Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom (6 max) JJ in M/W pot Vs UTG R + 2 callers (CO) & (Btn)

Old
5NL Zoom (6 max) JJ in M/W pot Vs UTG R + 2 callers (CO) & (Btn) - Tue Sep 03, 2013, 05:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar

Background:

My stats: VPIP 21; PFR17; 3bet 13 [85]
Only read on Villain was called 2b from blinds with KQo & played draw Aggressively [OTT].

Pre-flop:

I called UTG Raise rather than 3bet [mistake?] & found myself in a m/w pot after both the (CO) & Villain (Btn) came along for the ride.

Flop:

After hitting top set [... & UTG checked], I decided against leading out & checked behind as did CO. Villain (Btn) then bet $0.65 [pot size]. I was concerned that I would chase away any further action if I were to x/r, so opted to call in the hope he would continue to barrel OTT.

Turn:

I checked again & he duly obliged making it $1.90. With the pot now $3.87 & having discounted AA; KK; QQ [… as I would expect him to 3bet pre-flop] I decided to get it in OTT, having factored in that Villain may play 88 or 44 this way? Villain snap called.

River:

Two cards I didn’t want to see OTR was a Q or 7; in case he was open ended with T9 [… or poss gut shot with 56] & that’s exactly what I got!!!

Questions:

1). What range would you put Villain on & what would he bet 2 streets & snap call x/r 'all in' with OTT?
2). Is it possible he was holding KK?
3). Do you agree with my analysis & the way I played the hand?
4). What would you do differently?

BR Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Added

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 06:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Hand seems standard.
I would put him on 88,44,AJ,J8,JK and maybe 9T,QT if he is a maniac.
I would probably exclude KK since it's a hand perfect for a squeeze.
You can bet flop or check-raise it, but I don't blame you for slowplaying top set on a dry flop.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 06:34 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 10:12 AM
(#3)
Hi Tony

I think calling preflop as opposed to 3betting is descent against a standard TAG.
OTF, I think I would have taken a bet or x/r line. Although the board seems dry (though imo whenever there is a J/8 or J/9 on board the board becomes less dry), there are some cards that could either improve our opponents (especially in a MW pot) or kill our action.
KK is highly unlikely; their turn bet sizing looks like 88/44/KJ/KQ possibly an Ax hand or a PP looking to turn their hand into a bluff on the scary turn card but when they call they will always have a made hand. sets and KJ/KQ comes to mind.

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Hi Tony

I think calling preflop as opposed to 3betting is descent against a standard TAG.
OTF, I think I would have taken a bet or x/r line. Although the board seems dry (though imo whenever there is a J/8 or J/9 on board the board becomes less dry), there are some cards that could either improve our opponents (especially in a MW pot) or kill our action.
KK is highly unlikely; their turn bet sizing looks like 88/44/KJ/KQ possibly an Ax hand or a PP looking to turn their hand into a bluff on the scary turn card but when they call they will always have a made hand. sets and KJ/KQ comes to mind.
Hi George,

With the way the hand played out I genuinely thought I was up against a set i.e. 88 or 44 or poss KJ & whilst Villain had a made hand... it's not one that I was expecting given the post-flop action.

What do you think GP... Not sure the term 'maniac' even cuts it

BR Tony [aka Prodigy237]

P.S. [George] Would this be a good example of the Beluga Theorem at work or just plain old crazy?

Last edited by Prodigy237; Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 11:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
Maybe he misunderstood and thought that he had 44.
Or he was drunk, or high, or first time playing poker.

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy237 View Post
P.S. Would this be a good example of the Beluga Theorem at work or just plain old crazy?
From villain's persepctive, yes, but not yours.
The Baluga theorem states that you should re-evaluate the strength of one pair hands if you get raised on the turn. One pair is easily beaten. A set (especially if it was top set on the flop) is losing to so few hands that you'd need a sick soul read to consider folding. As played, you didn't get raised on the turn, because you didn't bet it. By under-repping your hand, villain is much more likely to bet with worse, but he should always fold one pair to your check-raise.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
From villain's persepctive, yes, but not yours.
The Baluga theorem states that you should re-evaluate the strength of one pair hands if you get raised on the turn. One pair is easily beaten. A set (especially if it was top set on the flop) is losing to so few hands that you'd need a sick soul read to consider folding. As played, you didn't get raised on the turn, because you didn't bet it. By under-repping your hand, villain is much more likely to bet with worse, but he should always fold one pair to your check-raise.
Hi Arty,

Sorry, I had meant from the Villain's perspective... It came up in a previous thread, where I had cbet OTT with KK & Villain R on paired board. (See Link)

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...n-paired-board

BR,

Tony

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com