Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Good decision went wrong or ... ?

Old
Question
Good decision went wrong or ... ? - Sat Aug 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

This is the second hand in one of the PSO WCOOP freerol tourney for the 3.3$ ticket.
My question is : was it too early to shove ?

Thanks and regards,
Bogdan 'Shoim'

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Bogdan!

With AKs on the 2nd hand of the tourney, I get a standard raise in front of me. I'm going to 3-bet here and make it a standard 3x sizing to 180. However, if multiple players now shove preflop, I need to be ready to muck, as AK plays much worse against multiple opponents.

I flop top pair, but this is a very scary board. When the opp checks to me, since I did 3-bet preflop, I will make a standard c-bet. Post-flop bets need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. For one opp, the standard size is 1/2 pot (unless the opp could have a combo draw, then it's 2/3 pot). Especially with a wet board like this, I don't want to bet more than this and will size my bet at 195, as I want to try to exercise some pot control just incase the opp is a maniac. 195 is the least that I can bet and still accomplish my goal of pricing them out.

The opp now shoves on me. This is big trouble and due to it being early, I need to err on the side of caution here. A tourney cannot be won within the first few hands, but it sure can be lost. Due to this, I'm mucking and saving my chips for a spot where I know I'm ahead, not using them when I can easily be behind or drawing dead. Over-valuing top pair is a common mistake that many players have and is something that I want to avoid, as it will leak off a large number of chips over time to the opps if I don't.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 24, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#3)
It was a good shove if he thought he could get calls from AK.

Question is when you called what range of hands do you think he would do this with?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

I'm with you on your decision in this specific tourney. It's the 2nd hand and you probably don't have any reads on the villain. We see the result utg +1 raises a bit light imo and flops the effective nuts.

But you can 2 x re-buy 3000 chips for 20c the Free-11c is over prematurely but we have 3 hours to go. I played in this event and needed a double re-buy under similar circumstances. Then when you get past the 10c add-on period your playing a different game for a ticket.

So it's a cooler in that spot.

Some more information about this PSO free-buy re-buy/add-on game.

Guarantee was covered in four of these games I have played. In this one think it was 119 tickets in the end after all the 10c we add-on to the prize pool. But at that stage I was worried shoving utg KK and getting called by a loose Ace rag. It is serious for me a 30c investment for a $3.30 ticket and busting at that point.

Maybe a bankroll question I was ok with 50c = 2 x double re-buys + 1 add-on. There has been a recent training on re-buys not sure if it was 10x re-buys or 10% ticket price but definitely stop if a double re-buy at that blind level isn't worth it.

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:21 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It's personal preference, but you won't see me rebuy in a freeroll. The add-on may or may not be worth it, but I'm definitely NOT rebuying.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
It's personal preference, but you won't see me rebuy in a freeroll. The add-on may or may not be worth it, but I'm definitely NOT rebuying.

John (JWK24)
With you on that.

First 3 training tickets just needed the 10c add-on for each tourney 30c = $9.90, then 4th time oops.
Didn't feel obligated to add 20c back into the pool for another $3.30 run good.

Try to get back to you on recent HA probably forget tomorrow - something like "reverse engineer equity % to basic ratio method for students"

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com