Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Turned set on 4 to straight board. Check behind good?

Old
Turned set on 4 to straight board. Check behind good? - Sat Sep 28, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012

Both players who call are loose passives. Button is 58/2 over 65 hands. SB 36/6 after 77 hands. Fairly passive post flop too.

I have an overpair to the flop and cbet, having raised first in obv. pre. I also have OESD.

The two villains can be in there with a lot of hands including hands that have straight draws, two pair type hands, overpairs of course but they might be more aggressive with an overpair.

Anyway, turn brings an 8, gives me a set, but also puts four to a straight on the board. I immediately feel a bit uneasy about my hand. The SB checks, I check behind, and the button checks. The result of the hand is fairly irrelevant after this point.

I just want to check my line on the turn here. Should I be sticking out a small value bet? Or is my check behind fine given the soaking wet nature of the board?

Any cooments on the hand altogether are welcomed too of course.

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 09:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
I honestly think your line is fine here.

Don't see any reason not to shove river though. Try and get max value if V4 has a straight and calls.

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I think you played it well.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bhoy,

I agree, the play is fine on the turn. While the read given doesn't say anything about post flop play other than passive (do they station down or play more fit or fold?) it's pretty hard to get called by worse hands here save for 2 pairs if they're stationy. If they have a straight we can get river value when we fill from these types as well.

100% agree on shoving the river, V4 is super loose passive, he's not folding if he has a 9 for any amount, but probably not raising either, so we are losing $3.43 of value from him when he's got it.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Sep 30, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi bhoy,

I agree, the play is fine on the turn. While the read given doesn't say anything about post flop play other than passive (do they station down or play more fit or fold?) it's pretty hard to get called by worse hands here save for 2 pairs if they're stationy. If they have a straight we can get river value when we fill from these types as well.

100% agree on shoving the river, V4 is super loose passive, he's not folding if he has a 9 for any amount, but probably not raising either, so we are losing $3.43 of value from him when he's got it.
Aggression factor is 1.4 for button and 1.2 for the SB. They are capable of raising but I assume are happy to be stations when drawing.

On checking the fold to cbet stats. Button folds to 40% of cbets with SB folding to nearly 80% of cbets.

I accept the point about shoving river rather than raising.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com