Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder promotion

Old
bankroll builder promotion - Sat Sep 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi There

I’m new to this site and am interested in taking part in the bankroll builder promotion

Thanks

Old
Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 15, 2013, 12:17 AM
(#3)
Hi Michae2005,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:07 AM
(#4)
Thank you

I am currently going through the basic lesions and playing the league Freerolls. I have started to play some play money games as you suggested and fine it very difficult. What I have found is that players are calling almost any bet pre flop regardless what hand they have and in most cases I’m not getting beaten until the river. Here is an example any advice is appreciated.

Old
Sun Sep 15, 2013, 09:06 AM
(#5)
I have now passed the Poker Basic course

Last edited by Michae2005; Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old
Tue Sep 17, 2013, 04:14 AM
(#6)
I have completed all 3 steps

Old
Tue Sep 17, 2013, 12:33 PM
(#7)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 18, 2013, 02:25 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michae2005 View Post
Thank you

I am currently going through the basic lesions and playing the league Freerolls. I have started to play some play money games as you suggested and fine it very difficult. What I have found is that players are calling almost any bet pre flop regardless what hand they have and in most cases I’m not getting beaten until the river. Here is an example any advice is appreciated.

Hi Michae2005

You are correct about play money tables. Many players call too often. This actually does two good things for us. Firstly, it teaches patience. Stick to only playing good starting hands and good situations. For, example don't invest too much preflop with speculative hands such as suited connectors or small pairs. And don't limp in just because everyone else did.

Secondly, we can make a winning strategy exactly because players call too much. Here are three rules that should help you:
1. Don't bluff! Bluffing only works if the villain(s) will fold. At play money and 2NL, they tend not to.
2. Don't pay off your opponent! If it looks like your opponent could have a straight or flush don't invest too much in the hand. They probably have it. Fold and wait for a better spot.
3. Value bet, value bet, value bet! When we do make a strong hand such as a set or better, value bet as often as possible. You will get paid off by all of these opponents who never fold.

You will still get unlucky often enough, but this strategy does work. Over time luck balances out and if you are getting it in good, you will be profitable. The trick is to be patient.

Let's look at your hand now. You have 88 in early position. This is probably not strong enough to raise as you did. It is a tough hand to play postflop since you can normally expect overcards on the flop, and raising will not get many players to fold. It is better to play it speculatively. This means we want to see the flop as cheaply as possible. If we flop a set great! We can value bet. All the times we don't flop a set, we need to be careful and usually fold to heavy action.

Here you get an interesting flop. You have an overpair. You also have an open ended straight draw. However, other players may already have a straight. Moreover, you will not have the nut straight even if you fill yours. Hands such as 89 are beating you. If you get an 8 on a later street, that gives you a set, but again it may also make a straight for another player. As for your pair, it might be good. However many overcards on the turn and river can ruin our hand. In other words, this might be a good spot, but it is not great.

Here I would prefer to just call the 2c bet on the flop rather than moving all in. This keeps the pot under control allowing us to see the turn cheaply. We have many ways of improving our hand, but we don't have a strong hand yet.

Don't let all the calling stations frustrate you. Be patient. When you have a strong made hand (sets or better) you will probably be raking in a big pot

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Sep 18, 2013, 11:34 AM
(#9)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#10)
Hi

I have now completed and passed Cash Game course.

1. To put pressure on your opponents
2. To protect the hand on a wet board
3. To bluff

Here is a hand from tonight. My question is did I get the bet size right?

Thanks
Michael

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
(#11)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 02:36 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Hi

I have now completed and passed Cash Game course.

1. To put pressure on your opponents
2. To protect the hand on a wet board
3. To bluff

Here is a hand from tonight. My question is did I get the bet size right?

Thanks
Michael
Hi Michae2005!

Calling preflop is fine here with JJ. You flop a set which is great. Now the question becomes how to get the most value out of the hand. First, let's look at the board. J65 rainbow; You have top set. There are no flush draws. There may be straight draws, but 56 are pretty low so they are a bit less likely to fit in the villains' ranges. In other words this is a pretty safe flop for you, but unlikely to have helped your opponents. Moreover, you are out of position and first to act on the flop.

Normally at 2NL leading out with a bet with your strong hands as you did here is the best approach. Betting builds the pot gaining us value and protects our hand from any draws. I would typically bet 50% of the pot on a dry board like this. So, your bet could have been 7c or 8c. Anyone willing to pay 6c will probably pay 8c here. You played the hand fine.

However, in this spot, your lead is pretty safe at the moment with top set. So, you might win more money be check-calling or check-raising the flop. If we assume this flop didn't help either opponent, there is a good chance they will fold to a bet by you. It may have been better to check and hope that one of the opponents bets. In particular, the original raiser will often c-bet even when they miss the flop. This will win you an extra bet from the opponent. Note: only use this type of line when you have a very strong hand such as flopping the nut flush or nut straight. On boards that are connected, suited or high cards, leading out with a bet is usually the best choice both for gaining value and protecting your hand.

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 04:49 AM
(#13)
Funny you say that I should have properly go to 8c as that is what I wanted to bet but when I pressed the ½ button it bet 6c for me! Your second point is interesting too, I had considered playing tricky and checking but decided not to use this tactic at the moment as I’m concentrating on bet sizing and pot odds. Its pot odds that I'm having problems working out especially with the time limits with online poker do you have any suggestions that could help me?

Thanks
Michael

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 03:04 PM
(#14)
Hi Michae2005,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Oct 13, 2013, 09:47 PM
(#15)
Hi

It has taken some time but I have finally made it to 10 VPPs. There has been some up and downs and unfortunately more downs than ups

Michael

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 12:56 AM
(#16)
Hi Michael,

According to our records you're not there yet, but it can take up to 72 hours to reach our system. Keep working at it and post any hands you would like reviewed.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#17)
Hi There

Thanks, out of the $4 from this promotion and the $0.50 I got last month from the league last month I’m down to $2.29. So as you can see I’m not doing very well. I’m not to bad I pre flop play it’s after the flop if I don’t have 2 pair + or if I am 3 bet pre flop. Here are some hands that I would like someone to have a look at.

This is not the hand that I want advice on but it was the same situation except I had AKo and it was a 3 bet shove not a 4 bet shove. In the hand below I called which in my mind was an easy call. But when I had AKo I folded my concerned was that the player could have had AA, KK or even QQ, JJ witch are betting me. So my question is:
Was a fold the right call here or should I have called the bet and hoped for the best?

This next had I lost my nerve and folded. Looking at the hand again I have more outs than I thought I had in the game. If I’m right I have 15 here? If I’m right that gives me about 30% of hitting? So my question here is should have called to see the river.

Thanks for all the help

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 10:29 AM
(#18)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Hi There

Thanks, out of the $4 from this promotion and the $0.50 I got last month from the league last month I’m down to $2.29. So as you can see I’m not doing very well. I’m not to bad I pre flop play it’s after the flop if I don’t have 2 pair + or if I am 3 bet pre flop. Here are some hands that I would like someone to have a look at.

This is not the hand that I want advice on but it was the same situation except I had AKo and it was a 3 bet shove not a 4 bet shove. In the hand below I called which in my mind was an easy call. But when I had AKo I folded my concerned was that the player could have had AA, KK or even QQ, JJ witch are betting me. So my question is:
Was a fold the right call here or should I have called the bet and hoped for the best?

This next had I lost my nerve and folded. Looking at the hand again I have more outs than I thought I had in the game. If I’m right I have 15 here? If I’m right that gives me about 30% of hitting? So my question here is should have called to see the river.

Thanks for all the help
Hi Michae2005!

You havent gone busto, so you are not doing to badly either

With the KK hand, I strongly recommend sticking to the standard betsize of 3bb. With a hand this strong you want to get called. Moreover, if you bet big with big hands and small with small hands, you become easy to read and to exploit. Always betting the same preflop keeps the strength of you hand concealed. In general, you can pretty much always call a preflop all in profitably with KK and AA. So, calling in this example is good.

With hands such as JJ, QQ and AK, we normally want to fold to a preflop all in. Note, there can be situations where is is fine for you to be the aggressor and move all in with AK since you then have some fold equity.

Regarding 3betting, this takes practice but there are a few general rules. Most importantly, don't call a 3bet if the villain has position on you. Fold hands as strong as QQ, but 4bet KK and AA. If you are in position we can widen our calling range. At 2NL most 3bets are real strength, not bluffs though.

YOu mentioned that the half pot button adjusted your bet size in an earlier post. In the Pokerstars lobby under options, find "advanced multitabling options" Here you should find a check box to not round off percentages. This ought to do the trick.

78s hand: Preflop this should be the lower end of your opening range from this position. However, on the river, you are correct. You have 9 flush outs and 6 straight outs totaling 15 outs. The rule of 2 tells us that we thus have about 30% chance of improving on the river. The villain made a half pot bet. So you have to pay 15c for a chance to win 45c. This is the same as a 1:3 ratio or 25%. 30% is greater than 25% so yes, calling would have been profitable. No worries. You noticed this after the fact which is a great first step. Doing these types of calculations becomes easier and easier with practice

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:08 PM
(#20)
Hi

Thanks for having a look at the hands. I raised to $0.12 in the first hand at it was 3x the raise from UTG. Was that not the right move?

Thanks
Michael

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com