Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Wed Sep 25, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi!

I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Thanks in advance,
Arturs.

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 12:29 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 09:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello arturs86,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 06:28 PM
(#4)
This is my hand replay:

Is there any comments or suggestions how to get even more value out of this situation?

Last edited by arturs86; Thu Sep 26, 2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 05:50 AM
(#5)
Hi arturs86,

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step. Meanwhile just let me know when you have passed the quiz.

Cheers!

flophitter

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#6)
Quiz - done!

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 12:27 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi arturs86!

With K8s from the BB, when the other opps limp, I'm more than happy to see a free flop, as my hand is nowhere near strong enough to raise with.

I flop a flush draw with bottom pair. I'm going to check here and hope to get a free turn card. If I did bet, I would want to make a standard value bet. Postflop bets need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps, the standard size is 3/4 pot (6 chips).

The turn gives me two pair and now an opp leads into me for a very abnormally small bet. I'm going to make a standard raise here and since with 2 opps, I'd normally bet 2/3 pot, I'm going to raise by 2/3 pot, to 25 chips.

On the river, I'll make another 2/3 pot value bet (41 chips).

By keeping my bets and raises standard, it helps to conceal the strength of my hand and keep the opps continually guessing as to the cards that I have.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 04:24 PM
(#8)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#9)
Hi!

I've played a few tables till this moment. I doubled up my bankroll few times, but at this moment I'm a little bit short, since I lost 3/4 of my first buy-in. What are my conclusions? Mostly all the time I loose when I am not focused for 100% and therefore I'm not using the knowledge that I've learned in pokerschool so far. I put myself in useless risks OR didn't calculate correctly all the possible hands of my opponents. Of course, sometimes it's just lack of experience, since calculating takes longer time than I have while playing online - time bank starts to roll and I have to decide faster. But when I'm fully focused and on alert, I win the pot almost all the time or at least loose just a little bit of cash.

Second reason (I guess quite popular between absolute beginners in poker) is impatience. Sometimes I play too loose for my level of experience. I limp with less than average hands or even bet&call with hands that are far from good. For the same reason I put my money on risk when opponent makes an agressive bet or reraise.

I have to learn to fold more. In theory I know that even poker genius fold most of the time and they are not affraid from folding even great hands if there is a chance of loosing a hand. I think that this could be a key for some improvement in future.

I want to thank You, guys, for this chance to learn poker in real game. Play money is a garbage after a while of playing - it is great to study the very basics and get to know the game better. But at one point You understand that players tend to act inadequate, since they don't put anything on the risk. So far this is a great experience and I believe that I will continue to learn a lot of things from You and from real game situations. Once again - thanks!

Now the homework

3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet
1) to put pressure on opponents
2) to protect against strong draws
3) to bluff people off decent hands

My hand replay:

I'm not sure if I should check-check at the end. I was holding a top pair, but I missed the flush on the river. Top pair was all I had. Of course, opponent was checking, so he was probably waiting for cheap showdown, but he raised a lot before and that could be either:
1) bluff
2) at least two pair on the flop
I decided that the pot is nice enough to win, but I wasn't sure if top pair is enough to put more money in risk.

Another point - reraises after the flop. My opponent did a check, I made a standart 2/3 pot bet. He raised. Strange move, but with dry board he could only possibly win with pocket pair or two pair. My gut told that he's bluffing me out, so I reraised. On turn he bets a regular bet less than 3/4 of pot. I call with top pair and a flush draw. On river he cheks after betting on the turn. Probably that was the point where my reaction and experience lacked (time bank etc...) - now, when analyzing this hand, I understand, that most likely he really didn't get what he wanted in river. Of coirse, check could be a trap for me to bet, but 6 most likely isn't a card that could make a monster hand on board like this.

Quiz still in process. Hope to finish it until my hand will be reviewed.

P.S. - Thanks, JWK24, for hand review. It helped a lot, now I'm thinking about my bet size lot more than before.

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 07:07 AM
(#10)
I'm not sure if I can ask those questions in this thread, but I guess it's about my studies

In Your course about entering the pot there is something I don't really get.
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...-cash-game-pot

In a topic - playing against the limpers, they suggest to call with a 76 suited or pocket 7 in position near dealer. But actually that doesn't really fit in my brain, because then I'm the limper guy too. And there are 3 more persons after me to play, especially the one on BB. If I was on the BB and everybody limped before me and I had a +/- good hand, I would raise. And that puts me in a situation where I'm not playing with conviction anymore. Maybe it's better to fold or raise than just hoping to get a cheap showdown that in most situations (at least - how far I've played cash games for few days) doesn't work. Somebody in 80% situations will raise after bunch of limpers.

Thank You for comments in advance!

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
(#11)
Hi arturs86,

Thanks for posting this hand for review, one of the Hand Analysers will review it and answer your questions.

Meanwhile just let me know when you have passed the quiz.

Cheers!

flophitter

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi arturs86! It's good that you are recognising your mistakes and the difficulties you're having. No one expects you to become a poker maestro overnight. It takes a long time to master, and even breaking even at 2NL is tough for many people. You'll get better at making quick and correct decisions as you get more experience, so keep playing and studying and you'll become a winning player.

I'll take a look at the hand in post #9 and then answer the question in #10.

With AJs under the gun (UTG) I'd sometimes just fold, because it's hard to play this hand profitably out of position, and it's unlikely to be the best hand with 8 players still to act. (My range for this seat is TT+/AQs+). If I did play the hand (which I will do if I'm deep-stacked like you were, and the table is full of weak players) then I'll open for a standard raise of 3bb. Your bet-sizing in this hand is incorrect at a couple of points, so that's something you can work on. Just minraising to 4c isn't enough. It gives too good a price to speculative hands, but you don't want a string of callers when you're in early position. Fortunately, no one with position calls, so you see the flop just against the big blind. He can have a wide (weak) range, since he only had to call 2c. You got a monster flop with top pair and the nut flush draw. I'd occasionally just check back on the flop, because there are no bad turn cards, but a more straightforward line is to bet for value and hope that villain has a worse pair or draw. As played, you bet about the right amount, 6c into 9c. The villain min-checkraises, which is somewhat concerning, as this often indicates a monster like a set, but on this board, you're never drawing dead with your flush draw. I would generally just call, because if you raise then villain will usually only call with hands that are currently beating you. If you're behind, you want to keep the pot small and try and hit the flush as cheaply as possible. On the rare occasions that villain is bluffing, then calling is good too, as he might continue his bluff on later streets. In short, raising is bad, because you'll fold out the worse hands and only get action from better ones; which we call "value-owning yourself". Another problem with your raise is that you just clicked it back with a minraise. When raising is appropriate, choose a size that is 2.5 or 3 times the size of the current bet, to get value for your hand and make it a big mistake for worse hands to call. You could also decide that you have such a great flop that you're willing to get stacks in right there. You won't get stacks in by minraising.
Villain calls and then donks the turn. This is looking a lot like a set, or perhaps AQ just got there, so I would just call. You might need to hit the flush, so take the price that's on offer. The river is basically a blank, so it's very suspicious when villain checks. He might be getting tricky and plans to check-raise all in if you bet, so I don't mind checking behind at all. In the unlikely event that villain is bluffing, he won't call a bet anyway. If no worse hands can call a valuebet, then it's pointless making it.
I'm quite surprised to see villain shows up with a total airball. It seems this guy is a maniac. He made a strange check-raise on the flop with no pair or draw, and then then tried to barrel you off a hand that is clearly strong after you 3-bet the flop. He's likely to spew like this again in the future, so it's great that you have him on your right. In position, you could make some light calls with one pair, as you let him spew off his chips.

Regarding your question about over-limping, I think it's fine to do this in late position. With a hand like 76s, your aim is to see a flop cheaply, because you won't make a monster hand very often. If there are multiple players in the pot, then when you do hit your hand there's a greater chance of you getting paid off, as someone else is likely to have something half-decent too. It's basically all about "implied odds". You take a small risk (limping in for 1bb), but you might gain a reward of a whole 100bb stack when you hit a straight, flush or trips. (Implied odds of 100 to 1 is great!). If there's a raise in front (or you raise yourself) then you're paying a higher price to see the flop, so might only have odds of 100 to 3 or 33 to 1, which is not such a great deal. Although I do not recommend open-limping into a pot with a speculative hand, seeing a cheap flop in position with one is fine. Think about risk and reward. Enter for a small risk (knowing you can make an easy fold when you miss, having only paid 2c) and chase the big reward for a low price.
You're right though. If there are a couple of limpers, a good player will often raise to try and isolate them, or to pick up the pot right away. Don't limp in early position, but if you're on the button and the blinds aren't very aggressive, there's a good chance you'll see that cheap flop, so give it a try.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:24 AM
(#13)
I passed the quiz

ArtySmokesPS, thanks for detailed answers. I learned few great things through them. Hope to get some useful tips also in future. But for now.. need a lot of practice, since hand analysis and calculating takes a more time than I have during games

Best wishes,
Arturs.

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 09:00 AM
(#14)
Hello arturs86,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 02:46 AM
(#15)
Hi!

Just wanted to post hand where I lost a considerable percentage of my second bonus.

I'm not sure if this fold was correct. And unfortunately we can't know what hand my opponent did have. But still there was a good chance that he had a better hand than mine. What would You do?

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 09:09 AM
(#16)
Hi arturs86,

Thank you for posting this hand for review - I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Regards

flophitter

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 12:10 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi arturs86,

I will be your Hand Analyzer for this post

Given that we 3bet here and got bet into, I think I prefer calling and re-evaluating the turn. When we raise we are sort of turning our hand into a bluff; Hands that have us beat will call/raise and hand that we have beat will fold. As played, I think folding is correct, I don't think after the action we have taken villain is capable to raise with anything less than a pair of Aces.

Old
Wed Oct 02, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#18)
Hi arturs86,

Good news - your third Bankroll Builder bonus has been processed and it will be in your account shortly!

Now to earn your fourth and final bonus, keep applying the principles you have learned at the same tables as before until you have earned a further 10 VPPs, counting from when you receive this latest bonus.

If you lose your bankroll, please post the losing hand(s) for analysis. As ever, if you have any questions we are here for you.

flophitter

Old
Thu Oct 03, 2013, 02:20 PM
(#19)
Hi, I earned 12 FPP since my latest bonus!

Old
Fri Oct 04, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#20)
Congratulations arturs86!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

flophitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com