Aug 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 12:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
cooler for sure

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 01:06 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Joy!

I'd definitely put it in the cooler category (with an asterisk), but I would have went about the hand a bit differently.

Preflop, with a limp in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I'd raise to 320. With a premium hand, I don't want to raise less and price in a marginal hand to draw. Early in one of these, I'd expect to get enough players that would stay, I don't want to invite too many into the pot.

I see three unders on the flop but there is a diamond draw. When it checks to me, I'm going to bet 2/3 pot (what I need to bet to price out the draw), so I will bet 533. Betting 400 will price out one opp, but not both of them, if they both stay.

On the turn, with a SPR under 1, it's an instant ship for me. I'm getting them in here every single time.

Unfortunately, they hit their 6 outer, which will happen 12% of the time. However, the opp did made a -EV play on the turn and to get the opp to make a negative play, is all that I can do... BUT... I want them to have to make a -EV play on every single street, not just on one or two streets.

The opp only needs 25% equity to call the smaller bet preflop and 78s has 25% equity, even if the opps are playing top 10% ranges, so the opp made a +EV play preflop (but they made a -EV play on the flop and turn).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 01:59 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Joy!

I'd definitely put it in the cooler category (with an asterisk), but I would have went about the hand a bit differently.

Preflop, with a limp in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I'd raise to 320. With a premium hand, I don't want to raise less and price in a marginal hand to draw. Early in one of these, I'd expect to get enough players that would stay, I don't want to invite too many into the pot.

I see three unders on the flop but there is a diamond draw. When it checks to me, I'm going to bet 2/3 pot (what I need to bet to price out the draw), so I will bet 533. Betting 400 will price out one opp, but not both of them, if they both stay.

On the turn, with a SPR under 1, it's an instant ship for me. I'm getting them in here every single time.

Unfortunately, they hit their 6 outer, which will happen 12% of the time. However, the opp did made a -EV play on the turn and to get the opp to make a negative play, is all that I can do... BUT... I want them to have to make a -EV play on every single street, not just on one or two streets.

The opp only needs 25% equity to call the smaller bet preflop and 78s has 25% equity, even if the opps are playing top 10% ranges, so the opp made a +EV play preflop (but they made a -EV play on the flop and turn).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

I think it's actually 9 outs,isn't it? All 4 9's play,2 more 7's for trips and 3 8's for 2 pair. Which bumps their equity up to 20.5% on the turn call.

Still a bad call by them on the turn Joy. Look at your play as they should have...

We're level 5 here so they've seen you,you've seen them for several orbits by now. Can't see how they could think that you're ever weaker than an over pair to their weak 7 when they make both the flop and the turn calls,not with the line you took and from MP1 to boot. That says strength,especially since it's a fair bet that you were showing one of,if not THE tightest images on the table. The J on the flop doesn't slow you down,the 10 on the turn either. I'm thinking QQ+ or even worse and set of J's or 10's is going to be what you have if I'm the villain. If it's the naked pair then my 20.5% equity on the turn call ain't good enough as I have 29% pot equity. If you DO have either set it's even worse as 8's and 7's are gone for me as outs and only the 4 9's can save me. And with your line here JJ and 1010 are easily in your range,at least they would be to a player that's paying any attention.

Which the villain here was not,apparently.

Be a little more aggressive in your bet-sizing is the one fix I would make here,Joy.JW's on point ...3x +1 for each limper is a good rule of thumb at this depth stack sizes vs the blinds and the 2/3's pot on the flop is also ideal. Remember to be consistent in your betting patterns for the most part (it doesn't hurt to have an odd "change-up" play in your bag from time to time to keep opps wrong-footed as much as possible...I personally try to mix it up on when I mix it up...maybe an odd-ball line on a drawing hand one time and with premiums the next...).

Run better you...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com