Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Negative attitude, TILT, overplay? *sigh* Need some help with that

Old
Negative attitude, TILT, overplay? *sigh* Need some help with that - Tue Sep 10, 2013, 03:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
First of all, apologies for that block text below, I just described what I felt and what happend. Thanks for an attention. BTW it would nice that topic wasn't moved to 'hand analysis', problem lies much deeper than hand analysis.

Hiho. Well what I need to begin with.. I think I need, well, I need help, some advice on few subjects, maybe one, who knows. I need some advice how to perform, how to play and don't get bored, how to get rid of negative thoughts, how to stay unaffected by emotions and such things. I don't know if this will get things simpler but I'm kind of a guy with feelings, u now, sensitive and such.. Umm, right.. My patience is at great shape, I can keep going or stand for my cause very long, u know how it goes with patience. But problem emerge when it comes to poker, I cant understand that and this makes me feel and play badly. My overall bankroll building is negative, there always occur hands when I get lost half or even bigger part of my stack, and in that situation - real money account, but leave those in the past, I want to talk bout today's day. I've played micro for nearly 7h at two sessions, it was the best time according to the past ones cuz of my attitude, neither positive, neither negative, which is great. But easiness must have ended, I've played AKo without PFR cuz of too-much-passive deals, I wanted to squeeze them with semi-bluffs and overall loose aggressive game play. Important is that it happened only in that AKo case, earlier I played patiently and was earning, I thought that I'll finally build my bankroll pretty solid, but as I said something get f****d up in me. But let's start in the beginning of a day. Began with fresh founds, kept -0,13$ for 25 hands, 9 hands with positive value and again, 10 hands below the line, not much but still below, ~60 hands above at stable level of plus 20c, but here comes 1st fall, got pocket sixes, 3rd six at flop, neat, but enemy shoved at the turn and I couldn't call, there is a barrier at some points of my hands I cannot across, here is that replay:

He was pretty tight and and it shocked me when he shoved almost all in, I rushed into my mind what to do, calculating what he can have, cold call at the flop, straight, and folded. That was fine, it didn't injured my sanity that much. Okay, keep going, another 60 hands and managed to get back 1/3 of earlier loss but then QJs popped into my hand, played it so poor that I don't know what, well, here it is:

That guy seemed to play poker casually, couldn't assigned him into any game style. Nice flop for me for paired Jack and for little straight/flush draw. Everything ended that I could bluff for a straight but as I mentioned earlier I had barrier to went all-in and screwed last bet - I was thinking how high it must be but I couldn't shove all-in.. He would fold, I think for a chance of 70% cuz of that much aggressive turn. I didn't wanted to end my bankroll building career. I see that I need to build it very slowly by small but determined actions..

Next ~140 hands and I got back to half the QJs loss, break to pay a bill, kay, I'm back, next session starts, few more hands and managed to get back when I was at the beginning and kept around zero profit for 70 hands. Mighty 65o in hand and I'm going into the game, what the heck.. call, rise, bet, muck.. Here it is:

Enemy played LAG pretty well, I must say that and it was annoying that he was in front of me and emotions came into the playground or sth as u can see at the replay. 20 hands and I'm back almost half the way up the loss, but that LAG still sits on the table and AKo in my hand, lost with triple threes of other guy, emotions For The Win. Here is the replay:

There is not so much to tell bout him, played tag not that good, too tight, I think. What bout those PFR of AKo? As I said in the beginning of the topic, passiveness of the table forced me to squeeze at every opportunity, this time I was squeezed. After that I played 30 hands and decide to stop, it went wrong, whole day went wrong.

I've blocked my PS acc for 24h, just saying. So, as we are at this point I'm asking for some help how to, mainly, maintain calmness and good self-confidence at the tables. I'm calm but there come a moment or two when it flies away. Do I need to take breaks often or play shorter session? I'm open for question and any words, positive and negative. Thanks and cheers!

PS. Sorry again for such an essay

Old
Tue Sep 10, 2013, 07:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xs3roN View Post
First of all, apologies for that block text below, I just described what I felt and what happend. Thanks for an attention. BTW it would nice that topic wasn't moved to 'hand analysis', problem lies much deeper than hand analysis.

Hiho. Well what I need to begin with.. I think I need, well, I need help, some advice on few subjects, maybe one, who knows. I need some advice how to perform, how to play and don't get bored,

Srt some goals for the rest of the year good examples can be found in the challenges thread.

how to get rid of negative thoughts, how to stay unaffected by emotions and such things.

This is harder but to start with think about things like Did i play correctly rather than did I win.

I don't know if this will get things simpler but I'm kind of a guy with feelings, u now, sensitive and such.. Umm, right.. My patience is at great shape, I can keep going or stand for my cause very long, u know how it goes with patience. But problem emerge when it comes to poker, I cant understand that and this makes me feel and play badly. My overall bankroll building is negative, there always occur hands when I get lost half or even bigger part of my stack, and in that situation - real money account, but leave those in the past, I want to talk bout today's day. I've played micro for nearly 7h at two sessions, it was the best time according to the past ones cuz of my attitude, neither positive, neither negative, which is great. But easiness must have ended, I've played AKo without PFR cuz of too-much-passive deals, I wanted to squeeze them with semi-bluffs and overall loose aggressive game play. Important is that it happened only in that AKo case, earlier I played patiently and was earning, I thought that I'll finally build my bankroll pretty solid, but as I said something get f****d up in me. But let's start in the beginning of a day. Began with fresh founds, kept -0,13$ for 25 hands, 9 hands with positive value and again, 10 hands below the line, not much but still below, ~60 hands above at stable level of plus 20c, but here comes 1st fall, got pocket sixes, 3rd six at flop, neat, but enemy shoved at the turn and I couldn't call, there is a barrier at some points of my hands I cannot across, here is that replay:

He was pretty tight and and it shocked me when he shoved almost all in, I rushed into my mind what to do, calculating what he can have, cold call at the flop, straight, and folded. That was fine, it didn't injured my sanity that much. Okay, keep going, another 60 hands and managed to get back 1/3 of earlier loss but then QJs popped into my hand, played it so poor that I don't know what, well, here it is:

That guy seemed to play poker casually, couldn't assigned him into any game style. Nice flop for me for paired Jack and for little straight/flush draw. Everything ended that I could bluff for a straight but as I mentioned earlier I had barrier to went all-in and screwed last bet - I was thinking how high it must be but I couldn't shove all-in.. He would fold, I think for a chance of 70% cuz of that much aggressive turn. I didn't wanted to end my bankroll building career. I see that I need to build it very slowly by small but determined actions..

Next ~140 hands and I got back to half the QJs loss, break to pay a bill, kay, I'm back, next session starts, few more hands and managed to get back when I was at the beginning and kept around zero profit for 70 hands. Mighty 65o in hand and I'm going into the game, what the heck.. call, rise, bet, muck.. Here it is:

Enemy played LAG pretty well, I must say that and it was annoying that he was in front of me and emotions came into the playground or sth as u can see at the replay. 20 hands and I'm back almost half the way up the loss, but that LAG still sits on the table and AKo in my hand, lost with triple threes of other guy, emotions For The Win. Here is the replay:

There is not so much to tell bout him, played tag not that good, too tight, I think. What bout those PFR of AKo? As I said in the beginning of the topic, passiveness of the table forced me to squeeze at every opportunity, this time I was squeezed. After that I played 30 hands and decide to stop, it went wrong, whole day went wrong.

I've blocked my PS acc for 24h, just saying. So, as we are at this point I'm asking for some help how to, mainly, maintain calmness and good self-confidence at the tables. I'm calm but there come a moment or two when it flies away. Do I need to take breaks often or play shorter session? I'm open for question and any words, positive and negative. Thanks and cheers!

PS. Sorry again for such an essay
Have you been to some of the trainings offered here?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#3)
So, I feel pretty well now, watched few vids here, read many articles, blogs and posts and I think that it helped me a lot that I needed to make a blog post

What bout goals, that thread goals was what I needed, simple yet satisfyin. What bout mine goals? Im sure that I want to get VIP Stellar 10$ by end of the year. It seems that 750 is soo much but I need that kind goal

Another one I have made is for 'play money' account, I want to build it at free time without that amount of fear of gettin broke. I've managed to build my bankroll on other poker game by 5 million if I remember correctly and played Sit'n'Go and knockouts most of the time, by slow and steady game I had build virtual acc in a few months, but after that I've got a break for many months till august of '13, I came to PS.

Okay, enough of talk Here is that blog note I've mentioned earlier. Block account ends in an hour or two but its almost 7 pm here (1 am ET) so I think I wont spent my evening with poker, maybe PSO freeroll at the 11pm :P

Oh one more goal! I want to pass all courses! Hell yea, time to read few more articles in a free time to be capable of that goal

Thanks & Cheers!

Oh and I would forgot.. If u ~Grade b meant live trainings, I need to say that I havent had a time to sit for one or two, but I know where they are and how they work I'll pay more attention to them once I'll get more time and will fit for schedule ofc.

Last edited by Xs3roN; Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Dump the play money thing right away. Your time will be much better spent grinding the Astronomer freerolls and then the Weekly Round 2's with tickets won in Astronomers. Also play the Open Skill League here and if you deposited and are eligible then play the 100K Depositor freerolls as much as you can for the time period wherein you are eligible for them (30 days I think?). Just DO NOT pay money into them for re-buys and ad-ons,spending money in a freeroll is hugely -EV.

Plenty of free money to be won on this site that you'll be better trying to get some of than wasting your non-cash play time on play money. The play chips that you have already accumulated can be sold for a small amount of money,look into that. When you're starting out and have a short bankroll every little but helps. You can just get a much higher potential reward for your time by grinding the real money freeroll path than you can by grinding play money.

The TILT thing...look,no one is capable of removing emotions from their game. NO ONE. It's the players who can recognize and control those emotions who TILT,in all it's manifestations (beware of "Joy" TILT...it's the sneakiest and many times the most damaging...the nanosecond a thought like "I've got this game licked" or "I'm the cat's ass" starts rattling around in your head---you're dangerously close to being "Joy" TILT'S next victim...)affects the least. When you feel it coming and feelings of anger or fatalism start to rise up do whatever it takes to get out of your own head. Unless it's drinking or "self-medicating". Don't do these things in anything past the strictest moderation and play. Effsea and Ed will now call me a horses' ass and say to disregard this piece of advice ,but I'm adamant on this.

Make having FUN your first goal in poker. Advancement,making money...whatever...they can all be by products of making the game fun first. Because if it's fun for you then putting in the work...studying,self-examination,HONEST self-critique,playing and taking your lumps as you go through the growing pains of learning and implementing new and needed strategies and concepts...ALL of this,if it's FUN,will keep you dedicated to keeping nose to grindstone and putting the work in. Remember,if you have FUN then it won't feel like WORK.

And anyone who tells you that you can become anything even approximating a consistently winning player in poker without putting in a boatload of work is someone trying to sell you a bill of goods.

Poker is NOT easy. It's deceptive in this way because the rules are easy to learn,you can and most likely will get some taste of some success very early on in your journey and like the most addictive drug ever you'll keep chasing that taste over and over again. This is a GOOD thing because it keeps tons of players coming back and the brutal truth is that the vast majority of these players will not put the work in to get better in any appreciable way. If you are willing to do so,then you'll separate yourself from these players and they'll be your main source of success and income in poker.

It's a hard game,but as with anything that is hard the rewards,when they come (and if you put the work in they WILL come,remember it's not always manifested in a "win",many of your best successes in poker will be those "Eureka" moments when something dawns on you,you get it and realize that from that moment on you'll have a new tool in your toolbox or conversely one less leak in your vulnerabilities---either of these leads to being a better player after said moment comes...)the taste of that success will be all the sweeter.

If this game were easy everyone would be successful at it. The stark reality is that for tournament play and multi-table SNG play you'll lose much more often than you win. Cash table play is about grinding out incremental advancement over and over and over again whilst simultaneously guarding your ass from devastating setbacks. DO NOT get caught up in short term variance bumps,good or bad, and focus instead on the long game. Make sure you're properly bank-rolled for what you're playing,if not play what you are properly bankrolled for.As a starting player with a more exposed bankroll you should be even more conservative than most advice submissions on bankroll parameters will tell you.

Remember when it comes to your bankroll right now your prime responsibility is to HAVE ONE. You keep your bankroll alive then you're still in the game,still learning,still improving. You bust it then it stops. Naturally if you can and are willing to reload this becomes less important,but if you're really interested in improving and growing as a player,and not so much in being a recreational one only,then it's not the worst idea to treat the bankroll you have now as if it were the only bankroll that you'll ever have. For one thing this can lead you to resisting an all to common TILT move that many others make (and I and many other players love them for it)...the "Screw it,I'm putting it all in here and if I bust I'll just reload (for the 36th time...).

Serial reloaders are what makes the money wheel go round,after all.

Good luck to you and better decisions.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed Sep 11, 2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old
Thu Sep 12, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#5)
Much appreciate those words ~Moxie Pip! Big thanks! Few words: joy tilt doesnt affect me at all. Ofc. when I win by luck it makes me 'wohoo' but hey, another hand is dealt and I need to focus, so it goes like this for me. Much worse is negative attitude tilt, but I've already done things toward that. Again, thanks ~Moxie Pip.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com