Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL zoom 6max - OP facing shove OTT

Old
5 NL zoom 6max - OP facing shove OTT - Fri Sep 27, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain: 27 hands, 27/23/9, AF=4, WWSF=3/4

opinions?

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

Hero (Button) ($6.33)
SB ($5)
BB ($5.17)
UTG ($5.49)
MP ($5.07)
CO ($5.16)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J, J
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, SB raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.28

Flop: ($0.85) 5, 8, 4 (2 players)
SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.65) 7 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.86, SB raises to $4.20 (All-In), Hero calls $3.34

River: ($10.05) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $10.05 | Rake: $0.42

Old
Fri Sep 27, 2013, 09:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
This is a fairly standard Baluga theorem spot, and I recommend folding to the turn check-raise. You're only beating TT, 99 and , and are crushed by villain's value range overall, which includes small pairs that made sets, 66/A6s that made a straight, and QQ+ that has a better overpair.
It's a small sample size, but this villain has a high 3-bet number, so I'd expect small pairs and some suited aces to be in his light 3-betting range for the SB.
When he check-raises the turn, it's almost never a bluff. Your one pair is no good.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Fri Sep 27, 2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 04:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
Hmm, right. I think this is my downfall as a poker player. I knew I should fold, but then again I thought a) there is no need to shove b) shoving is bad if he has monster c) most logical shove would be having draw d) he is aggressive in nature e)! it is blind situation

Whoa I'm getting better, I did actually thought all that in 5 seconds in the table. Unfortunately I'm still not skilled enough to have reasonable hand range analysis.

I do get these spots right just enough that I keep doing it and never learn the basics.

There is one point to make here thought, in video someone (maybe Gareth) said that baluga theorem doesn’t really hold on 3b pots.

Last edited by braveslice; Sat Sep 28, 2013 at 04:27 AM..

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Your points are well made. I agree that a shove with a value hand is somewhat illogical, but this is 5NL. Villains do illogical things all the time.
That being said, if villain is capable of ranging you, it looks a lot like you have an overpair. If villain has QQ+, a set or a straight, he'll expect you to pay him off, precisely because this is a 3-bet pot.
To some extent, Baluga doesn't apply to 3-bet pots, and it's because of the stack to pot ratio and the fact that it's "standard" to stack off with an overpair in 3-bet pots. The pot is usually so big on the turn, that you are "committed" to calling off the rest of your stack after betting the flop and turn. And that's one of the reasons why villain is shoving for value. He expects you to call. He'd be pretty crazy to shove with a draw in this spot, because you're not going to fold very often.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Sep 28, 2013 at 05:52 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com