Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25nl zoom, AK MP vs CO 3bet. 140bb deep

Old
25nl zoom, AK MP vs CO 3bet. 140bb deep - Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
vs 25/23/14 AF 314 hands, 12% 3bet, 18.2(11) 3bet from CO

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Button ($29.14)
SB ($33.68)
BB ($54.65)
UTG ($39.86)
Hero (MP) ($54.58)
CO ($34.96)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.75, CO raises to $2.25, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.85) 4, A, Q (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75

Turn: ($10.35) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($10.35) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $4, CO raises to $15, Hero ...

a) Do you think villain stats are loose enough to get it in preflop? reviewing the hand i think yes, but at the moment i thought that if i got 5bet i would have to fold, so decided to call OOP.

b) i think flop and turn are standard, now on the river after his turn check, i thought he had either complete air that he gave up or a hand he would like to keep the pot small, like AK,AJ,AT,KK, Qx so i bet small to get called by those hands, how much would you bet?

c)Call or fold the reraise on river?

Last edited by CaRLoS_DZ87; Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
I don't think if he had some major pocket pair like QQ+ or two pair he would bet OTT.

So looks like he'd love to get a freecard so he checked back OTT. Big raise on the river usually indicates a strong hand I think he hit his flush. He could also hit a st8 A-5 but hands like 32/35/36s are out of hit pre CO 3-bet range.

The thing is your value bet on river indicates something like TPTK/Two Pair. Which gives him the opportunity to win the pot right there.

a) I think his 3-bet range from CO is approx. {TT+, ATs+,KQs,AJo+} and you have 47.8% equity against it. which means you can 4-bet and shove pre-flop.

c) I am never calling in this spot, way too much hands that can beat us. Reraise? I find myself reraising in this spot only if I face a decent player who is able to play his bluff as a flush draw. Folding is a better choice here.

b)Given that you're OOP I think you played well, if you bet bigger lets say 2/3 of the pot then you either get a fold from worse hand or you get raised with the better one.

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 01:50 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemmio View Post
I don't think if he had some major pocket pair like QQ+ or two pair he would bet OTT.
You mean check?

Quote:
a) I think his 3-bet range from CO is approx. {TT+, ATs+,KQs,AJo+} and you have 47.8% equity against it. which means you can 4-bet and shove pre-flop.
I think from this spot, he would be more polarized, like for value JJ+ AK, and as bluffs Axs, Kxs

c) I am never calling in this spot, way too much hands that can beat us. Reraise? I find myself reraising in this spot only if I face a decent player who is able to play his bluff as a flush draw. Folding is a better choice here. I meant like what we do when get reraise, going to edit that so its more clear, my fault

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRLoS_DZ87 View Post
You mean check?
I was just thinking out loud there

Polarized range will cut a bit your equity but not for much, it will be approx. 47.4% which is still good for 4-bet shove.

What about reraise. I really put him on QJc/QTc given that I am folding the river.
3-bet would be a bad decision since no better hands are folding, he's not folding his Q-high or T-high flush there.
Calling is an +EV action there the chances of him having flush are ~27% which means you need 1.4:1 pot odds to call, whilst you are having 2.7:1

Last edited by Kemmio; Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Carlos,

A) Yes, I would 4b/get it in vs. a guy with this aggressive of a 3b game.

B) tbh, I would probably bet zero. He's got an AF of 14 which is insane, this guy doesn't call. The river card can complete some of his air, and no doubt some of his preflop 3b resteal range includes A-rag, which like most of it gets there as well. I would generally just check and call to exploit his over aggressiveness. we may lose some value from A8 if he decides to check those down, but I'd guess this villain will be the river with an ace anyway when checked to twice... he probably can't help himself. And we give him a chance to bluff all those "just giving up on the turn" hands, which again, he probably can't help himself. Betting is too thin here imo, not enough worse 1 pair hands that will pay off (A-x), and we hate getting raised. But check-calling should be very profitable vs. this villain as played.

C) I would fold, just so much of his A-x, 3x, and club steals got there. It would be more clear for sure if we bet $6-$8, since as played we're worried that he reads our sizing as a weak stab and is raising us with air. It would be even clearer if we check/called $6-$8, maximizing value against his air/bluffs, minimizing loss against his better hands, and probably getting the same value from his slightly worse hands that would have paid off a value bet, but bet anyway and value own themselves because he was checked to twice and just can't stand it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
The fact that we have the Kc on our hand reduces somehow his bluffs.
I feel like both check-calling or bet-folding are good on the river, but I also prefer check-calling to let him bluff or valueown himself.

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 10:11 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Carlos,

A) Yes, I would 4b/get it in vs. a guy with this aggressive of a 3b game. I agree now.

B) tbh, I would probably bet zero. He's got an AF of 14 which is insane, this guy doesn't call. The river card can complete some of his air, and no doubt some of his preflop 3b resteal range includes A-rag, which like most of it gets there as well. I would generally just check and call to exploit his over aggressiveness. we may lose some value from A8 if he decides to check those down, but I'd guess this villain will be the river with an ace anyway when checked to twice... he probably can't help himself. And we give him a chance to bluff all those "just giving up on the turn" hands, which again, he probably can't help himself. Betting is too thin here imo, not enough worse 1 pair hands that will pay off (A-x), and we hate getting raised. But check-calling should be very profitable vs. this villain as played. Ok, I definitely agree there is more value on check calling vs this specific opponent

C) I would fold, just so much of his A-x, 3x, and club steals got there. It would be more clear for sure if we bet $6-$8, since as played we're worried that he reads our sizing as a weak stab and is raising us with air. It would be even clearer if we check/called $6-$8, maximizing value against his air/bluffs, minimizing loss against his better hands, and probably getting the same value from his slightly worse hands that would have paid off a value bet, but bet anyway and value own themselves because he was checked to twice and just can't stand it. Well my thought process at the moment went like this:

Can he have a flush?.- no way this guy doesn't double barrel with a flush draw (now im thinking that maybe one with the Qc).
Can he have a set or two pair before the river?.- Don't think so with the check on the turn
Although i was value betting i did realize that my small bet could have induce a bluff.

Maybe you can tell me what flaws my thought process have, Dave?

At the moment i dint thought about the possible straight which is a really bad flaw lol, because he does raise it for value, but how many 3x this guy have on his light 3bet range? A3, K3s kind of hard to imagine someone 3betting 23s 34s 35s 36s vs MP.., Also you think he would raise two pair here?

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Button ($29.14)
SB ($33.68)
BB ($54.65)
UTG ($39.86)
Hero (MP) ($54.58)
CO ($34.96)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.75, CO raises to $2.25, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.85) 4, A, Q (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75

Turn: ($10.35) 2 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($10.35) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $4, CO raises to $15, Hero calls $11

Total pot: $40.35 | Rake: $1.82

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

I don't like being result oriented so maybe you can tell me if you still think this is a fold?

Thanks Dave!

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 10:15 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
The fact that we have the Kc on our hand reduces somehow his bluffs.
I don't know what its more important here, the fact that i block all his KcXc light 3bets, or the fact that he is not bluffing with the nut flush blocker.

Last edited by CaRLoS_DZ87; Mon Aug 26, 2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 12:28 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2012
Thanks for sharing. Some insightful stuff here

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 01:39 AM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2012
I hate flatting with AK OOP in 3b pots. Of course it can keep some of his bluffs in but I think a better play would be to 4b get it in pre. It's never too bad getting in AK pre, because we maximise fold equity, have blockers, and do ok vs a balanced 3b value range (probably TT+, KQ, AJ+ vs this particular villain)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com