Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Live Training /

A Q&A spin off / calling all-ins 3-way with premiums

Old
A Q&A spin off / calling all-ins 3-way with premiums - Sat Sep 28, 2013, 08:59 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
There was a question in training about calling two all-in shoves with KK?

Discussion develops but in my experience it has been a losing option to call with premium hands in multi-way pots basically for your tournament.

Anyway I did go against my gut feeling twice in the same Fifty50 tournament both in 3-way pots first with:

AA vs two under pairs

and then with

AK vs two Ace rags

So basically it's bingo 50/50.

Result was 2nd place for $14 but it cost me, in the end result, losing $10 equity in chips making the AK call.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sat Sep 28, 2013 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: result

Old
Sat Sep 28, 2013, 11:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I missed the training, but I'm pretty much never folding AA except in particularly strange circumstances, such as a satellite in which I'm guaranteed to win a ticket by folding every hand. KK is usually playable in all circumstances too (including when faced by a double shove), except perhaps in some fifty/50s on the immediate bubble when winning chips will add little to my net winnings. AK is significantly weaker than AA and KK. I've lost count of how many times I've folded AK in multiway pots in regular tourneys, let alone fifties or satellites. I'm not really sure why some people treat AK like it's the nuts. In the long run, it only wins heads up flips about 50% of the time. Aces and kings have winrates in excess of 80%.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 01:26 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks Arty,

I get what your saying. In this format game is very critical.

Your post - this came in on email and I can't get back to the forum with the random 404 errors.

Using another browser

My tweet that you did very well against 3 million is genuine respect. My social media skills are lacking.

@tag or #tag oops - I hope someone @ millions of fish understands.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 01:28 AM..

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Forrest,

On level 1 of a tournament (still deep stacked) AK is much worse facing multiple all ins, and I am folding it here quite easily in many cases. It's too often that someone has the worse ace or another AK (sharing your outs), while someone has a pair, putting you in bad shape. If you're up against AK/AQ and 88 for example your equity is only 27% and you're contributing 33% of the pot. If it's an event with a fast structure and all kinds of insanely bad shoving on level 1 (the example we used was a freeroll or .10c 360-man), then AK performs much better and we can consider it. We didn't discuss AK during the strategy Q&A, so not sure why you translated the discussion of KK to AK, but I hope this helps clarify.

BTW, against those same hands (AK/AQ and 88) AA has 71.6% equity while KK has 55%, both very +EV calls.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old
Sun Sep 29, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
but it cost me, in the end result, losing $10 equity in chips making the AK call.
Don't be results oriented. vs. 2 ace-rags your equity is 55%, it's a great result even though you didn't win this individual hand. They key is to assess their ranges and make the best decision based on that. If they're loose/crazy or we have that expectation (like in a freeroll or .10c 360) then calling with AK is fine. If we expect more sane stack off ranges, then folding the AK is better.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com