Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KTs on Premier Skill League

Old
KTs on Premier Skill League - Tue Sep 10, 2013, 08:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
After this hand, a discussion happened between me and a villain, about me making the wrong decision and him doubting for my poker knowledge.
Although we can argue about a loose call preflop, that is not the point.
I want to hear your opinions on what our play should be on the flop.
It is 360 for us to call.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Tue Sep 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 10, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
If you assume some implied odds and ignoring ICM you are priced in for a call.

Old
Tue Sep 10, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GamblingProp!

This hand is a good example of why there's a strategy difference between league games and cash tourneys.

With KTs, I get a min-raise and a call in front of me. In a league game, this is a snap-fold preflop. It's early and I get a negative league point total for an early exit, so I cannot even come close to taking a chance. If this were a cash tourney, I'd be more than happy to make a call here and see the flop IN position, especially if I knew the CO and button could fold. However, in a league game, I cannot be taking any chances early.

If I saw the flop, which I would not, I flop a flush draw. I now get a bet of 360 and a call. Once again, with this being a league game, I cannot be taking chances with my chips due to the negative league points and need to fold. If this was much later in the tourney, after I get to 0 pts for an exit, then I can look at this more like a cash tourney.. but not before then.

If this were a cash tourney, however, I need to call 360 into a pot that will be 1830, 19.7%. I have 9 outs to my flush, which is worth 18% to the turn. I'm discounting the K's as outs, as one of the others could easily have one. Since my pot equity is higher than what my hand equity is, it's a marginal fold for a cash tourney, as calling is -1.7%EV. But.. with this being a league game, anything marginal, needs to be a snap fold.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 02:59 AM
(#4)
Yeah I agree on the fact that I probably shouldn't call preflop.
But as played, the call on the flop wasn't an option for me, since I probably wouldn't had enough implied odds to make it profitable.
So I decided to take the high variance path and I shoved:

My reasoning was:
1.I played the same way a set in a previous tournament.
2.I thought I had enough fold equity to make at least one of them fold.
3.And I couldn't be much behind of anything, so given the pot size and fold equity, it would be a +EV shove.

What do you guys think, too spewy?

Last edited by GamblingProp; Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 03:06 AM..

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 04:21 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
Yeah I agree on the fact that I probably shouldn't call preflop.
But as played, the call on the flop wasn't an option for me, since I probably wouldn't had enough implied odds to make it profitable.
So I decided to take the high variance path and I shoved:

My reasoning was:
1.I played the same way a set in a previous tournament.
2.I thought I had enough fold equity to make at least one of them fold.
3.And I couldn't be much behind of anything, so given the pot size and fold equity, it would be a +EV shove.

What do you guys think, too spewy?
I tried to play PL as nit , but never got a chance to be in top 10 at the end of month . I played it waiting for QQ+ but even when I got them they where crushed at least 1 time out of 3 and when I won with them I was too short to make good result. JWK is right , but it's up to you how to play them .

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 04:29 AM
(#6)
True Shichi, you can't really win much if you play nitty.
But I don't want to turn this into a Premier League tips thread.
I just think I might misplayed the hand, and I want an opinion on just that.
Losing 10 points or winning 10 won't make a huge difference anyways.

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GamblingProp!

Shoving in a league game without the best hand after all 5 are on the board or without a premium made hand should NEVER be an option... the chips gained will never be greater than the leaderboard points that can be lost for losing the hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
(#8)
I agree with John, Open or Premier League, Pre flop is a fold and post flop is also a fold

GL

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#9)
Thanks guys.
I guess I should nit up more!

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2013
On the other hand, villain is making a mistake in berating you for playing sub-optimally.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com