Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL zoom, too optimistic river reraise?

Old
5 NL zoom, too optimistic river reraise? - Wed Sep 25, 2013, 01:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain 2: 67/33/0 (3 hands), WWSF 1/1
Vaillain 5: 63/25/0 (8 hands), WWSF 3/4

Pre: isolation
flop: figured they have 77, draw or most likely nothing really
turn: put villain 2 to missed flush, villain 5 i thought do that with any hand given agression and stack size. After raise I thought villain 2 has draw, (but given he didn't go all in, 999, full house, str are likely)

Given I was almost sure both players are are very loose aggressive, my raise on turn was ok?

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($8.96)
SB ($4.92)
BB ($6.19)
UTG ($5.56)
MP ($1.18)
Hero (CO) ($5.58)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, 9
1 fold, MP calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.20, 1 fold, SB calls $0.18, 1 fold, MP calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.65) 9, 9, 7 (3 players)
SB bets $0.25, MP calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

Turn: ($1.40) 5 (3 players)
SB checks, MP bets $0.73 (All-In), Hero calls $0.73, SB raises to $1.46, Hero raises to $5.13 (All-In), SB calls $3.01 (All-In)

River: ($11.07) 10 (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $11.07 | Rake: $0.46

PS. I know you will say "Raise flop" I just didn't want to because was hoping to stack them both, just for fun of it.

Last edited by braveslice; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 02:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
well you had 2 flush draws on the turn, I would have raised myself for value and protection. I'd put SB on a draw given his line on the turn
Overall I would do the same, only yeah I'd put in a flop raise

Last edited by Praydk; Wed Sep 25, 2013 at 02:40 PM..

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 03:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi brave,

Preflop iso raise is fine. Raise the flop!!! Why just call here? The board is wet and 2 possibly loose players have shown an interest, it is essential to raise immediately to build the pot, and to reopen the betting so if one of them has the case 9, they can reraise and we can get the money in before some scary cards come off and beat us or freeze our action. Yes I see your post script, but not raising the flop increases the chance you don't stack them both, so your action was counter productive to your goal imo. You stand to make the most money over time by raising this flop, not slow playing it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:10 PM
(#4)
I knew I will get schooled, lol

Ty for that, yeah you are both right. To my defense villain 5 would almost definitely had folded.

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
I never raised paired boards either with trips or a flopped boat, i normally raise the turn. Can we check a boat on the flop to let them catch up when were IP and if were OOP are we check raising a boat on the flop or donking the turn i dont like the idea of check raising the turn then in case they check back.

Old
Wed Sep 25, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
I never raised paired boards either with trips or a flopped boat, i normally raise the turn. Can we check a boat on the flop to let them catch up
I know you love to slow play too. It is costing you money.

"Can we check a boat on the flop to let them catch up" Why do you want to let loose players catch up for cheap, when they will dutifully pay you a premium to try and do so? What happens when their drawing hands etc miss and they won't pay you any more? And when they have hands that have little chance to improve but who's hand strength is likely to decrease with many scare cards on the turn, you'll do better hooking their money in now before they miss or get scared.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 12:23 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
That makes sense Dave when you put it like that but i dont intentionally slow play i just think like on a 996r board if i got raised i would peel once with over pairs depending on if it was a 3bet pot and where they were sitting.

Would it be wrong to fold a straight draw on a paired flop? I normally don't try to build big pots with drawing hands on paired flops which is why i dont raise my boat or trips because i only expect to get 2 streets out of an over pair and 1 out of a draw to most players at zoom anyway they are all nitty players that are fit or fold.

Its like if i flopped 77 on a K72 flop i almost always get a fold if i raise so i normally raise the turn and try and commit them on the turn so they have to call a river.

If your saying raise flop i will do so, obviously im still learning and un till i hear or see other players are making more money that way i would continue check raising the turn instead but now you said do it on the flop i will try it out.

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 04:16 PM
(#8)
I have to point out that not raising flop wasn't really in a mathematical sense a mistake, I had 80% to win.

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 09:30 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
I have to point out that not raising flop wasn't really in a mathematical sense a mistake, I had 80% to win.
The object of the game is not to have the best hand at showdown. It's to make the most money. Raising usually makes money. Calling often doesn't.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 10:10 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
First, you don't know you're 80% to win, since you can't see their hands on the flop.

Second, you're not raising to "protect your hand", you're raising for value, and not raising the flop is a mistake because it's leaving value on the table.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com