Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

NFL discussion

Old
NFL discussion - Thu Sep 19, 2013, 07:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi everyone!

Although I'm a skinny little guy in the UK, I'm a big fan of watching big tough American guys battling on the gridiron. I'm sure there are lots of other NFL fans on the forum, so let's get some discussion going.

First of all, which team do you support?

When I was a kid, watching Channel 4 highlights with Nicky Horne, I randomly picked the Cowboys (and even had a Tony Dorsett jersey) but I lost interest for a few years. I got back into the game as the Patriots' "dynasty" began. Belichik's team are boringly efficient (Tom Brady might actually be an automaton) but I'm stuck with them now.
I've never been to the US, but Boston seems like the kind of place a Brit could fit in with. It's New England, after all.

At the end of the regular season last year, I picked Seattle and Denver for the Superbowl, so I'm not surprised to see them crushing this year.

I could talk about fantasy football all night (it's more fun than poker!) but let's not go there yet. Just let me know who your team is and let the trash talking begin!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 19, 2013, 08:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Well ya know who my team is already

I grew up in Vancouver USA (Southwest Washington state) and been a fan as long as i can remember But i be living in Bills country last 10 years and sure get some looks when i walking around with my Seahawks jersey on

I also have Seattle over Denver in the Cold SB down in the city

I live for the NFL my 2 favorite things Poker and Football makes for some great Sundays

Best of luck to everyone's team

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 02:04 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Miami Dolphins.

Been following them since the eighties when the only way my family could follow the scores was by updates on spreadbetting companies teletext pages and the (American) Armed forces radio network which, in Ireland at least, the signal wasn't good.

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 06:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
I have to support the town I come from. So, Go Browns

I wouldn't bet on them making the SuperBowl though

Roland GTX

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 05:09 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
Like you Arty, I grow up watching Sunday night highlights on channel 4.

Still rooting for the Cowboys......

And the Toronto Argos of course

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 06:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
Got into NFL mid-90s and therefore the 49ers made sense, although most of my early memories were disappointment at the hands of Brett Favre and Green Bay.
Then when Tampa Bay changed their uniform from tangerine captain morgan vibe to the cutthroat red and black pirate vibe I couldn't help but fall for them a little + ?2002/2003? was awesome and they probably became my fave team when I saw them get spanked by New England at Wembley in 2009. Of course last year I resurrected my interest in the 49ers

My interest in NFL has probably fluctuated in line with how much it is shown on terrestrial TV in the UK, ie it has had its ups and downs.

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 07:09 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
I have to support the town I come from. So, Go Browns
I wouldn't bet on them making the SuperBowl though
After trading away their best player (Trent Richardson) for a draft pick next year, it seems like they've given up already, after 2 games. They'll probably use the pick on a QB, seeing as Weeden isn't a long-term option. He's also injured now. Not a good time to be a Browns fan. :/

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 08:18 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Baltimore,born and bred here. So grew up with the Colts,first job I ever got while I was still in HS money was set aside for Colts season tickets. Ripped my guts out,an the guts of our entire city,when Robert Irsay snuck the team out of town in 1984,under the cover of darkness. The company he used,Mayflower,still won't do business anywhere near Baltimore if they can help it,as their trucks are almost sure to get vandalized in some way.

Ravens came from Cleveland (and of course Cleveland was guaranteed a new team withing 3 years and a new stadium and got to keep their name and colors,seeing those blue horseshoes that the Colts sport next to "Indianapolis" still rankles here...) in November '95 and I got season tickets (and the requisite "personal seat license" ) straight off. Have made every home game,plenty of road games,the Ravens first Super Bowl in 2001 and the AFC Championship beat down of Team Hoodie in Foxboro this past January. I guess I qualify as a Raven Maniac".

Second favorite team is whomever is playing the Redskins.

Denver and Seattle both look very strong,but it's only two weeks in and the "chalk" from both conferences making the Super Bowl is definitely NOT the recent pattern.Plus Peyton's track record of coming up small in the post season. I'm going to go Seattle and Kansas City (they should waltz to at worst a "wild card" with their butter soft schedule).

And to further reinforce the suffering of Iggles fans everywhere watch the Chiefs pull the upset and give Andy Reid a title the first year after he leaves Philly.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Fri Sep 20, 2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
After trading away their best player (Trent Richardson) for a draft pick next year, it seems like they've given up already, after 2 games. They'll probably use the pick on a QB, seeing as Weeden isn't a long-term option. He's also injured now. Not a good time to be a Browns fan. :/
Teddy Bridgewater sweepstakes is fully engaged in Cleveland. They set themselves up for this 2 years ago with a wasted 2nd round pick on Weeden...28 years old rookie who can't throw.

They're gonna have to try to be worse than Jacksonville though. Think the Jags have a real shot at 0-16 and being in L.A. sooner than later.

Old
Fri Sep 20, 2013, 10:59 PM
(#10)
Jacksonville are embarrassinly bad aren't they? Someone on twitter said that Bovada is offering 1000-1 odds against the Jags winning the Superbowl, but it should be more like one billion to one! 0-16 is a very real possibility. I think Seattle might put a 50-burger on them this week. Ruchard Sherman will probably score more points than the Jags' offense!

As for your Ravens, I think they are significantly weaker this year than last, partly because they had to let some players walk after paying Flacco so much as a reward for his impressive post-season. The AFC North was a powerhouse a few years ago (I loved watching Ravens/Steelers grudge matches) but that division could go to anyone but the Browns this year.
It's pretty freaky how the "NFC Worst" from a few years ago now has the best rivalry. Although I liked the Niners in the days of Montana, Rice and Young, I really like the youngsters on the Seahawks team, and Pete Carroll is much more likable than Harbaugh.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 22, 2013, 04:29 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO2COO View Post
Well ya know who my team is already

The Seahawks bird looks like a Pokemon.

I think I'm in the wrong topic somehow...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com