Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Newbie-Intermediate Reading Material besides PSO

Old
Newbie-Intermediate Reading Material besides PSO - Wed Sep 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Hi,

I am fairly new to Poker and was looking for books to read to strengthen my basic and intermediate game. I play lots of other card games so have a good idea of odds but find that I make more mistakes than I think after discovering the odds calculator

I could finish in the top 500 of tournaments more often if I play sensibly so I feel I have a fair understanding of NLHE, or a beginning atleast. I am looking to take this to the next level.

Any pointers are appreciated - books, videos, software..
I wish there were a way to easily guesstimate my skill level to point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Last edited by IBStryp; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hi
I have found Harrington on Hold 'em very usefull books, Volume one deals with Strategic play.
A very usefull source of poker books and information is available at www.twoplustwo.com

Hope this helps, im sure other members will also be suggesting some books for your consideration.

Goodluck

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2013
Thanks, I'm a little surprised at the lack of other suggestions but hey ho.

So these 2 for a good starting point for a beginner/intermediate player:

.. are a good start?

Thanks!

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 05:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time (vol 1, 2 and 3)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 11:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
I don't understand how you can be new to poker, but want to learn intermediate strategy? Either way though, I know a good book for intermediate NLHE 6max. 'Harrington on Online Cash Games; 6-Max No-Limit Hold’em'. It doesn't apply directly to full ring, but you can adjust accordingly I would think. I would strongly recommend it though.

Also, I know there have been a bunch of threads in the past about poker books. Seaching PSO might reveal a lot as well.

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:30 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Andrew Seidman - Easy Game Volume I.pdf - No Limit Holdem

Also Volume 2

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 01, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
I recommend "every hand revealed" by mr. gus hansen

I will warn you this book will ruin you in the short term but be a benefit in the long term. Does this make sense?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com