Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Gareth's Weekend 40k Hand +Fitness Challenge

Old
Gareth's Weekend 40k Hand +Fitness Challenge - Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey all

Starting tomorrow morning I am having a little mini-challenge for myself. From Thursday to Sunday (96 hours).

Goals:

1) Play 40k hands of Zoom six-max. Anywhere from 25nl-100nl.
2) Run 40km total
3) 400 push-ups

Alright, sounds easy eh?

I think the running is going to be the hardest part. I am going to have to do this early in the morning and late at night here, since its hot and humid.

Mini-goal: 5k hands of the 40k have to be 100nl.

So this is obviously a volume challenge, but coming out ahead in the profit department is important too.

I'll be updating this thread with hands I boom, results, and maybe even a tour of my apartment! Will post results after every 10k hands.

I'm playing tournaments on Sunday and doing the Saturday Game on Saturday, so I am hoping to get out ahead of things. Hopefully will be able to hit the 22k hand mark by end of Friday.

Other than that I just got to sleep well, take naps, eat well, and stay hydrated.

Going to start with a midnight run tonight . Challenge starts at 0100 EST since I'm 1 hour back of EST at the moment.

Wish me good luck, bad luck, whatever. This is going to be a fun thread

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
WOW!! You have a treat planned for yourself for completing the challenge?

Think for most of us, just doing a smidge of what's on that list would have us patting ourselves on the back and cracking open the cerveza

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:03 PM
(#3)
Just a day off planned afterwards Sam . Getting it all done with be reward enough

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
Sick you are playing my whole month volume in 4 days. Ill be following, Good luck!

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:22 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a couple of people who would start the routine with the beer, and go from there lol. But I guess if this is supposed to be a fitness challenge, then a beer at any point would be a no-no

Wow, you're going to be so fit!

And having a day off in Mexico is a pretty cool reward

GL Gareth

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRLoS_DZ87 View Post
Sick you are playing my whole month volume in 4 days. Ill be following, Good luck!

Ya ... haha!! He's playing my whole month's volume in *a day*!!

I do my best

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 12:37 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
wow!!! Good Luck......and I will be watching your C-Betting very closely ....

Last edited by WeaselBasher; Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 02:04 AM..

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 12:37 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
gl with the challenge G!

a video blog would be nice.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 01:57 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2010
Playing 10,000 hands per day and running 10,000 metres per day?

Will you be running with your mobile app playing ZOOM at the same time????

Good luck and enjoy your day off.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 02:15 AM
(#10)
GL Gareth!

Sounds like fun! Are you intending to run more than 4 Zoom tables?

Also, are you breaking the run up? For example a half an hour, 5K in the morning to wake up. Then another 5k in the evening to wind down?

gogogo!

Greg (Roland GTX)

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 05:43 AM
(#11)
Thanks all!

Video blog is definitely doable. Will not be playing on PokerStars Mobile App. That would be pretty funny. Playing on a treadmill would be pretty funny too, but I'll be running outside.

Planning on typically 5 tabling Zoom. Sometimes more sometimes less.

And its 4:40am here and I'm going for my first run. I will post a link afterwards on an app that has a map, its 5.7km the route, so I'll have to do that route exactly 7 times over the 4 days. Hopefully will get 2 laps in today .

Hopefully this works. First run in the books: http://t.co/4gtl81p4WC or http://runkeeper.com/user/GarethWMC/...l=web.activity

40 pushups down, 360 to go

Last edited by GarethC23; Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 06:53 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Wow, anybody else still in their jammies half asleep? lol

Is it a lot tougher jogging when it's humid, or in high altitudes?

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 08:07 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post

... Playing on a treadmill would be pretty funny too, but I'll be running outside.
I recommend reading Neal Stephenson's Reamde. Playing games while working out on the treadmill is pretty funny in that book!

gogogo

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 08:32 AM
(#14)
Since: Apr 2012
This challenge sounds pretty fun. I tried a bit of a fitness challenge myself a while back and still try to run about a mile or so before I get on with my poker grind most days. Unfortunately the poker side of things didn't go so great for me lol. I'm sure yours will go much better though. Good luck

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Great idea for a challenge.

10km per day could take a while. Pro tip: Don't run it twice.

Good luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 04:01 PM
(#16)
pretty much the worst start I could imagine. Done the run and pushups for the day but I am down a lot of money in 5k hands. Just took a break, 2 hours off, will probably take the rest of the day off. If I take the rest of the day off its going to be nearly impossible to finish the hands, but I went double my usual stop loss today and didn't feel like my play improved.

Obviously running poorly but my play was also poor. I was rushing decisions and playing C game.

We'll see.

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#17)
BronzeStar
Hey

Your experience sounds so similar to the one I had last week with my volume goal. Everything was okay at first ... until I started ignoring the signs of fatigue I usually rely on to tell me that I'm no longer playing my A game.

It's kind of awkward, because the whole point of setting a volume goal was to stretch limits. Looking back on the experience though, it kind of seemed like for me the volume goal wound up taking priority over decent play? And like yeah, I let the quality of play slide pretty far down the scale.

And then doing that gave me bigger tilt problems than usual - like I had to crack open the Jared Tendler materials, the whole bit

Anybody else have any similar/different experiences with trying to set volume goals? Any stuff you've found that worked better/worse for you?

EDIT: Oh, well there's a happy ending to the story too ... my volume has improved, but I guess for me, playing well needs to be my top priority no matter what because my A-game's not so hot to begin with? It's going okay now ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 10:39 PM
(#18)
yeah just going to call it and take the day off tomorrow. put up a big red number today. disappointed but doesnt make sense to keep pushing. Usually I am fine to play huge volume, just one of those days . I'll do the fitness portion of the challenge the rest of the weekend and then play fresh sunday. sorry all thanks for the support

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 11:01 PM
(#19)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
Playing on a treadmill would be pretty funny too
Not impossible.. I've actually done it before

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 11:06 PM
(#20)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Ya ... haha!! He's playing my whole month's volume in *a day*!!

I do my best
He's breaking my lifetime career hands.

Good Luck @Coach Gareth

PH

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com