Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLH 50cent 45 man turbo

Old
NLH 50cent 45 man turbo - Fri Sep 27, 2013, 08:10 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
ChromeStar
I feel quite annoyed at myself for this, however, in my defence, how he flat called on the flop with the 2 diamonds and 4 players being in the pot it led me to beleive he was on a flush draw. I thought he was betting because i showed weakness with my check on the flop...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...788_71B799A65E

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 12:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi BUTTCHIN0707!

With QQ, I get a min-raise in front of me. I'm going to 3-bet here and the key is the sizing of it. I need to raise to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-size raise and especially early in a turbo, I'm always going to opt for the largest part of this range. Due to this, I will raise to 120. I do not want to raise smaller than this because it invites others into the hand to try to outdraw me, as I can be giving them the odds to do so. Early in a tourney, there will be enough that will stay with ATC, that I don't want to invite more in.

I see a 4-way flop with an overcard and multiple straight/flush draws. When it checks to me, I'm going to take my one shot to win the hand and make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps, I need to bet 3/4 pot, so I will bet 293. I do not want to bet less than this or I can be giving the opp the right odds to try to outdraw me. If I give them the right odds and they do outdraw me, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The turn pairs the board and with the opp calling the first two bets, I need to check/fold the turn because the opp should have a K here. They may have a draw, but with as low as the blinds are, I can still have a playable stack by folding. Any reasonable bet (std is 1/2 pot), pot commits me and I don't want to be pot committed this early in the tourney when I can easily be behind with only 2 outs.

The keys here are to make standard bets. By betting too small, I give the opps the right odds to try to outdraw me. With a made hand, I want to make them make a -EV call of my bets... a call where they will lose chips on average, each and every time.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 02:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Agree with JWK here,but in fairness,for another 30 chips I don't see the villain folding the KQo here and once that K flopped he's never going away.

Bump it up more pre-flop in spots like this,but in this particular one I doubt it would have mattered.

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 07:04 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
ChromeStar
cheers guys

The reason why I said I was annoyed at myself in the 1st place is because normally I woulda done the same as you mentioned JK. But its great to confirm it... I was just a bit loose and donkish there... Go me for having the discipline and stopping there and then for the night as I notied I wasn't laying my best

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com