Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

A9o with 20BB - Is it better to wait for a better position?

Old
A9o with 20BB - Is it better to wait for a better position? - Mon Aug 26, 2013, 04:21 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 04:51 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
A9s and a huge pot. I thought at least one villain would have an A which makes your odds worse. What tournament is this? How far is the bubble? How much longer can you wait? In a hyper-turbo, far from the bubble, I might push here because there's only one player in the pot who can take me out.

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 07:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
Easy fold

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 11:48 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi skrish76!

Please, always tell where the hands come from and any reads on the opponents. Different tourney types have different strategies and we want to be able to provide the best answer for your situation.

With A9s from the BB, I get a shove, 2 calls and a re-shove. In a cash tourney, this is an easy fold, as I have nowhere near a strong enough hand to call here (I'm even mucking AKs). Just because I have an ace or suited cards does not mean that they should be played.

If this is a league game, it's an easy snap-fold. In a league, I'd call with AA, possibly muck KK and definitely muck QQ or any other hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2013
Just adding a comment: If it's a Turbo Re-Buy tournament, I'll check the automatic rebuy checkbox and shove. If it's a normal speed tournament without rebuys I'll see too many opponents and too many chips to call and wait for a better chance.

Old
Mon Aug 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichi-77 View Post
Easy fold
Agreed

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com