Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

First hand AA in 27 player turbo S&G (play money)

Old
First hand AA in 27 player turbo S&G (play money) - Sun Sep 22, 2013, 04:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
This is the very first hand of a 27 player turbo S&G with 50K play money buy in. I know it's just play money, but I have found that there are at least a few players at these buy in levels that are thinking a little bit. Also, I am playing these things because I can't get any good practice any other way right now. I am trying to make correct decisions and good plays even though it is not real money.

I am not getting exactly what I want from the hand replayer on the flop. It wont save up to what Seat 5 does, so I will just explain. On the flop I am in position on everyone. It checks to me and I put in the C-bet. The Seat 3 guy goes all in, the Seat 4 guy folds, the Seat 5 guy calls the all in, and then it's back to me.

Is this a spot where I should be folding?

Thanks so much for the help

Old
Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Tyril!

Yeah, there are some decent players in these games (I play more of the 1k and 2k 45's ).

With AA, or any other hand that I'm going to open with, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limps, I will raise to 6BB or 120. By keeping all of my bets/raises standard, it helps to keep the opps continually guessing as to the strength of my hand as I'll make the same bet with AA, 77, 33, AK, JTs or a total bluff.

The flop is very unkind, as it brings a pair along with multiple straight and a flush draw. When the opps check to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the pot size, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps on a dry board, the standard is 3/4 pot, but with a board this wet, I'm going to up the amount to a pot-sized bet (the standard for 4 opps on a dry board) of 590. If I bet less than this, then I could be giving the opps the right odds to try to outdraw me... something that I want to avoid whenever possible. HOWEVER, this creates another problem. By betting 590, this is over 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot committed and cannot ever fold if I bet it. Therefore, I have two choices on the flop.. shove or fold and with AA, I'm definitely not folding if the opps check to me. If they shove first, I could find a fold, but not with them checking.

As played, I'd muck to the check/shove and call, but I'd have avoided the whole situation by shoving the flop to start with. Yes, some of the time, the opp may have a 7 and they also may outdraw me, but this is a chance I'm willing to take. It's also a good example of why I need 100 buy-ins in my bankroll to be playing a given level, as I want to be able to get my chips into a spot like this first... so that the pressure is on the opps and not on me.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
(#3)
I think I psyched myself out of this hand from the moment it was dealt. I saw it and said to myself "What horrible thing is about to happen here?" like some kind of a self fulfilling prophecy or something haha. I felt like I could see a slow motion kick to the groin coming without the ability to move out of the way. When I saw three flat callers pre flop I told myself I was screwed. I thought for sure someone would hit a hand that beats me on the flop, and I'm basically just looking for a way out while still playing "correctly". After the check raise all in from one guy and check call all in from another guy I have found my way out and I am so sure that I am losing that I actually showed the AA when I folded (because I'm such a genius ). I would have called one all in, but two seems so likely that I'm beat.

Well, at least I feel like I have learned something from it. I definitely like your way of playing it John. I don't usually over bet the pot, but it absolutely makes sense to me here vs this many other people still in the pot. Clearly in this specific hand it would have been so much better haha. At least if that is my default line (which I didn't have any default line for this situation previously) then I feel like I can step out of the way of that kick to the nuts. Even if I lose the hand, then so be it.

Thanks

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 03:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
It's play money so villains will not play nitty.
You might see a shove with 9To or 56o, while pairs, flush draws and overpairs are probably always a shove.
I am calling almost always here.
I think you folded because you were afraid of losing, even though you probably knew you were ahead.
That's a mistake you can't make, since people who play aggressively will exploit you.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 03:20 AM..

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 03:06 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
It's play money so villains will not play nitty.
You might see a shove with 9To or 56o, while pairs, flush draws and overpairs are probably always a shove.
I am calling almost always here.
I think you folded because you were afraid of losing, even though you probably knew you were ahead.
That's a mistake you can't make, since people who play aggressively will exploit you.

I think that you are absolutely correct in that I was afraid and that's why I played it so wrongly. From the moment I saw the hand I just "knew" that it was going to go badly and basically I made my prediction come true. I definitely did think that I was beat, though, even if it was all in my head. I was so sure that I even showed the hand to the table when I folded, and was embarrassed that I did afterward .

I understand that it's play money and people are often not playing well, but I hope to not be playing for play money forever so I am trying to play like it is for real money. I know that's kinda wierd, but I don't have any other options right now.

I was making this post longer, but I decided to just make a new thread in the "Poker Education & Beginners Questions" forum which can be found here: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...358#post449358

Thanks for your help

P.S. I have decided that I will never show a hand to the table again if not needed, lol.

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
There's critical info in this hand that will make me fold in this spot.

Villain is in the Big Blind.

Many players at play money and even at low stakes real money feel compelled to call any raise in the blinds because they already have chips in the pot. They feel compelled to call with any 2 because it's their chips and they feel entitled to the pot.

Second is that villain check raises. Check raising is a very strong move but is rarely if ever used by bad players. Generally if they hit in this spot they call any raise. They want to trap you because quite frankly, that's what bad players do.

Check raising is a show of strength and I'm 90% sure he has the goods here. Even if he doesn't have the goods, he has a very strong draw and he's not in bad shape if you come over the top.

It's an easyish fold from me. I think there will be other spots where we will win our chips back.

And I disagree with JWK about your flop bet. I think you played it correct although maybe 2/3rds the pot would be a little less and give us the same info.

I'd keep a close eye on this player and make as many notes as possible. He may have won the hand but if you're observant then you can win the war.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 24, 2013, 01:44 AM
(#7)
Cool, thanks for the input Oval

I have decided that I will just open fold AA from now on to avoid any problems. Lol, j/k

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com