Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

MTT/SNG player does cash

Old
MTT/SNG player does cash - Tue Aug 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
I have been playing poker for around 2 years now and have decided to broaden my knowledge away from tournament games.

In the past I have tried cash games to no avail as I probably played them in a more sng style.

Playing and studying a different variation of poker that I am used to, I think will improve all aspects of my game.

To start I will play 10 tables of 2nl full ring with abc style as this seems to be a standard tactic at this level.

If things seem to go well I will move up to 5nl as I am rolled for higher.

I wont set any volume goals as I think this could be a little distracting and I want to play my best when I do play.

I will try to limit my session times to 2 hours max as a loss of focus can lead to bad plays.

I want to dedicate 25% of my time spent on study.

I am really quite excited and quietly confident ,fingers crossed.

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 03:18 PM
(#2)
Adventures at 2nl seem to be going well although I have made a few mistakes.

After 10k hands I am at the point where I thought I would be.

Around the 5k hands mark I decided to update my hud with more post flop and steal/resteal stats as I never really used them in sngs. It took a while to adjust to all the new numbers and I was a little lost at first but now I can see it was worth it.

I have already identified some possible leaks, calling down a little light and calling 3 bets a little light

Last edited by DonkeyJez; Thu Aug 29, 2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 27, 2013, 03:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Good luck with it DJ... sounds like you're at the same point where I was about 3-4 yrs ago except I'm not 10 tabling (more like 4-6) GL with it and remember that cash tables need a different strategy compared to tourneys. When you review hands... look for leaks.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 06:07 PM
(#4)

I don't know what these guys were thinking.

Old
Thu Aug 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
(#5)
Looks like you're crushing the game at the moment, as 15bb/100 is a very high winrate for full ring games. 14/10 is solid TAG-type numbers. All the stats look great actually. You're c-betting and barrelling more often than I would think is optimal (you can't always have a hand, and there are a lot of calling stations at 2NL) but your aggression seems to be working very well so far, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change anything just yet. Perhaps the biggest mistake tourney players make when they move to cash games is they overvalue AK. In tourneys with a short-stack, AK is a monster you can happily stack off with almost always, but in 100bb cashgames, it's less strong. Look out for the nitty set-miners that will take your stack when you make TPTK and they have a set!

Good luck with this challenge and keep up the sterling results so far!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 31, 2013, 03:01 AM
(#6)
I decided to move up to 5nl as my main aim is to improve my game against better players and richer fish

From what I have seen so far there is a noticeable difference with more abc regs and less bad players.

Started off pretty well but the last few sessions felt like nothing was working. Maybe the regs had gathered enough stats on me to exploit my leaks.

I did some research on table selection and adopting this may have been a bad idea as I was sitting down with other table selectors

Old
Sun Sep 01, 2013, 12:52 AM
(#7)
I have been looking through some river decisions I have made as this can be a big leak.

Can I really find a fold here against a 12/8 tag reg with wtsd 27 and w$sd 63 14/100bb over 1.1k hands.

Hero call against a 63/50 maniac wtsd 49 w$sd 23 -450bb/100 118 hands

Villain is 19/11 tag reg wtsd 25 w$sd 36 -32bb/100 652 hands

Last edited by DonkeyJez; Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 01:22 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 01, 2013, 08:48 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
1st hand is a bet/fold on the river vs that villain.
2nd hand is completely standard vs a maniac.
3rd hand is really weird, besides deuces I can't put him on anything else that beats you there, I believe quads or A6 would shove river, and also a higher pair than Tens would raise flop or turn.
Good luck on the grind, keep crushing!

Last edited by GamblingProp; Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 01, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
1st one his stats give his hand away. I think we can get away from it. With those stats it narrows his range so much, what else could he be limping with that he won't raise with?

3rd one could be 77,88,99 imo. Think I'm calling here.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 01, 2013, 01:21 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2013
If I can analyse a bit from my point of view aka the fish view ... and start posting on this great forum...

1st hand, I don't think you can get away from it OTR. But I would guess if you would fire OTT he would probably re-raise you (judging on the size of his bet) so you would have a decision to make right there. That would probably be a better spot to get away than OTR where you had the flush.

2nd hand... such hands are just sick for me, because I don't use HUDs or stats, but if you say this is standard play against maniacs, so be it. But I think I would shove somewhere along the way... because calling is so weird for me... every street I would just get more lost and wouldn't know where am I.

3rd hand. I'm on board with Ovalman, he probably had smaller pocket pair than you. He was looking for value OTR from Ace (with something), which is what he probably put you on.

Old
Mon Sep 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#11)
When ducks go bad

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 01:55 AM
(#12)
After a good start to 5nl ive had a bit of break even patch with a mixture of suckouts and bad plays.This has given me an incentive to review more hands and play a little less.

I sat down for a session earlier and all the tables had a waiting list so I decided to play 2nl.
After this session I can see a big difference in the amount of regs between the two stakes.

My best session yet , played well and ran well.

60bb/100 I am really happy. This is a nice confidence booster.

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 09:32 PM
(#13)
Transitioning from 2nl to 5nl has really opened my eyes to how many leaks I have.

I think my preflop game is pretty solid from playing sng's but post flop is what I need to work on.

click for bigger

My current hud served me well on sng's but maybe I need more post flop stats to make decisions a little easier. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

20k hands at 5nl, 2nd graph is without blinds. I knew my non-showdown winnings would start to drop at some point but not by so much. I think I still have the sng chip preservation thing in my head and as such probably fold a lot of marginal spots probably with the best hand.

Some detailed stats, not that great of a sample but maybe someone can see anything considered to be a leak.

Last edited by DonkeyJez; Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 09:39 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com