Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

New Bankroll Builder

Old
New Bankroll Builder - Thu Sep 26, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
Greetings members of PSO, my name is xFreedoom, I am new to PSO and I would like to take advantage of your Bankroll Builder Promotion since it sounds lovely and it can greatly help improve my game as I am a beginner.

Thank You.

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 26, 2013, 11:43 PM
(#3)
Alright, thanks

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 07:37 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreedoom View Post
Alright, thanks
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 08:01 AM
(#5)

I get a premium hand on the small blind, 5 limp before me, I wasn't sure what to do at that point. A very big raise could've either put me in trouble where I'm up against AA,KK with someone from the limpers slowplaying, a small raise could have let many hands that beat me with low cards on the flop in. I think I bet too little preflop anyway. Luckily on the flop I hit my king, but I see 2 spades and a possiblity for a straight draw, with 3 other players in the hand and me being out of position I make a big bet to make sure I shake off the Villains with marginal hands, however I get no calls.

I was wondering about my bet sizing in this situation, could I have gotten in big trouble because of my bets? Or could I have extracted more value off this hand?

Thank You.

edit:
When I was going through the other threads looking at interesting hands I saw this video and already watched it. Also passed both assessment quizes.

Last edited by xFreedoom; Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 09:13 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi xFreedoom!

With AK from the SB, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 5 limpers, I will raise to 8BB or 160.

I flop top pair in a 5-way pot. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 4 opps, a standard bet is a pot-sized bet, so would normally bet 640... BUT... this is well over 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot-committed and cannot fold if I make this bet. Due to this, I need to shove the flop.
I do not want to bet less than 640 on the flop here, as by doing so, I can be giving the correct odds to the opps to try to outdraw me. If I give them the right odds and they do outdraw me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#8)
I'm not too sure how after putting about a 10th of my stack in the pot i'd be pot commited before I even make a bet, however I do understand the logic behind it. Maybe the shove wouldn't change much particularly in this situation but it's a generally better approach.

Thank You and I'm ready for the next step.

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 06:51 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thank You and I'm ready for the next step.
Please let us know as soon as you pass the Poker Basic Quiz and we'll get your first bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 07:47 AM
(#10)
I took and passed both the poker basics and the poker assesment quizes as I said earlier Thank You

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 12:33 PM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I took and passed both the poker basics and the poker assesment quizes as I said earlier Thank You
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#12)

I did watch the video and pass the quiz. Thank You.

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi xFreedoom! I'll analyse the hand in post #12.

AJ is a pretty strong hand, but it's also somewhat troublesome. It's one that tends to win small pots and lose big ones. It doesn't play particularly well out of position, so I think just flat-calling the raise in the big blind is fine here. I would be cautious post-flop, however, unless you make a monster, because the open-raise came from fairly early position, so you could be up against a monster, including better aces (AK/AQ) that have you dominated. The flop comes AKJ, so you made top and bottom pair; a strong but vulnerable hand. You're only losing to sets and AK, but these are all part of villain's range. While I would generally commit to getting all my chips in the pot at some point, I'm not keen on the line you took. The standard way to play this hand is to check the raiser, to let him make a continuation bet, which he'll do whether he hit this flop or not. If he has a worse hand than yours, he's not likely to pay you off if you bet into him like you did. When you lead out with a "donkbet", the villain can fold hands like TT for no additional losses, but you should want the villain to put money in the pot with hands like TT, QQ, AQ etc. If you check, then he will bet his entire range, and you get your value from it, either by calling and letting him continue to bet with worse (or to bluff) or by raising and forcing him into a commitment decision.
As played, you led out and villain raised. This is a warning sign. He likes this flop, and I would be concerned you're crushed, even with two pairs. AK is probably the mpst likely holding, but KK or even pocket aces are out there too. If this villain is loose aggressive, he might even show up with QT for a flopped straight. Unfortunately, you started the hand fairly short-stacked, so you're more or less forced to go with the hand and hope villain is getting crazy with QQ, AQ, or perhaps the same hand as you. If he has a set of kings or jacks, then you could hit another ace, but that's not going to happen often. With a deeper stack, you could perhaps just call and consider folding on the turn if villain bombs it, but with the pot getting big and your remaining stack so short, jamming it in is OK. The cards go on their backs and you get the bad news. You have just 2 outs (aces) to improve to the nut full house, but villain's set holds, and indeed improves to a flush.
I think that the size of your stack made this a situation where you were committed in what is an unlucky cooler. I would probably have gone broke here myself. That being said, I would not have taken the same line as you. I would check to the raiser on the flop, to see how much he bet, in order to try and work out the strength of his hand and keep the pot size under control. After that I would have either called or check-raised, but all those diamonds hitting the board might have saved me from going broke.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#15)
Thank You very much for the reply, the hand analysis makes a lot of sense and makes me rethink the play I made.

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 07:47 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Please let us know as soon as you pass the Cash Game Quiz

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 08:08 AM
(#17)
I did pass the quiz.

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 04:23 AM
(#18)
bump

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 07:40 AM
(#19)
also i was wondering if i can deposit meanwhile

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 08:58 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I did pass the quiz.
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com