Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder.

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder. - Sun Aug 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Hi guys,

I would like to participate in the Bankroll Builder if eligible.

Keep it up!

Nataraj1

Old
Sun Aug 25, 2013, 11:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 11:53 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Nataraj1,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 02:58 PM
(#4)
Thanks John, awesome news! Will report back for the next steps.

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 06:14 PM
(#5)
Hi John.

1. Done

2. Here's a hand I got twice today.

Not sure if I should have gone this far in the hand, but seeing that I have and have a straight draw, I don't know how I should play it.

3. Done!

Cheers.

Last edited by Nataraj1; Tue Aug 27, 2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: fixed typos

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nataraj1!

With QT from mid position and 2 limps in front of me, I'm going to muck this preflop. It's too weak of a hand to raise with, with this many opps to act behind me and I'm not limping behind with it, as I then have no clue whether I'd be ahead or not after the flop if I get a Q or T. If I did raise, I would need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper and with 2 limps, that would be to 10 chips. I do not want to raise to less than this or the opps can be getting the correct odds to call to try to outdraw me.

If I saw the flop (which I would not), when I see that I miss, I will check and fold to any bet.

The turn gives me a draw, but I currently have absolutely nothing. I will once again check and hope to see a free river card. If I did bet here, due to the large number of opps in the pot, I would need to make a pot-sized bet and a draw with nothing is nowhere near strong enough to do this with.

Easy check/fold on the river with nothing.

The key here is position. When in early and mid position, I need to be much more selective with the hands that I'm playing. Patience is a huge key in poker and if I do not have this patience, I will lose many more chips than I should.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 01:12 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Nataraj1!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 28, 2013, 04:43 AM
(#8)
Thanks John,

1. Hand

Here is a hand I did win yesterday. However, all the action from flop to the end was very scary to me. I slowplayed it. Is there a better way to play the set of 2 and not give the villain any opportunity? I am thinking All In straight after the flop, but is that a better play?

EDIT: Cash Game hand below:

What I would like to know here is whether this was the correct play or not. Playing Q5s seems a bit risky usually, but the table players seemed to allow playing smaller hands, so the question was whether to actually enter the pot since it was opened with a raise. After this, the flop was cool: offered me an opportunity for a flush draw. Here again, I would like to learn how to size this bet properly to get the most of the potential hand. Thanks!

2. Big Bets:
  • To pressure opponents
  • To make more money with very strong hands
  • To protect from others drawing better hands.

3. Done!

The cash game feels very different from the tournaments. Does the concept of EV come in play in tournaments too? I only knew the outs calculation.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nataraj1; Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Cash game hand example

Old
Wed Aug 28, 2013, 09:55 PM
(#9)
Thanks for the advice, makes sense. I've tightened my plays accordingly.

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:06 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataraj1 View Post
Thanks John,

1. Hand

Here is a hand I did win yesterday. However, all the action from flop to the end was very scary to me. I slowplayed it. Is there a better way to play the set of 2 and not give the villain any opportunity? I am thinking All In straight after the flop, but is that a better play?

2. Big Bets:
  • To pressure opponents
  • To make more money with very strong hands
  • To protect from others drawing better hands.

3. Done!

The cash game feels very different from the tournaments. Does the concept of EV come in play in tournaments too? I only knew the outs calculation.

Cheers!
Hi Nataraj1!

This looks like a tournament hand. I'll take a look at it, but please focus on full ring cash games for now. Playing games other than 2NL full ring can make you ineligible for the bankroll builder promotion.

You are in the bb and get to see the flop for free with a very weak hand Q2o. You get a great flop and both villains have much deeper stacks than you. This is good for two reasons. Firstly, they can call an all in by you without too much risk to their own stack. Secondly, since you are short stacked, you may appear desperate. So your shove won't get as much respect as it would if you were deeper.

On the negative side, you are out of position and first to act postflop. There is a possible flush draw showing. And, flopping trips is not as strong as flopping a set where you have a pocket pair. You may be facing another 2 but with a better kicker such as A2. Nonetheless, this looks like a spot where we want to get all our chips in the middle. If you shove on the flop, there is a good chance one or both villains will fold. This means we earn less than we could have. I would check as you did and hope one of the other opponents bets.

V7 does lead out and V4 calls. Your stack is a bit awkward compared to the pot now. Shoving is a bit big, but is fine. A smaller raise is committing you either way. And the all in may be viewed as a weaker hand than if you made a smaller raise.

Your line is fine, but calling may have been better if you expect V7 to lead out again on the turn. If you call the flop, then we can check-raise all in on the turn. This will hopefully win another small bet from both opponents and your raise will be nicely sized compared to the pot. This line does risk another heart coming though.

Note: stack sizes are very important in this hand and impact our choices. You have less than 9bb. In cash games we are typically much deeper often with more than 100bb. With deeper stacks we would need to bet more for value in order to build the pot and to protect our hand against anyone chasing a flush.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

PS: yes, ev (expected value) is important in all poker strategies.

Last edited by Roland GTX; Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 03:09 AM..

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:22 AM
(#11)
Thanks Roland,

I have added the cash game example accordingly (oops, sorry for that).

Thanks for the hand analysis!

Best.

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 07:37 AM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nataraj!

Please do not play ANY tourneys until you are done with this promotion. If you play any of them again, you will make yourself ineligible for all future bonuses.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#13)
Hi John,

Ok, noted: sat out of two I had registered in. Thanks for the heads up.

Old
Fri Aug 30, 2013, 08:44 PM
(#14)
Played some more cash games. They feel very different from tournaments. Itching to play some tourneys too, the VIP WCOOP Bash looks interesting.

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 06:20 AM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 06:24 AM
(#16)
Thanks royalraise. Looking forward to the analysis and the next steps!

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 06:50 AM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataraj1 View Post

EDIT: Cash Game hand below:

What I would like to know here is whether this was the correct play or not. Playing Q5s seems a bit risky usually, but the table players seemed to allow playing smaller hands, so the question was whether to actually enter the pot since it was opened with a raise. After this, the flop was cool: offered me an opportunity for a flush draw. Here again, I would like to learn how to size this bet properly to get the most of the potential hand. Thanks!

Cheers!
Hi Nataraj,

It seems you have posted your blind out of turn. I advice you not to do that and wait until the BB because it does not make sense to pay for two big blinds in one orbit when we will not be dealt a good hand 80% of the time
I also think we should be folding to the raise due to the weak holding and being OOP. As played, I don't mind the bet OTF. But I also think we can take different lines like x/c or a more aggressive line like x/r since we have an over card to the board, 9 outs to a Q high flush, and some back door potential we can continue betting OTT with.

GL at the tables!

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 06:53 AM
(#18)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 07:41 AM
(#19)
Thanks for the analysis and the advice about waiting for the BB, makes total sense.

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 09:12 AM
(#20)
Cool video, thanks.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target

Done! I am getting the hang of the FR cash games. I think I had a good run, break-even in 1.5 hours or so, so earned more than 10 VPPs in the meantime.

2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.

Was more or less break-even when I stopped.

3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

That was done!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com