Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

I took down tonight's Premier League tourney

Old
I took down tonight's Premier League tourney - Sat Sep 14, 2013, 01:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
I've been running really badly in most "real money buy-in" games, but I'm still doing great in freerolls. The good run continued in tonight's Premier League, in which I think I must have been at about 400% of EV in called all in situations, as I only lost one race in the entire tourney.

It all started with some non-standard plays. It's not often I make a double-float with complete garbage (J9 high), but when a villain minbets 2 streets on a wet board, I think I have a bunch of "bluffing outs". Repping a flush seemed like the obvious play on this river.

I was somewhat bored of the game when I picked up 44, facing a raise from a LAG. My instinct told me folding was the obvious play, even though I only had 9bb, because villain would surely call with his entire range due to pot odds, and 44 is flipping or crushed. Once another villain reshoved, I think the first raiser can make a profitable call with ATC. He actually had much better than that. 44>QQ>JJ and I suddenly had a decent stack, despite making a play with a negative expectation.

Feeling confident - perhaps to the point of complacency - I made one of the weirdest plays ever. Another double float, but this time with 3 high on a super-scary board. My thinking was that villain would never limp the SB if he had an ace in his hand. The aejones theorem ("No one ever has anything") was also bouncing around my head, as this was a BvB hand. The small turn bet confirmed villain's weakness, and the river queen seemed like the perfect card to bet when he checked. Double-floating with the nut low ftw!

I kind of cruised to the final table by shoving almost every time I was in late position. Villains in the Prem fold too often, so I was a push-botting machine.
Three-handed was tough, as both players seemed fairly good, but they wrongly gave my open-shoves too much credit. I lost a huge pot as chip leader with AK<88<KQ, but battled my way back. I got heads up with a LAGtastic Mexican that had made some questionable plays of his own earlier on, but he was tough to beat heads up, as aggression is crucial. After crippling him fairly quickly, he bounced back when I made a loose call of a shove, but then let him steal a few blinds while I waited for a hand. Finally, I snap-called with AT and had his A7s dominated. The flop brought a sick sweat, but the best hand held.

The prizemoney might seem negligible (especially given the 4 hours of play) but the sense of satisfaction is huge for me, because playing the league has been akin to torture for the past few months. It's nice that the runbad has come to an end in such fine style!

This win has given me renewed confidence to play tournaments. I'll be putting up another staking thread in a couple of days, so look out for that and grab a piece of the action while I'm running hot.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 02:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Congrats Arty!
Just don't win the whole premier league, since I am planning to.

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 02:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
nice one Arty!

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 03:15 AM
(#4)
Great result, lack of confidence can be a big issue and with the variance of mtt's this is magnified.

Don't forget "I've been running really badly" has no actual relevance on games you have yet to play apart from the psychological aspect.

Ship some more

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 04:17 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
N1 Arty, congratulations!

I found your color codes rather interesting. Firstly, it is great to see you do take notes on everyone. Secondly, I am surprized there were so many different player types at the ft. Either that or your color codes are 10x more detailed than mine

glgl

Roland GTX

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 04:34 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2013
n1 arty way to go ...

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 04:57 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2011
Congratulations on that, GL in your games

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 05:10 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
Congrats Arty

Take down the PSL this month.

Good Luck in your grind.

PH

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 06:20 AM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Congrats sir

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:36 AM
(#10)
Since: May 2011
Fantastic result Arty

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Keep it up!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 01:05 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
Nice one!
And definitely this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJez View Post
Great result, lack of confidence can be a big issue and with the variance of mtt's this is magnified.

Don't forget "I've been running really badly" has no actual relevance on games you have yet to play apart from the psychological aspect.

Ship some more

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 01:38 PM
(#13)
Since: Apr 2011
Congrats Arty

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 01:50 PM
(#14)
Since: Apr 2013
Well done.

keep up the good work

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 03:42 PM
(#15)
Since: Mar 2011
wp ! dont play league heard you get points so hope you get lots and move up and win more m8

Old
Sun Sep 15, 2013, 04:48 AM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
nice one congrats arty!

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 15, 2013, 05:48 AM
(#17)
Since: Aug 2010
Congrats man, makes me hungry to get back into the running after a poor start, BUT CONGRATS!
You deserve it.

Old
Tue Sep 17, 2013, 01:53 PM
(#18)
Since: Jul 2013
BronzeStar
Congrats Arty, keep it up!

Old
Tue Sep 17, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
Either that or your color codes are 10x more detailed than mine
I have way too many colour codes. I think it's partly due to a form of OCD (I'm obsessed with coding people within a few hands, even if it's just to indicate "seems like a reg") but maybe also due to my artistic background. I love pretty colours!

I'm not going for the big money in the league (I'll leave that to GamblingProp!). Since I didn't get 150 VPPs last month, I wouldn't be eligible for top prizes, so I only planned to play about half a dozen Premier tourneys in September, with the aim being to score the 1540 points or so that guarantees I'll still be in the league next month. I have 1630 pts at the mo, so just need to avoid early exits in the next couple of tourneys.

In the meantime, I'll be playing some multi-table SnGs in a new staking offer, to be posted in the next couple of hours.

Thanks a lot for the support!

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com