Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Monsters

Old
Smile
Monsters - Wed Sep 04, 2013, 02:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Hey I was playing today and on one table I managed to pick up AA, shoved with short stack and got one caller... I won as you'd expect and thought yeah got a new life, I hope I pick up a hand and stay in it.

The very next hand I picked up KK in the big blind. I face a raise with two callers and I re-raise. The original raiser comes back at me and I ten shove he calls... I other was all in from my first re raise so I am chipped up but still below average.

No joke next hand I pick up QQ in the small blind and the guy who lost to me when I had kings tilt shoves... I called and someone else also calls and I hit a book QQQKK and suddenly I am big stack.

I was posting just wondering what the odds of hitting all three monsters in three consecutive hands is

P.S I have the video of the hand replays if people want to see it

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 03:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
depends on how specific you want to be.
do the hand have to happen in this order (AA,KK, then QQ)?

even so the odds of there existing a PS player whom this happens to during a particular year are high.
the odds of this happening to some particular player are lower. the exact odds depend on how many hands he plays.

the odds of this happening to that player in a particular set of 3 consecutive hands is lower: about 1 in 86 million, I believe.

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 03:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2013
Wow that is a lot shorter odds than I had thought. In my case it was AA, KK, QQ but I didn't care what order they were in from an odds perspective.

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 03:55 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I disagree with your numbers.

The odds on any specific hand (regardless of suits) is 1 in 221 = 1/(4/52 * 3/51)
the odds on any for the next hand is also 221 to 1
the odds on any third hand is 221 to 1

to get all 3 in a row, it's one in 221*221*221 or 1 in a bit under 10.8 million.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 04:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I disagree with your numbers.

The odds on any specific hand (regardless of suits) is 1 in 221 = 1/(4/52 * 3/51)
You are right. I did not account for the fact that the card order is irrelevant (AsAc == AcAs)

Last edited by TweedleBeetl; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 04:29 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 04:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
The odds that after you are dealt AA that your next two hands will be KK and QQ is of course lower than that only 48841 to 1 (221*221) as you already have the AA to start the ball rolling.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com