Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Zoom 6max - AA flopped top set v 2 villans

Old
2NL Zoom 6max - AA flopped top set v 2 villans - Thu Sep 05, 2013, 10:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

Villan 1 - 30/21 3bet 11% fold to cbet 67%
Villan 3 - 17/10 3bet 0% fold to cbet 100%

I checked the flop here for a few reasons.
1. LAG behind with a good chance they will bet and I can chk/raise them
2. They fold far too often to cbets and I wanted to keep at least 1 player in.

Is it better to cbet here even though they fold so often and mainly only getting calls from flush draws or lower sets?
If I played it differently is it ever a spot I can get away from anyway?

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#2)
Sorry also wanted to know how I would be best playing this hand if all 3 of us was 200bbs deep. Playing zoom and normally after 30mins I am normally deep

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 11:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
I cbet this flop 100% of the time, not because I want them to fold nor I want them to call on all streets to get max value from my hand. When you slow play monsters and after get agressive your hand becomes readable.Some times I check in HU game OOP , but never IP and MW, because in MW pot a chance that someone hit the flop is extremely high and there're more hands that pay. that's my opinion. Your question is showdown oriented for me, there's no way I fold full house .

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 11:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Mikey,

YUK!

I think you played the hand fine in retrospect. There are good arguments for both lines on the flop. I think mixing between cbetting and x/r is a good way to keep opponents guessing.

Obviously with villains that fold to cbets a lot when they miss checking to induce bluffs from later streets or allow them to catch up is a better line, but also depends on their aggression.
This flop is pretty dry and we are hardly going to get 3 streets of value with our monster hand unless one of the villains happen to have a set or 2pair and that's a very narrow range. 7x or JJ-88 might call one or two streets but we can get those value streets on the turn and river. I'm not too worried about the FD because if a spade comes on the turn we also have to slow down so we are also limited to two streets of betting. Sometimes a spade might be an action killer and other times it improves villain if they have a single spade in their hand and might call on the turn when they would have folded to a flop bet.
From there the hand played out itself I think and there's not much to say about... just unlucky.

I'm not too comfortable playing deepstacked that's why I always leave a zoom table after 150bbs but in response to your question I think the same line applies on this particular flop had we been deepstacked.

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 11:25 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Luggs View Post

Is it better to cbet here even though they fold so often and mainly only getting calls from flush draws or lower sets?
If I played it differently is it ever a spot I can get away from anyway?
Hi Mikey,

With board texture & M/W pot... I think a cbet is mandatory in this spot to build pot & charge draws. Whilst you've hit top set it is still vulnerable & think most Villains will peel with hands like Ax, TT, 99, 88 & f/draws KQs; QJs etc, therefore I'm not a fan of giving a free card.

Also, I'm not sure I'm ever getting away from the hand... If you had cbet OTF you would probably get the money in OTT after Villain hit a set anyway...Unlucky.

Quote:
Sorry also wanted to know how I would be best playing this hand if all 3 of us was 200bbs deep. Playing zoom and normally after 30mins I am normally deep
As a general rule... Whenever I get 200 BBs deep I leave the table [Zoom] & buy back in for 100 BBs & start again, primarily for equity / decision making reasons [... rather than being concerned about losing 200 BBs]

Good Luck,

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Thu Sep 05, 2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 01:09 PM
(#6)
Hi all thanks for your replies and some interesting things to take into account so thanks.
I wasn't result orientated here, if I played the hand again and I would be getting my money in again. Only lose to 4 of a kind and if they have it good for them. Was looking more from the point of view of what would get me the most money over time. Checking and allowing them to bluff/semi bluff hands or charging for draws, lower sets etc and getting value.
I think maybe HU I can mix it up more but probably right that I should be playing my big hands hard at 5NL multiway. Thanks all

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 03:49 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Hi all thanks for your replies and some interesting things to take into account so thanks.
I wasn't result orientated here, if I played the hand again and I would be getting my money in again. Only lose to 4 of a kind and if they have it good for them. Was looking more from the point of view of what would get me the most money over time. Checking and allowing them to bluff/semi bluff hands or charging for draws, lower sets etc and getting value. I think maybe HU I can mix it up more but probably right that I should be playing my big hands hard at 5NL multiway. Thanks all
Hi Mikey,

As always it is very much dependent upon your opponents, reads, board texture etc. I played a very similar hand, albeit with JJ where I hit top set OTF in m/w pot on dry board & opted to x/c OTF & x/r 'all in' OTT, which proved very profitable. (see link below)

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...lers-(CO)-(Btn)

BR

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com