Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

did i raise too much after flop

Old
did i raise too much after flop - Mon Sep 23, 2013, 08:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
All day i have a strong or monster hand no one is playin and i know that Ah 10h isn't so strong so i just called to get more ppl in the game. After the flop villain3 checked and i was not sure how much should i raise and then i saw it in my head, if i get Kh on the turn or river and i could make the nuts for the first time in my life here at PS so i raised the size of the pot in the name of nuts which probably is the main reason that villain3 folded.

All thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers,

groovy

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 08:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Yeah your bet on the flop is a bit big, I would prefer half pot.
Not much to analyze here, it's more of a brag hand.
Very nice hand!
And btw welcome to PSO!

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 09:10 AM
(#3)
Thx GamblingProp!
Didnt want to brag whit this so i think i'll just delete this thread.

GL

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy611 View Post

All thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers,

groovy
Hello groovy,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Raise or fold pre. Your bet is a bit too big on the flop. 1/2 to 2/3 pot would be better. Once the royal comes just continue betting 2/3 pot and shove river.

Last edited by birdayy; Mon Sep 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old
Mon Sep 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi groovy,

Firstly I'm not a huge fan of open limping UTG, if people have been folding to our raises and not giving action to our premiums then limping to induce action isn't the best adjustment (especially with AT which generally is not a hand craving action), a better adjustment is to start opening a wider range of hands and mixing in steals.

On the flop the bet is too large, yes. With this strong a flop I'd be looking to set up a bet/3b jam that has fold equity. By betting 3200, of someone raises to 8-9K, they will be committing to call off to a shove by us as we're only making ot 23.7 total so only 15 more. If we bet more like 1600 however, a raise would be to about 4-5K, now we can shove for 19 more and have tangible fold equity. We also can get raised lighter sometimes since we leave them room to raise and then fold to a shove. The big sizing sort of takes this option out of their gameplan.

On the turn however, the big bet is great. If the villain called your big flop bet with just a jack, he's probably folding to this turn anyway unless he picked up a straight draw (like JT), regardless of the sizing. But the rest of his calling range on the flop will be Qx/QJ, and draws, and this turn card improves all draws in some way. We need 2 streets of action to get stacks in by the river, and a villain who is likely to give it with a fair bit of his range, so I think this is good.

Congrats on your first royal flush!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Sep 24, 2013, 02:47 AM
(#7)
Wow

Hi Dave and thx a lot for your post. Although i understood most of it i definitely need to put some time into learning all those poker terms so next time i can understand you completely.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com