Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder HauGrue

Old
Bankroll Builder HauGrue - Fri Sep 06, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hello, I would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
My name is Tomek. Thanks

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 10:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 05:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello HauGrue,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#4)
Thanks alot Flophitter,
I have managed to finish all the steps you asked for.
Passed the quiz, read/watched articles and movies.
Also playd really short session nl2 Play money 9handed,
This is the hand i managed to play, which was despite of it's strenght lil scarry to me and i was actually thinking about folding for a second lol

What are your thought about it? This is really wet board, where oponents can have hands that are not that far behind vs my set. I obviously tried to play it fast and get it in on the flop where i am still ahead without putting me to tough decisions on the turn or river. Turned out lucky for me when oponents were not holding too much in their holecards.

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 12:43 AM
(#5)
I have also a question regarding PSL, can i participate in League during Bankroll Builder promotion ?

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 05:53 AM
(#6)
Hi HauGrue,

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

And yes you play in the League while participating in this promo, it's other types of real money play that you need to avoid until you complete Bankroll Builder.

Cheers!

flophitter

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 11:02 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi HauGrue!

With 22 on the button, I can either raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (standard raise) or I can limp behind and try to hit a set. I'll do both with this hand and limp about 2/3 of the time.

I then get an abnormally large raise to 18 (standard raise would be to 12, 3BB+1BB for each limper). Now, I need to see if I have the correct situation to set mine. To do so, I need to have 15X the bet in both my stack and the opp's stack (270 chips). If there aren't this many chips in everyone's stack, then I won't be getting the correct odds to play the hand. Since everyone has 270 (villain 5 just barely has this much), I can call and try to set mine.

I flop bottom set on a wet board and get an abnormally small bet (players try to do this with draws) and a call of it. Bets and raise post flop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps, a standard sizing is 2/3 pot on a dry board or 3/4 on a wet board. Since the opps didn't bet this much, I need to raise by this amount (116 chips). I do not want to raise to less than this, because if I do so, the opps can be getting the correct odds to call and try to outdraw me. If I give them the right odds and they do end up outdrawing me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

I then get a min 3-bet and a min 4-bet. With a set here, if the opps have TT or QQ, they should have raised preflop and due to this, I most likely have the best hand. Calling this bet pot-commits me, as I will have over 1/3 of my remaining chips in the pot, so I'm going to SHOVE.

Luckily, none of the opps had a K, but by playing the hand this way, I do everything that I can to make the opp make a play where they expect to lose chips on average... which is all that I can do as a poker player.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 12:15 PM
(#8)
Thanks alot for comment on the hand I think i playd it quite correctly, I would never isolate there tho and maybe i am little behind with math. Gonna look into that soon

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 02:07 PM
(#9)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 03:22 PM
(#10)
1)

Hand I // I think there is too many hands he would call river bet that i am losing with. Do i miss any value by trying to control the pot to be able eventually to call his river bet if i put him on a range that contains bluffs?

Hand II // i got question regarding my turn 3bet, isnt it too high? or is just somewhat correct to bet this amount?
At this spot on the river i am close to 100% sure that he will bluff on this flush even tho it is quite likely he will call this big bet just for flushdraw which could be represented by his small lead on the turn. Am i correct or im missing some important factors?

2)
to put alot of pressure on opponents
to bluff villain off decent hands
for value

3) not complete yet, will take a look when i find some free time tonight

Last edited by HauGrue; Sat Sep 07, 2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 05:18 AM
(#11)
I passed Quiz for cash games, finished all of the tasks
I am waiting for next steps

PS.
Thank you very much PSO, I needed this kind of motivation, my game is improving very fast day after day

I have been able to raise my 1st 2$ from you up to 30$ Sitting at 44vpp after 3 few hours sessions.

Last edited by HauGrue; Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 10:34 AM
(#12)
up to 50

I am wondering what would someone more experienced say about plays like that, it is the big part of my range - bluffs in spots where oponent shows weakness.

I have noticed that many players tend to bet less further streets on wet boards when they are not having strong hands which is extremely exploitable.

I am very interested in learning more about agression. I lack knowledge in Squeezing, some poker Math and reading opponents style i think. where can i learn more about it?
Could anyone tell me what does pulverized/unpulverized range (if i spell it correctly ;/ ) means ?

Last edited by HauGrue; Sun Sep 08, 2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#13)
Hi HauGrue,

Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed we can move to the next step. And great to hear of your excellent progress so far!

Cheers!

flophitter

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 05:47 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi HauGrue!

Firstly, that's a very impressive graph. The redline (non-showdown winnings) is particularly stunning. Even before reading your text, I suspected that you must be doing a lot of bluffing. Generally speaking, this is NOT a good idea on full ring 2NL tables, because weak players tend to be calling stations, so your bluffs won't work often enough for them to be profitable. I wrote more about the redline on my Valuetown blog. Nevertheless, if you use your HUD and reads wisely, you can find good spots to make plays.
Now let's look at the hand...

86s is a little weak to play, but you have the button, so can utilise position to turn this into a profitable hand if the situation is right. The big blind also calls and the flop comes a monotone K87. You made a pair, but you're never ahead when the BB donks out. He usually has a king, or even a set or a flush. I would just fold here. There aren't many good turn cards for you, so you'll only be able to win by bluffing. Villain makes a smaller bet on the turn, and I generally treat this as a "scared bet". Villain could be worried you have a flush, so it seems he usually just has Kx. You could try bluff-raising here, but calling and folding are both reasonable options too. You called and there's an ace on the river. This is unlikely to have improved villain, because AK would usually have raised pre-flop. When villain bets so small (10c into 72c) I think you can get him off one pair by raising to about 60c, but it's always difficult to know the right size. Some villains will make crying calls too often, because they are incapable of folding a decent pair. Here, you got the right result, but in the long run I would be careful. When you make BIG bluffs, you need to be successful very often in order to make money. Loose/bad players will simply call too often for your bluffs to work.

Quote:
Could anyone tell me what does pulverized/unpulverized range (if i spell it correctly ;/ ) means ?
I'm guessing you mean "polarized", which means "one extreme or the other". In poker, a polarized bet represents a hand that is close to the nuts, or is total air. Your raise on the hand above is polarized. If you had a hand with showdown value (like one pair) you'd usually just call and show it down. Since you raised, you either have a monster (flush/set) and are raising for value, or you have nothing and are relying on fold equity.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 06:07 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Oh, I've just seen the hands in post #10. The above message is in reply to #12. I'll take a look at #10 now.

1. I think you played the 98s OK. I would sometimes check behind on the flop, as you have 2nd pair and it's hard to get called by worse, but protecting your hand from overcards is fine too. When called, villain usually has a queen, but could also have something like KJ or JT or other draws. I would generally just give up and try to get to showdown cheaply, as you did. If villain has you beat, you lose the minimum by checking back in position. It's too thin to bet for value on the river, as there aren't really any worse hands that will call.

2. Calling pre with 88 to go set-mining is fine. With top set, I would seriously consider donking out with a bet. In a multiway pot, you're likely to get action if you bet, but if you check the pre-flop raiser is unlikely to bet into so many opponents unless he has an overpair. You can't afford to give free cards away on a wet board, so with very strong hands multiway, leading out is best. After under-repping your hand on the flop, I would definitely lead the turn for value. The board is getting very wet. You could even be losing to a straight. As played, you went for the check-rase, and I think your sizing is fine. If villain has a flush draw, then you want him to make a mistaken call. If you raise too small, he's not making a mistake. On the river, one of the flush draws comes in. I wouldn't rely on villain betting here at all. He has position so will check behind with many hands that have showdown value. The play I recommend here is bet-fold. You can bet for value, but fold if you get raised. Villain will only raise the river if he has a flush. With worse hands (like 2 pairs) he will just call.
Overall, you played this hand too passively. With sets, you should be looking for max value, by betting. Getting tricky and going for check-raises, or checking to induce bluffs is fancy play syndrome. Just bet your hand, and think about slowing down if you get raised.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 06:30 PM
(#16)
Thanks alot Arty, thats really helpfull. those mistakes could cost me more in the long run, and already did some dmg to my bankroll, but happily i was able to recover from that and still move up in $$ gonna work on that..

I will look up this training you are talking about 100%, probably lots of fun and knowledge

Waiting for next steps

Old
Mon Sep 09, 2013, 05:20 AM
(#17)
Hello HauGrue,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com