Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AJ - Flush and Straight draw. Should I call?

Old
AJ - Flush and Straight draw. Should I call? - Sun Aug 25, 2013, 03:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 40/80 Blinds (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

UTG (t790)
UTG+1 (t1,095)
MP1 (t2,155)
MP2 (t25,375)
Hero (CO) (t1,304)
Button (t13,565)
SB (t20,530)
BB (t8,400)

Hero's M: 10.87

Preflop: Hero is CO with ,
4 folds, Hero raises to t240, 1 fold, SB calls t200, 1 fold

Flop: (t560) , , (2 players)
SB bets t1,120, Hero calls t1,064 (All-In)

Turn: (t2,688) (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2,688) (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2,688

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
well on this forum, they always allow others, (like myself )to make an opinion, right or wrong, before a Hand Analizer comes along.....yes you did the right thing in my books, you maybe? just could have shoved all in pre flop? it probably wouldn't have stopped him being involved in the hand, but may have made it harder, , I dont know....... edit, yes I think you played well and were just unlucky my friend!!

Last edited by WeaselBasher; Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
You should call pretty much always, since you are probably a slight underdog most of the times and sometimes even ahead.
With 560 chips already in the pot I can't see how we can fold.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Sun Aug 25, 2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 02:48 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
You're getting decent odds to call (I didn't calculate) but if you fold, you'll still have enough chips left to play. Given the action on the flop, I think you're the favourite to win.

I see the blinds are still fairly small 80/40 but I also see some huge stacks there. Your 3BB raise is very easy for them to call with almost any two cards. It looks like they've been playing very aggressively, probably loose too, and that's what you'd expect from the SB too who calls. I'm not sure if AJs is strong enough for a 3BB bet, given your 16BB stack. A borderline shove against the big stack maybe, expect a call, then wish for the best?

I didn't look at the results but that bet on the flop looks like they may have hit a pair or they might just have a draw. Once in a while you see this action with thin air, 32o, as they want to steal the pot. They put the pressure on you, as expected. The best way to play against these big stacks would be to raise, raise, raise, instead of calling, just to not let them bully. You might make them fold.

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 03:07 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
snap snap snap snap snap snap call

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 09:12 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi skrish76

CALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL xD

I would expect to be either flipping or to be a big favourite versus a weaker draw.
If villain is calling out of position with 79o then it's likely that he will be calling with random 7x and Jx hands that we have dominated. Were also in good shape against hands like Q10/K10.
I think that were ahead of villain too much of the time to consider folding, this and the fact that we don't have many chips should be more than enough of a reason to get the money in.

Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com