Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KK Faces River Shove

Old
KK Faces River Shove - Mon Sep 23, 2013, 03:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This is a spot I found myself in tonight in a 9-player $3.50 SnG. Fairly early so no real reads. This one tilted me a bit because I had just ran KK into rivered flush and AA into straight flush on other games.

I don't think replayer shows it, but he showed 6d8d. Were there any signs I should've noticed that would make me believe I'm still ahead here? Is this not just a total suicide bluff? What hands could I possibly have been betting on flop and turn but fold a 1/3 pot bet?

Sorry, this is only partly me venting. I honestly want to know if I missed a tell somewhere.

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 04:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
First of all he just called turn.
Any Ax or set would probably shove turn.
On the river we are deciding on whether he missed his draws and he is bluffing, or he has Qx and he bluff-catched turn.
I think we can call just for information, and besides that you are getting great pot odds.
I am calling river, although not glad about it.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 04:32 AM..

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 10:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Fastlane,

You committed yourself with the turn bet imo, when all the draws miss I think we have to call here. The Q is a good scare card to bluff and the busted draws have to bluff to win. I'm not sure I like betting the turn here as the ace will be a scare card to all of his 1 pair hands that don't have an ace kicker, making it hard to get paid by the parts of his range that have very poor equity. I would generally check this back, fold river to a diamond and a big bet, call on all blanks, or bet for value on blanks where he checks again (now expecting to get paid for another street of value from worse 1 pairs).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
I think we can call just for information,
It will be tough to use that information, since either the villain will be gone or we'll have 120 chips left.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
It will be tough to use that information, since either the villain will be gone or we'll have 120 chips left.

Yeah true but it's a single table sit n go, villain might be a reg, so it would be useful for future sit n go's that we might play against him.

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
As it turns out, I got the information anyway. So of course I made a note and hope to run into him again. Thanks Dave. I think the real issue in my play here is one I know I have trouble with. That is, when KK and QQ run into overcards. I don't know if in the same situation again I could make myself call here. After he calls 80% on the flop and 60% on turn I just couldn't imagine he didn't have a Q or an A. Who does he expect is going to fold to 1/3 pot bet after they've fired two big bets? Me apparently Before he showed I was patting myself on the back for a disciplined fold, lol. So check the turned overcard for pot control? That would've probably made a big difference! Thanks for the perceptive insight

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 09:19 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85FastLane View Post
Were there any signs I should've noticed that would make me believe I'm still ahead here? Is this not just a total suicide bluff?
Hey

I used to play these before switching to cash. And they seemed to draw a similar group of players each time? Like there'd be about 3 multi-tabling regs who don't really play much except AA/KK/QQ/AKs until blinds hit 150, and then there'd be least 3 recreational players like this one that would like to limp in and play a lot of pots and see a lot of flops for cheap and stuff? And then sometimes they like to chat - about all sorts of stuff ... promotions, pets, bbq, etc. And then sometimes they even like to talk about their cards too - when they had a hand, and when they were bluffing

One time I was having internet issues, and somebody waited for me to come back - for *TEN* minutes!! Like I guess a lot of the recreationals are playing for fun and stuff?

Everybody recommends playing super-tight at the beginning of STTs - I used to do that post-flop, especially with the casuals, who can sometimes do strange things like this 8Ts hand if they start to feel ... desperate? I don't know lol

Anyways, so mostly I just wanted to add a note because I saw your blog about Daniel Negreanu, and he posted a follow-up on PokerStars Blog - wasn't sure if you'd seen it:

Thoughts becoming reality

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 09:22 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com