Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

To steal or not to steal, facing a 3 bettor.

Old
To steal or not to steal, facing a 3 bettor. - Fri Sep 06, 2013, 11:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

Struggling to know what to do in the following types of situations when I am first to act, and I know it depends on many variables, but some general info e.g. against loose or tight villains, etc, would be helpful.

Hero is on BTN.
Villain is in one of the blinds.

Sometimes I will bet with weakish holdings A6o to steal the blind, and then sometimes I will bet when I have strong holdings such as AJs.

However, the blinds, and this doesn't always happen, will 3bet either because they think I am stealing with a lowish holding, or because they have a legitament strength - or so I think, because that is the first thing I think of doing when in the blinds, either raise or fold as you will be OOP on later streets.

Any ideas how you guys approach these situations. I guess having the 3bet stat in the blinds would be great to use, however, on zoom, I would no where near have enough stats on villains for this stat to be reliable - I don't think.

Do you think you would still be profitable in the long if I always fold to 3bets from villains in the blinds?

In fact I would intially think yes, as it could be quite a rare occurance.

Cheers,

Pullin

Last edited by pullin1988; Fri Sep 06, 2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 11:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd never always fold.. but what I will do (fold or 4-bet) will absolutely be 100% opp dependent, based on how they're playing.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. if you always fold, opps will pick up on this and 3-bet you with any 2 cards.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 11:51 AM
(#3)
Apologies,

I forgot to add, that I won't be folding JJ+, AK, etc Top tier hands in these situations.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I refer you back to my blog: The ABC of 2NL, part 9: I raised pre-flop and got 3-bet. Now what?

Although there are certainly some fairly decent players that will 3-bet light effectively with a polarized range in the blinds, you can usually give OOP 3-bets a lot of respect at 2NL/5NL. Your default play when your steals get 3-bet should be to fold, but take note of the special cases and exceptions I listed.
When you have a decent sample size of trustworthy stats on a player, you can get into reg wars with them and start 4-betting light, but I think it's unnecessary at the lowest stakes. If you open ATs on the button, and a TAG/nit makes a decent-sized 3-bet, you're better off just folding. The benefit of position usually won't make up for lack of initiative and villain's hand strength. (Even if his 3-bet range is polarized, with some smaller suited aces to go with the pairs and big aces, you don't have a ton of equity).

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#5)
Thanks arty, I will have a thorough re-read of all your articles. Cheers guys for the advice. Back to the grind.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com