Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Can someone answer this question?

Old
Can someone answer this question? - Wed Sep 04, 2013, 09:48 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
I was playing at the Horseshoe in Tunica last night. This was the 2nd Tournament I ever played in. To make a long story short, I had a pair of 7's. The other guy didn't have nothing, and I knew it. He tried to bluff me by going all in. I called his bluff and went all it. I hit the 3rd 7 for three of a kind beating his hand. The dealer said the other player had to cover me, so he won the hand. I have never heard of that or read about that anyplace. Did I get screwed?

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Did you get any chips? It sounds to me like your opponent had more chips than you so he had you "covered" . They get the side pot and you should get the main pot.

Although I haven't been there in a few years, I always considered it the best run poker room in the area. If you have reasonable doubt about the dealer's action call for a floor person to verify. If the dealer gets upset, they shouldn't be dealing. If your opponent objects, I definitely want the floor.

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
(#3)
what was the 5 board cards

what was his hand

did you get some chips and he got some?

you can only win as many chips as you start with from a single player.

so if yo have 500chips and he has 1000

when he went all in and you called he has more chips than you (he has you "covered")

you have the best hand and win 1000 chips your 500 plus 500 from him and he gets a refund of 500 chips

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 11:36 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Pretty sure you did not have the best hand. What were his hole cards and the board? If you were busted out, maybe the 7 that gave you a set also made him a straight?

If you got the main pot and were all in, and 2 or more players who had more chips were competing for an additional side pot, the winner between them would get the side pot and you'd get the main pot (if you had the best hand).

EDIT: Also, 100% sure you did not get screwed. While mistakes can happen, it sounds like what you're sort of describing would be a huge mistake that is not only very unlikely in a well run professional room like Horseshoe Tunica but also that none of the other players caught it either? You misunderstood something I think, but don't think you were screwed.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 08:25 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello sparky9614,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

I would agree with what others have said that it is very unlikely for a mistake that big to go unnoticed, I assume you may have misunderstood something. If you remember the other cards this may help figure it out.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com