Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL MTT, AKo, UTG

Old
NL MTT, AKo, UTG - Sun Sep 08, 2013, 10:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
I raised to 2BB preflop from early with one pre-flop caller. I had AKo with 20BB. I was raised all in by the Table chipleader 7500 who was on the CO. I called putting me all in.

Any thoughts?

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 12:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate section JWK24**

What type of tourney was this from? How many left? How many get ITM? What are the other stacks? How were the opps playing?

Different tourneys have different strategies, so we need to have this type of information in order to answer your question. What may be right for one situation will not necessarily be right for another.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Advice - Sun Sep 08, 2013, 12:52 PM
(#3)
Hi John JWK24 it was from a NL Hold'em PokerSchool Open Skill League game.

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 01:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ReggaePirate!

In this type of game, or any other.. I'm either going to make a standard raise (3BB+1BB for each limper early, then lower to 2.5 or 2.2 later in the tourney.. without the blinds being listed, I'll assume it's to 3BB+1BB for each limper). With one limper, I cannot raise to less than 4BB.

When someone shoves to put me all in, with this being a league game, I need to muck. I do not have a made hand and in these games, I only want to be all-in if I know that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. I do NOT want to take chances. I have one and only one goal in these and that is to last as long as possible and to not take any early exits. Lasting longer (even if it's just one placing) gets me more and more league points for the end of the month leaderboard... so due to this, I do not want to take a chance at all as the chips that I'd possibly gain will never outweigh the points for the leaderboard prizes at the end of the month.

AA or KK, I'll call.. any other card combination needs to be folded.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 09, 2013, 06:34 AM
(#5)
Hi John,

Thanks very much for that advice, I will apply it.

Mark

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com