Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO Open Skill League - AA on the BB against 3 limps - did I play it right?

Old
PSO Open Skill League - AA on the BB against 3 limps - did I play it right? - Sat Sep 28, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hi everyone. It's the first time I post a hand for your opinion, so if something is missing please ask.

Open Skill League tournament, first hour, AA on the BB. Lucky me? I was around 20BB so definitelly not in push/fold preflop mode this time, also first hour isn't yet +points for leaderboard for me.

My image on the table was tight and quite passive I believe, considering not many hands played and folding on the flop/turn if got there checking from BB.

Not much to say about opponents, but they raised/called much more % of hands then me. Villain_4 isn't registered PSO player, so he did not risk any points, vilain_7 is a PSO player.

Yet I wonder if I could do something better after I raised preflop 3BB+1BB for each limp... EDIT: Oh. In fact i rised 2BB+1 per each, considering I already was on BB.

I know I was at least 3:1, closer to 4:1 or more on average against anything except 33, 99 or QQ with that flop, quesion is how should I use this fact.

1) What better could I do, shove AA preflop (not ITM yet so not really want to risk being busted, at least not before I see dry flop)?

2) Was bigstack's play reasonable with bottom pair and low kicker, facing over 50% of the pot shove from the preflop riser?

3) Can I assume that I played it right and this was just the one I lost, where other 4 times I will win?

Any advices on how to play better in this kind of multi-limp and multihand AA situation will be apreciated.

I'm not very experienced player, just learning, so I ask you to not laugh too loud if the questions are silly

Last edited by Blondyna1410; Sat Sep 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 01:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Blondyna1410!

With AA in the BB (or from any other position), I'm going to make a standard raise and for this blind level, it's to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limps, I will raise to 5.5BB or 1100.
I start with #BB+1BB for each limper, lower it to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper at 100/200, then lower again to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper at 1k/2k.

1) I'm definitely not shoving preflop here, as if I lose, I'm getting negative points (and a higher negative since it's the end of the month). Also, my bet does not pot-commit me.

The flop is a good one for me (at least there are no combo draws). I'm going to make a standard value bet and with 2 opps, the standard sizing is 2/3 pot.... BUT... this is more than my stack, so I'm shoving the flop. The hand that I'm worried about the most is not a set, it's Q9.

2) the opp has to call 2615 into a pot of 9290 (28%). They should be assuming they're behind and if so, they have 6 outs to improve. From the rule of 4 and 2, each out is worth 4%, so their hand is worth 24%. This means that they have a -EV call and will lose 4% of their chips on average... and should fold.

3) Not sure where your 4 out of 5 comes from, as it's way too high against 2 opps. With one opp being a PSO member, if they're not a maniac, they should be playing a top 5-10% hand. The other opp is going to be much wider, so I'll use a 70% range, which is where 34s is added. When I put these ranges into pokerstove, AA will only win here about 70% of the time. The more opps that are in the pot, the worse AA will play.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 02:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2013
Thank you very much for reply.

1) O.K. that assures me about the way I bet it.
2) That confirms my one unwritten concern - my stack was too low to bet much above their EV+ level for that pot, making the situation more risky for my hand at that point.
3) Of course you are right. It's nowhere close to 4:1.

I will keep all of that in mind, thanks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com