Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder

Old
bankroll builder - Fri Sep 13, 2013, 08:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Thnaks!

Old
Fri Sep 13, 2013, 11:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 07:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
AJ offsuit - Sat Sep 14, 2013, 08:57 AM
(#4)
I've passed the basic course

Here is the hand would be happy if someone could analyze:

I always wonder, when getting a strong hand, but not a very strong one (like the one here), whats the right step when someone raises with a very large amount, I know there are few hands the might be better than mine, and even the best are only 2:1 stronger on odds.

Here I decided to raise the already large bet, but I'm really wondering what would have been the best play (regardless of the fact that in this case we came out to be on the same odds to win, and I got a good flop)

Thanks!

Last edited by 4La57oR; Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: typos

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 09:01 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 07:10 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi 4La57oR! I'll analyse the hand in post #4.

Firstly, this is a 6-max table, where the play is likely to be loose and aggressive. The PSO beginner courses are designed for full ring tables, where a disciplined and patient style is profitable, so please sit on 9-handed tables for the remainder of this promotion.
Secondly, it looks like you posted your big blind out of turn. Don't do this when you get on the real money tables. Since you'll be dealt an unplayable hand more than 80% of the time, you'll be throwing away 2c four times out of five. This money will add up over time and drain your bankroll. When you first join a table, click the "Wait until big blind before posting" option. There are several useful settings in the software for things like this, and I've listed them in my blog.
Now to look at the hand. AJ is strong enough to open raise, and a standard open is 3bb. When there is already a limper, then add an extra bb to your size. 4bb or 80 chips would be perfect here. A minraise gives too good a price for speculative hands to call, and that could lead to a multiway pot, which is bad news for a hand like AJ.
As played, player 4, raises to 560, which is a huge overbet, committing them to the pot, and the player behind them shoves all in. Another player calls all in. This action is completely crazy, and looks like random gambling to me. If you had been at the table for a while, you might have reads on these players, so could estimate the likelihood of being ahead, but against unknowns this is a clear fold. What hands is AJ beating? It's losing to all pocket pairs and better aces. With three players already putting a lot of chips in the pot, it's likely you're behind, as hands like TT+ and AK will probably be in play, and you don't have the right price to call.
I definitely like folding here. Reshoving would be quite bad, but the worst possible option is calling like you did. Calling commits half your stack to the pot, meaning the pot on the flop will be much larger than your remaining stack. You'd have to get the rest of your chips in if you had any piece of the board, or even just two overcards, because the pot odds will be too good to refuse. In fact, committing one third of your chips to the pot makes you committed, so if you're ever faced with this quandary, you should go all in or fold pre-flop. As played you called and got one of the best flops for your hand. You made top pair. With 3775 chips in the middle, and only 860 in your stack, the best play is to go all in. If villain had some kind of draw, you cannot price him out of chasing it, because of yourrealtively short stack, but don't make a tiny bet into a huge pot. Get maximum value by shipping all in. Your small bet is obviously called, so you should definitely get the rest in on the turn. Surprisingly villain folds this time, even though you bet so small. He must have had no pair or draw, unless he managed to get away from an underpair like 66.
The all in players flip over their cards and you're way ahead. The all in shove with 77 was pretty crazy, but the call with 95s is just terrible. You flopped the best hand and held on, but I don't think you should have been seeing the flop in the first place. "Trouble hands" like AJ work best in small pots against one opponent, not huge pots against many players. Be more careful when you get on the real money tables. If you see pre-flop action similar to what occurred here, get out of the way with AJ, because you'll be crushed by big pairs and better aces.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Sep 14, 2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old
Sun Sep 15, 2013, 08:33 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4La57oR View Post
I've passed the basic course
[B]

Thanks!
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 16, 2013, 11:01 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Hi 4La57oR! I'll analyse the hand in post #4.

Firstly, this is a 6-max table, where the play is likely to be loose and aggressive. The PSO beginner courses are designed for full ring tables, where a disciplined and patient style is profitable, so please sit on 9-handed tables for the remainder of this promotion.
Secondly, it looks like you posted your big blind out of turn. Don't do this when you get on the real money tables. Since you'll be dealt an unplayable hand more than 80% of the time, you'll be throwing away 2c four times out of five. This money will add up over time and drain your bankroll. When you first join a table, click the "Wait until big blind before posting" option. There are several useful settings in the software for things like this, and I've listed them in my blog.
Now to look at the hand. AJ is strong enough to open raise, and a standard open is 3bb. When there is already a limper, then add an extra bb to your size. 4bb or 80 chips would be perfect here. A minraise gives too good a price for speculative hands to call, and that could lead to a multiway pot, which is bad news for a hand like AJ.
As played, player 4, raises to 560, which is a huge overbet, committing them to the pot, and the player behind them shoves all in. Another player calls all in. This action is completely crazy, and looks like random gambling to me. If you had been at the table for a while, you might have reads on these players, so could estimate the likelihood of being ahead, but against unknowns this is a clear fold. What hands is AJ beating? It's losing to all pocket pairs and better aces. With three players already putting a lot of chips in the pot, it's likely you're behind, as hands like TT+ and AK will probably be in play, and you don't have the right price to call.
I definitely like folding here. Reshoving would be quite bad, but the worst possible option is calling like you did. Calling commits half your stack to the pot, meaning the pot on the flop will be much larger than your remaining stack. You'd have to get the rest of your chips in if you had any piece of the board, or even just two overcards, because the pot odds will be too good to refuse. In fact, committing one third of your chips to the pot makes you committed, so if you're ever faced with this quandary, you should go all in or fold pre-flop. As played you called and got one of the best flops for your hand. You made top pair. With 3775 chips in the middle, and only 860 in your stack, the best play is to go all in. If villain had some kind of draw, you cannot price him out of chasing it, because of yourrealtively short stack, but don't make a tiny bet into a huge pot. Get maximum value by shipping all in. Your small bet is obviously called, so you should definitely get the rest in on the turn. Surprisingly villain folds this time, even though you bet so small. He must have had no pair or draw, unless he managed to get away from an underpair like 66.
The all in players flip over their cards and you're way ahead. The all in shove with 77 was pretty crazy, but the call with 95s is just terrible. You flopped the best hand and held on, but I don't think you should have been seeing the flop in the first place. "Trouble hands" like AJ work best in small pots against one opponent, not huge pots against many players. Be more careful when you get on the real money tables. If you see pre-flop action similar to what occurred here, get out of the way with AJ, because you'll be crushed by big pairs and better aces.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty
thanks very much! this analysis really helped!

Old
AK missed flop - Sat Sep 21, 2013, 11:59 PM
(#9)

I had a big trouble with this hand, after the flop I couldn't let go, and assumed villain_4 was bluffing, as this flop needed a mediocre hand in order to hit, and he played pretty tight 'till then... what would have been better play here?

Thank you very much!

Old
Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:03 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Brilliant!
1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!
3 reasons to make big bets:
1. Protect against draws
2. Make large pots and gain value from very strong or monster hands
3. Put pressure on other players

Also, I've completed the quiz, that makes for all three...

Thanks again!

Old
Sun Sep 22, 2013, 06:34 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi 4La57oR,

Given the board texture, I think there will be more cards that would improve our villains perceived range once they donk bet the flop and less cards that can improve us, so calling the bet is less attractive. Here we still don't have a hand; we have Ace high and with the action that we saw infront of us and the betsizing it looks to me that villain is betting for value here, I think we should be able to fold to his donk bet and give up our hand with little to no room to improve on later streets.

Old
Sun Sep 22, 2013, 08:39 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Also, I've completed the quiz, that makes for all three...
Thanks again!
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
I've hit the target - Thu Oct 03, 2013, 01:21 PM
(#13)
currently I have 10.19 vpps

thanks!

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 06:23 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
currently I have 10.19 vpps

thanks!
Hello,

'Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus'+

Remember it's 10 VPPs earned AFTER you got your last buy-in, not 10 VPPs total (any VPPS earned before you got your last buy-in do not count)

If you have earned 10 VPPs AFTER you got your 2nd bonus then your 3rd bonus should be credited to you automatically within 24 hours.

Let me know when you get it and I'll advise on the next step.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 07, 2013, 07:00 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you've got your 3rd bonus!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

Also, if you make a deposit at this stage we will also award you with your final bonus.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs or if you make a deposit.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com