Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

To play for stacks or to not play for stacks

Old
To play for stacks or to not play for stacks - Wed Sep 11, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi, guys.

I'm struggling to find wich hands i can play for stacks pre-flop accordingly to the blinds i have. Can someone give me a general rule (i know it can be very specifique) so i can base my decisions? What hands are not a mistake to stack off when i have:

75-50 BBs
50-30 BBs
20-10 BBs

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi MrFlopes!

For an initial shove, calling a bet, 3-bet... they will all be different.

In a std tourney, I'm not open-shoving unless I'm at 10BB or under. For a turbo, I'll shove at 15-18BB.

Shoving anything more just does one thing to me.. get me value-owned, which means that all worse hands will fold and only better hands will call me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#3)
JWK24, i forgot to mention it. It's for when you have to call a 3bet for all of your stack. I struggle in these spots.

Btw: i open-shove in turbos when i'm at 10BB or under. I follow this rule from Grayson 'Spacegravy' Physioc videos here on PokerSchool. Is this a mistake or style-dependent?

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
for calling a 3-bet, it's basically villain dependent.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm inclined to agree with JWK and say this is largely villain-dependent, but I also consider positions (it helps to narrow a villain's range) and - in tourneys - the structure. (In turbos, my stack off range is wider, and I'll also be more aggressive as the bubble approaches).

That being said, I'd rarely get all in pre-flop with worse than KK if the effective stack is over 30bb. (I 4-bet jammed QQ for 27bb the other day, and that felt like too much, even though I got it in good).
For 20bb, I might 3-bet jam JJ+/AK. For 15bb, it's more like 99+/AJs+/AQ+, but bet-size tells and stats/notes on villains have a significant effect on my decision.
For 10bb, I'll jam over a minraise with a much wider range, especially if I'm in the blinds facing an "obvious" steal.

If I raised and got shoved on, then I have a tight calling range. Villains at the $1.50 level generally don't play the push-fold game very effectively (by which I mean they don't shove light anywhere near often enough). If they ship 15bb over a raise, they usually have a big hand, so hands like AJ or 88 are usually going into the muck. If the shove is smaller, then you're usually priced in to call with anything that has decent equity.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#6)
Whoaa, i'm playing for stacks much to wider, then. Gonna try that tight approach and see if i get good results.

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
The crucial thing to recognise is that you can open-shove quite wide, but if someone has already entered the pot, or they re-raise you, your range for calling should be tightened up significantly.

Shoving wide is +EV. Calling shoves is not.

These concepts will doubtless pop up in Chewme's training starting in 5 minutes.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
but I also consider positions (it helps to narrow a villain's range)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
for calling a 3-bet, it's basically villain dependent.
These are the critical ones for me, versus looser villain happily getting AK in with 50bb when we are both late position or blinds when I have AK. Tight villain opens under the gun and I am not looking to get QQ in with 50bb as likely crushed when it happens.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com